The Student Room Group

Black Box University address

Hello,
I have had mixed reviews on this subject matter. However I have only just passed my driving test and looking to insure my car. It seems a lot cheaper to put down my parents address with a multi car policy with a black box. However I do live at uni for a few more months. Will the black box know if I am not always at my parents address? Because this will make a saving of over a £1000 or am I better off without the box?
Reply 1
Typically as a student you are allowed to insure yourself at your parents address I think (assuming you return there for the holidays). You should definitely phone up the insurer though and double check with them that it is allowed, just in case.
Phone with your insurer, what they may do is charge you an increased premium for a few months whilst you're still at Uni and then just tell you to ring them back when you're done at Uni and swap to your parents address for a cheaper premium. Can ask them to waive the fee there. Failing that if you're spending most of the year at home, then that is what in my opinion you should put your address as but always best to check. I also support Dez's opinion on this matter too.

If they say "nah it's going to be the increased premium for being at Uni" - tell them to get stuffed and ring around, I'm sure at least one insurer will be happy for you to put your parent's address down.

And yes you are always better off without a box.
Reply 3
Original post by Dez
Typically as a student you are allowed to insure yourself at your parents address I think (assuming you return there for the holidays).

I've never heard of this being the case - usually, the address you put down is the address where the vehicle will be kept the majority of the time overnight, for risk analysis. Assuming University lasts 9 months of the year, the address needs to be the University address.

Original post by blinkers
Hello,
I have had mixed reviews on this subject matter. However I have only just passed my driving test and looking to insure my car. It seems a lot cheaper to put down my parents address with a multi car policy with a black box. However I do live at uni for a few more months. Will the black box know if I am not always at my parents address? Because this will make a saving of over a £1000 or am I better off without the box?

You don't get to pick and choose, I'm afraid. Yes, the black box will pick up on your location, and your insurer will get a bit pissy over it if they spot it, especially if you need to claim whilst the car is parked at University.
Original post by IWMTom
I've never heard of this being the case - usually, the address you put down is the address where the vehicle will be kept the majority of the time overnight, for risk analysis. Assuming University lasts 9 months of the year, the address needs to be the University address.

You don't get to pick and choose, I'm afraid. Yes, the black box will pick up on your location, and your insurer will get a bit pissy over it if they spot it, especially if you need to claim whilst the car is parked at University.

I can't tell if s/he's just at Uni for 3 more months then s/he's done or whether it's just for summer break.
Reply 5
Original post by nevershear
I can't tell if s/he's just at Uni for 3 more months then s/he's done or whether it's just for summer break.

Good point - let's wait and see.
Reply 6
I am in my last year so will only be at uni for 3 more months then heading home.
Reply 7
I am in my last year so will only be at uni for 3 more months then heading home.

This is one to ask your prospective insurer, but I'd say you'd need to take the policy out with your University address, and then update it once you've moved home.
Reply 8

You'd need to change your occupation in 3 months time as well then since you won't be a student any more, which will likely affect your premium regardless of the address thing. So I'd go with Tom's advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending