The Student Room Group

someone is catfishing as me?

I got a message from a friend yesterday asking me about how I am finding Tinder, I have never used Tinder or have any plans on using it, I personally find online dating artificial so this confused me massively. He said that I matched with one of his male friends from work so I am on it. Later, he got a screenshot of my profile and it was pictures of me from my instagram and my name. This catfish is using my pictures to match with local gay guys and I am straight! I am afraid he is going to say something or do something that will slander me, I don't care if people think I am gay but it could massively hinder my chances to get with girls on nights out and eventually get in a relationship with a girl. What do I do??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by niallh1
I got a message from a friend yesterday asking me about how I am finding Tinder, I have never used Tinder or have any plans on using it, I personally find online dating artificial so this confused me massively. He said that I matched with one of his male friends from work so I am on it. Later, he got a screenshot of my profile and it was pictures of me from my instagram and my name. This catfish is using my pictures to match with local gay guys and I am straight! I am afraid he is going to say something or do something that will slander me, I don't care if people think I am gay but it could massively hinder my chances to get with girls on nights out and eventually get in a relationship with a girl. What do I do??

Can you report the profile to Tinder?
You should contact tinder and report the profile.
Reply 3
Original post by Tiger Rag
Can you report the profile to Tinder?

I am not on Tinder, so I think to report it i'd have to make a profile myself and match with it? Surely if I make a real profile and I try to match with them they won't match with me therefore I'd not be able to report it
Reply 4
Original post by niallh1

It's probably your friend doing the catfishing

If I saw one of my straight friends had matched with a work colleague I wouldn't be like "oh, so how's Tinder?" ...i'd be like "dude?, I never knew you were gay!?"
Reply 5
Are you that fit they'd catfish using your pics bro
Reply 6
Original post by SMEGGGY
Are you that fit they'd catfish using your pics bro

I wouldn't say i'm ugly and I keep fit from playing football but my looks have nothing to do with why I got catfished. I don't know I feel like it's a more reputation thing. Like a lot of people don't like me because the guys I hang around are kind of d1cks but well known.
Reply 7
Original post by ANM775
It's probably your friend doing the catfishing

If I saw one of my straight friends had matched with a work colleague I wouldn't be like "oh, so how's Tinder?" ...i'd be like "dude?, I never knew you were gay!?"

My friend did say question my sexuality but he was asking me how finding a guy was going. Like he was taking the p*ss out of me
Reply 8
Original post by niallh1
I wouldn't say i'm ugly and I keep fit from playing football but my looks have nothing to do with why I got catfished. I don't know I feel like it's a more reputation thing. Like a lot of people don't like me because the guys I hang around are kind of d1cks but well known.

Reputation won't lure lads on Tinder it has to be looks. Are you a ****?

I doubt girls will know you're on Tinder if they've set it to men/guys only.

Report it if its such a concern
Reply 9
Original post by SMEGGGY
Reputation won't lure lads on Tinder it has to be looks. Are you a ****?

I doubt girls will know you're on Tinder if they've set it to men/guys only.

Report it if its such a concern

No I mean reputation as people will spread the word that I look for guys on Tinder to other people because word gets around. I would report it but not sure how?
Original post by niallh1
No I mean reputation as people will spread the word that I look for guys on Tinder to other people because word gets around. I would report it but not sure how?

How old are you? Googling is easy lol

https://www.help.tinder.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003359426-How-do-I-report-someone-
Reply 11

17 haha, I can't access those type of websites on school wifi though!
Original post by niallh1
17 haha, I can't access those type of websites on school wifi though!

At home?

It's simple, follow instructions or Internet cafe? If you live in UK, judging by your name, you're Irish from NI/Ireland. So try that mate.
Moved to Relationships
Reply 14
Original post by SMEGGGY
At home?

It's simple, follow instructions or Internet cafe? If you live in UK, judging by your name, you're Irish from NI/Ireland. So try that mate.

yeah will have to wait till weekend bc boarding school haha
Original post by niallh1
yeah will have to wait till weekend bc boarding school haha

Boarding? Damn always wonder why parents send children 🤔
Reply 16
Original post by SMEGGGY
Boarding? Damn always wonder why parents send children 🤔

Haha it was my choice surprisingly!
Original post by niallh1
Haha it was my choice surprisingly!

That's more understandable lol

Can be exciting I'm sure.