The Student Room Group

Civil Service Direct Appointment Scheme 2018 (Discussion Thread)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mims_55
I didn't, got 9.14.
What do you think their methods are?

I was just wondering if they were holding people above a certain mark in case they get some extra places on the fast stream and need to lower the pass mark...probably just wishful thinking!
I received an email as well. Does anyone know what the process is? they say they don't guarantee a job but also say in the FAQ that you won't have to go through any further application process. So do they just shop you around to departments that match your skillset and if they say yes you have a job?
Just had the email too - fingers crossed.
Original post by lipstickshoes
Just had the email too - fingers crossed.

Ah so looks like a new batch of e-mails have gone out. Would you guys mind sharing your scheme and score? No worries if not.
Original post by scottypilgrims
I received an email as well. Does anyone know what the process is? they say they don't guarantee a job but also say in the FAQ that you won't have to go through any further application process. So do they just shop you around to departments that match your skillset and if they say yes you have a job?

I get the impression this is how it works and that maybe you have a conversation with your potential line manager rather than an interview as such - there's a 2017 DAS thread that isn't too lengthy, would recommend taking a look.
Reply 25
I also got an email for this today! Wasn't expecting it - I only got a 8.95 at AC (for Social Research).

Anyone know how likely it is that a job will come out of this, if you have been invited to apply? i.e. do they invite a lot of people to apply and only few get jobs, or does being invited to apply mean you have a pretty good chance of being appointed somewhere?
Reply 26
Original post by IIXIXV
Hey guys!

So I completed by FSAC on December 6th (Project Delivery) and found out a few weeks later that I didn't get in. However, I received an email on the 27th February 2018 that because I was "narrowly unsuccessful", I may still be able to join the Civil Service through the DAS.

But, in the email I received it says it is "unlikely" that any position will be offered for a start date after the end of August. This is problematic for me because I'm currently doing a Masters and my dissertation due date is also the end of August, so an ideal start date for me would be the time which the CS have said it is "unlikely" for me to get a position.

Has anyone been in a similar boat? Any advice on what I should do?

Any help would be much appreciated!

I am in exactly the same boat - currently doing a masters and dissertation not due until end of August.

I'm not sure what's the best thing to do I'm afraid - have you considered working whilst still doing your dissertation? That's what I'm considering doing, though not sure how feasible it is!

Does anyone know if we'd be more likely to be offered a position if we say we are available sooner on our form? I might tell them that August would be my preferred start-date but that I could work sooner if necessary.
Original post by littleone123
Ah so looks like a new batch of e-mails have gone out. Would you guys mind sharing your scheme and score? No worries if not.

9.08 and social research. I had 2+ in each section if that helps.
Reply 28
I got 9.1 at FSAC for finance and also received the email yesterday - I'm assuming not many email batches have gone out so far? If i remember correctly they said the final scores would only be set towards the end of Feb. Could be a good sign if so. Fingers crossed.
I got 9.59 in the AC and heard nothing ...
Reply 30
Hey guys,
I actually passed the FSAC but then fell slightly short at the FSB. Anyone know how it works for people in my situation, since DAS seems to be for people who didn't pass the FSAC.
What was the date that you had to return the form by those of you who just got the email?
Original post by JoeCairns93
I got 9.59 in the AC and heard nothing ...

Yep, someone got 10.17 and hasn't heard, their strategy seems odd!
Reply 33
It says return asap but no later than 12th of March - so not much time at all
Reply 34
Original post by uctqcfb
I am in exactly the same boat - currently doing a masters and dissertation not due until end of August.

I'm not sure what's the best thing to do I'm afraid - have you considered working whilst still doing your dissertation? That's what I'm considering doing, though not sure how feasible it is!

Does anyone know if we'd be more likely to be offered a position if we say we are available sooner on our form? I might tell them that August would be my preferred start-date but that I could work sooner if necessary.

So basically, I did a mad dash with some emails and I ended up writing something like this on my form: that ideally I would like to start after August, but if needs be I can start anytime after May. I confirmed with my uni that I can delay the deadline of my dissertation, which would be give me more weekends to work on my dissertation (e.g., between June and August, I have 24 days/12 weekends, delaying my dissertation would give me some extra days!). But I'm not sure, everything is very uncertain!
Reply 35
Original post by IIXIXV
So basically, I did a mad dash with some emails and I ended up writing something like this on my form: that ideally I would like to start after August, but if needs be I can start anytime after May. I confirmed with my uni that I can delay the deadline of my dissertation, which would be give me more weekends to work on my dissertation (e.g., between June and August, I have 24 days/12 weekends, delaying my dissertation would give me some extra days!). But I'm not sure, everything is very uncertain!

I did the same on my form - wrote my preferred start date would be August/September but would be willing to start sooner if necessary!! Yeah its a bit stressful, but I'm sure it would be workable if it came to it
Reply 36
Original post by uctqcfb
I did the same on my form - wrote my preferred start date would be August/September but would be willing to start sooner if necessary!! Yeah its a bit stressful, but I'm sure it would be workable if it came to it

I'll be honest, I genuinely felt like as I was writing out the start date section I was kinda kissing a job goodbye, but thought "hey! Don't have anything to lose by sending it!"--so let's hope something good comes out for both of us!!
Reply 37
Does anybody know the likelihood of actually being offered a role through DAS? Is the fact that we received the initial email a sign that there's a good chance we'll get a job out of this or does only a select few actually get something?
Reply 38
Hola-

So I know someone who got the DAS scheme with a score of 10.7 so that's on the higher range.

Also, likelyhood depends on your scores and chosen departments though it seems a lot of people got DAS job offers last year :smile:

Good luck!
Original post by CRob
Hola-

So I know someone who got the DAS scheme with a score of 10.7 so that's on the higher range.

Also, likelyhood depends on your scores and chosen departments though it seems a lot of people got DAS job offers last year :smile:

Good luck!

how do you know? will the scores still matter even though we've already received the initial email?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending