The Student Room Group

Any other Asian guys "put off" from approaching white girls?

I don't mean in terms of anything to do with the girls but to do with the associated stigma regarding Asian guys and white girls.

If I'm interested in a girl but she's white, I'll always feel put off from pursuing anything because of how society views these relationships. I feel like the girl or guy is more likely to be judged in this relationship and so it's off putting and can be said for both the women and the guys in this situation.

Another thing that comes into my mind is regarding how white girls will perceive being approached by/dating an Asian guy. I always feel like I have to prove I'm not a walking stereotype and that I'm chill. Like white girls will be put off from the get go because of being Asian and so it's like an uphill battle. Hence, it makes me doubt approaching them as I feel like it'd be a waste of time to try.

Any other Asian guys feel like this? Girls what do you think? Sorry I had to specifically point of white girls but the stigma is associated around there.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't mean in terms of anything to do with the girls but to do with the associated stigma regarding Asian guys and white girls.

If I'm interested in a girl but she's white, I'll always feel put off from pursuing anything because of how society views these relationships. I feel like the girl or guy is more likely to be judged in this relationship and so it's off putting and can be said for both the women and the guys in this situation.

Another thing that comes into my mind is regarding how white girls will perceive being approached by/dating an Asian guy. I always feel like I have to prove I'm not a walking stereotype and that I'm chill. Like white girls will be put off from the get go because of being Asian and so it's like an uphill battle. Hence, it makes me doubt approaching them as I feel like it'd be a waste of time to try.

Any other Asian guys feel like this? Girls what do you think? Sorry I had to specifically point of white girls but the stigma is associated around there.

With a lot of things, you just have to screw what anyone else thinks - you don't have to look much further than somewhere like London for interracial couples, including Asian guys with white girls

It just depends on the girl as well - in my experience I've not been rejected because I'm Asian, just a million other things that are wrong with me :rolleyes:
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
It just depends on the girl as well - in my experience I've not been rejected because I'm Asian, just a million other things that are wrong with me :rolleyes:

Member of the female kind here...

I'm really sure there's not a million things... There might be like 10 big ones, if that!
Reply 3
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
With a lot of things, you just have to screw what anyone else thinks - you don't have to look much further than somewhere like London for interracial couples, including Asian guys with white girls

Somewhere like London it would be less of an issue but elsewhere?
I personally wouldn’t be put off by a guy approaching me just cuz he’s Asian, but I know my Asian friends think it’s super creepy and dodgy if an Asian guy is interested in a white girl which I don’t understand :s-smilie:. I hadn’t really considered it being a stigma before, but from this thread I see what you mean. I wish it wasn’t this way, I know it’s hard enough to work up the confidence to talk to someone else without worrying about what society thinks.
Reply 5
Original post by PricklyButSweet
I personally wouldn’t be put off by a guy approaching me just cuz he’s Asian, but I know my Asian friends think it’s super creepy and dodgy if an Asian guy is interested in a white girl which I don’t understand :s-smilie:. I hadn’t really considered it being a stigma before, but from this thread I see what you mean. I wish it wasn’t this way, I know it’s hard enough to work up the confidence to talk to someone else without worrying about what society thinks.

Yeah, that's essentially what I mean. It seems like you didn't really know about it until you thought about it and then realised.

Honestly mate you are overthinking it, I know plenty of Asian lads in my area who have no problems with white girls and no one judges them for it.

This is why I do not like the news and social media of today, it inflates issues and makes people such as yourself uncomfortable, don't listen to that rubbish my friend, you are fine as you are and you are only holding yourself back.

You sound exactly like my Malaysia mate haha, although I think it is down to him a fair bit too.
Meh, if she is peng, then she is peng... Idc who it is
But weirdly enough, I don't like pale skin anyways cos its not my type
Might be society influencing that and me deluding myself, but idk and idc
stick to your own
Reply 10
or maybe its cos you know you're likely to get rejected anyway, thats why you don't approach
Depends on the city.

If its somewhere like London then not really. If its somewhere like Belfast then perhaps.
Original post by Nerry
or maybe its cos you know you're likely to get rejected anyway, thats why you don't approach

Yeah thats what I was saying. Like there's a stigma associated with Asian guys.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending