The Student Room Group

I am a first year Law Student at Cambridge (Q&A)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jameskwoolley
I did four AS levels but got an E in one of them so I dropped it. Three A-Levels (the highest grades) is all they look at as far as I understand, as this is what they did with me

I got a 4 A level offer for Engineering xD but then again that's because of Further Maths
Original post by mona.dimitrova9
How did you find the interview process? How did you prepare for it?

Sorry for the late response, its been a busy month at Uni. Obviously it can be very daunting, but I'd definitely say that I didn't put too much pressure on myself leading up to it, and I also made sure that I stayed relaxed as much as possible. Obviously revise your material and make sure you have some basic knowledge, but honestly its better to be confident and to make sure that you're relaxed.
Original post by mem123
What did you get for your gcses ?

I got 2A*, 6As and 3Bs- they don't look at them so much at Cambridge as they do Oxford.
Original post by MiriamButcher
How did you prepare for the Cambridge Law Test? I’m currently in Year 11 so I have lots of time to prepare, but I just wanted to know what sort of reading material was useful for you.

Honestly I didn't prepare too much for the law test itself- you can't really read on the material as they don't actually tell you what it is on per se, rather it is more of an aptitude test to see whether you have the right skills. I'd say just make sure that you have the ability to analyse certain materials rather than focusing on reading areas of law or anything like that as this can confuse your revision if you get me. Stay open to any question that may come up and make sure you're okay with writing essays in a well-articulated way. Hope this helps!
Original post by Anonymouspsych
I got a 4 A level offer for Engineering xD but then again that's because of Further Maths

Yeah one of my friends studies Engineering, definitely a very competitive course to get in for
Honestly I didn't prepare too much for the law test itself- you can't really read on the material as they don't actually tell you what it is on per se, rather it is more of an aptitude test to see whether you have the right skills. I'd say just make sure that you have the ability to analyse certain materials rather than focusing on reading areas of law or anything like that as this can confuse your revision if you get me. Stay open to any question that may come up and make sure you're okay with writing essays in a well-articulated way. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the tips! Improving my essay style (especially in English Lit) to be more concise and to the point is currently the bane of my life.
Yeah one of my friends studies Engineering, definitely a very competitive course to get in for

It's a relatively nice offer though there is a B in there xD
It's a relatively nice offer though there is a B in there xD

Yeah definitely, a B in an offer for engineering is really great. Best of luck in getting in, which college may I ask?
Yeah definitely, a B in an offer for engineering is really great. Best of luck in getting in, which college may I ask?

I went for Churchill
I went for Churchill

That’s definitely a solid choice- a lot of Natscis, Engineers and Mathmos apply there so you’ll be in solid company
Reply 30
That’s definitely a solid choice- a lot of Natscis, Engineers and Mathmos apply there so you’ll be in solid company

Have you encountered a Churchill lawyer? They seem to be a rare breed...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Have you encountered a Churchill lawyer? They seem to be a rare breed...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah there's definitely a few around, I had a few criminal law supos with a Churchill lawyer and she's lovely
Reply 32
Yeah there's definitely a few around, I had a few criminal law supos with a Churchill lawyer and she's lovely

Direct or pooled? Direct applicants who get offers seem to be even rarer. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did they accept you with English Language at A level? I thought top unis would consider A level English Language as worthless
Original post by Doonesbury
Direct or pooled? Direct applicants who get offers seem to be even rarer. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as I understand she was pooled perhaps, I can't really remember but I shall be sure to ask her and get back to you!
Please feel free to ask me anything you want to know about the course or the university itself- I know I'd have liked to do this during my A/AS Levels so please feel free to fire away!

Hello! My dream would be to study Law at Cambridge... Just wanted to thank you for reaching out because many of us really appreciate some insider advice.

I have a few questions:

1) How did you choose your college in Cambridge?

2) What was your rationale when choosing your 5 unis?

3) Which 5 unis did you choose to apply to?

4) What 'super curricular activities' did you do at Alevel (activities outside the classroom relating to Law)

5) How did you prepare for the Cambridge Law Test

6) How many interviews did you have and how did you prepare for those interviews at Cambridge?

7) Did you have any work experience before applying? If so, how many?

8) Did you do an EPQ? If so, did you find it helpful?

Kind regards
Original post by shreyhey
Hello! My dream would be to study Law at Cambridge... Just wanted to thank you for reaching out because many of us really appreciate some insider advice.

I have a few questions:

1) How did you choose your college in Cambridge?

2) What was your rationale when choosing your 5 unis?

3) Which 5 unis did you choose to apply to?

4) What 'super curricular activities' did you do at Alevel (activities outside the classroom relating to Law)

5) How did you prepare for the Cambridge Law Test

6) How many interviews did you have and how did you prepare for those interviews at Cambridge?

7) Did you have any work experience before applying? If so, how many?

8) Did you do an EPQ? If so, did you find it helpful?

Kind regards

Hi there, no worries at all glad I can be of service!

1) I was an open application to all colleges but got allocated to Peterhouse (luckily, as it is a lovely college)

2) my rationale was to choose unis that didn’t require the LNAT but were still rated relatively highly- I couldn’t fit in the LNAT around my A Level studies so I just decided to avoid it completely

3) Cambridge, Leeds, York, Newcastle and University of Liverpool (my insurance)

4) I honestly didn’t do anything relating to law outside of the classroom other than a few bits of work experience drafting user agreements for an IT solutions firm, I’m not sure how much they are taken into account

5) I didn’t really prepare too much other than reading a few past papers and reading advice on forums etc as it’s not really something you can revise for as such. Just practising essay writing and structuring of thoughts should be enough

6) there were two interviews and I had no idea what I was going in to in both cases- I had very little information going in to them other than a case study to get interviewed on

7) they don’t take into account work experience on the application, however I used to work a few jobs at home to get a bit of money together. I must’ve had four or five jobs before applying.

8) nope, I didn’t do an EPQ and I’m not too sure if anyone I know did so I’m sorry but I can’t give an insight into that

If you think of anything else then let me know and I’ll get back to you!
Does the Cambridge VI Form Law Conference still run every Easter? If so, I think you ought to try to get involved with the organising committee because in starting this thread you are attempting to advance the very same ends that the conference was established to advance (I was chairman back in 1989 ... )

Also, is Roderick Munday still teaching law at Peterhouse??
Original post by DoNotDivideBy0
Does the Cambridge VI Form Law Conference still run every Easter? If so, I think you ought to try to get involved with the organising committee because in starting this thread you are attempting to advance the very same ends that the conference was established to advance (I was chairman back in 1989 ... )

Also, is Roderick Munday still teaching law at Peterhouse??

That’s not one I’ve heard of but I’ll definitely be sure to have a look this term, would definitely be something that I’m interested in doing. I’ve heard the name Munday before but I believe he’s left, we have Simon Deakin as a fellow currently and Anatara Haldar as our DoS at the moment if this helps.
Hi,

Was just wondering, Have you heard of people studying Law at Cambridge if any of the colleges put the EPQ into the conditional offer letter as well?

Kind regards,
Shreya

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending