The Student Room Group

Civil Service Direct Appointment Scheme 2018 (Discussion Thread)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I received an expression of interest form for HEO today. Failed the FSAC for generalist with 10.16. How likely is it that I will receive a concrete job offer with this?
Reply 81
Hey guys what website did you use for the HESA code?
Reply 82
has anyone heard back after filling out the expression for interest in the EO post?
Reply 83
Original post by AB2580
Hey guys what website did you use for the HESA code?

You should be able to get your course’s HESA code from the uni. I found mine on my undergraduate transcript. Also, if you follow this link you can find general subject codes https://www.hesa.ac.uk/support/documentation/jacs/hesa-codes I hope that helps :smile:
Reply 84
So on the Fast Stream you're expect to reach Grade 7 within 4 years or so.

Does anyone know if it's possible to do it with HEO in the same amount of time, or perhaps in 5 years max?

Also, after how long afterwards can a HEO reasonably apply for SEO?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by unigoer123
So on the Fast Stream you're expect to reach Grade 7 within 4 years or so.

Does anyone know if it's possible to do it with HEO in the same amount of time, or perhaps in 5 years max?

Also, after how long afterwards can a HEO reasonably apply for SEO?

A person I worked with applied directly to a HEO role and was SEO within a year and a half. She's now a grade 7 and it took her around 3 years total. You can start applying for other roles once your probation period is over (i believe it should state on your contract) and you apply for internal jobs
Reply 86
Original post by RedandYellow
A person I worked with applied directly to a HEO role and was SEO within a year and a half. She's now a grade 7 and it took her around 3 years total. You can start applying for other roles once your probation period is over (i believe it should state on your contract) and you apply for internal jobs

That sounds promising. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Billy9
has anyone heard back after filling out the expression for interest in the EO post?

Asking the real questions. Has anyone had any contact with the das. Feels like an elaborate prank
Reply 88
Original post by scottypilgrims
Asking the real questions. Has anyone had any contact with the das. Feels like an elaborate prank

When people start to get replies back I'm sure this thread will light up like a Christmas tree.
What start dates did EO people put?
Reply 90
Anyone else can't start until September because of uni? I hope that won't lower chances of getting a concrete offer.
Original post by unigoer123
Anyone else can't start until September because of uni? I hope that won't lower chances of getting a concrete offer.

I put 1st May as that's my final exam, why hold out till September?
Reply 92
Do you have a dissertation due in Sepetember or are your May exams your last piece of uni work?
Original post by baxter_
Do you have a dissertation due in Sepetember or are your May exams your last piece of uni work?

Dissertation is due on 16th April, then last exam is 1st May, is that not normal?
Reply 94
Original post by Alex Mace
Dissertation is due on 16th April, then last exam is 1st May, is that not normal?

I assume that is for an undergrad degree? Im doing an MA at the moment, tuition has now ended but dissertation is due on 1st September.

Much more interested in securing a CS job though, so might say im available to start work earlier than September... :s
I found this on a Civil Service document, in case anyone finds it useful:

"Direct Appointment Scheme (DAS)

1.5.19 A very small number of candidates who narrowly miss the required standard at FSAC, but who have nevertheless attained a high enough score to indicate that they have the potential to make a worthwhile contribution to the Civil Service, may be offered a place on the Direct Appointment Scheme (DAS). Those suitable for the DAS will be those attaining a score within a certain range, which will be determined in relation to the Fast Stream pass mark. Departments may request Direct Appointees from CSSB if they have a post which cannot be filled through advertising internally or through Jobcentre Plus. Such posts should be specially identified by departments for their challenging and developmental content, and tend to be graded at EO level. The intention is not necessarily to prepare Direct Appointees for another attempt at the Fast Stream competition, though it is quite likely that time spent as a Direct Appointee will enhance chances of success in subsequent applications, perhaps through the In-Service Fast Stream Competition. "

Here's the link:
https://track.unodc.org/LegalLibrary/LegalResources/United%20Kingdom%20-%20England%20and%20Wales/Laws/England%20and%20Wales%20Civil%20Service%20Management%20Code.pdf
Original post by RedandYellow
Just got an expression of interest form for an HEO position. I was unsuccessful FSAC but got a score of 10.17 in case anyone is in a similar boat to me! I had previously emailed and said they will be contacting people throughout the week :smile: best of luck to everyone still waiting!

Hey, was just wondering who you e-mailed to ask about this? Doesn't look like anyone else heard this week so I'd be interested to contact them to get more info.
Hey, I put in my expression of interest form in on 8th March. I got an email yesterday saying HMRC was interested in taking me on and would contact me by the 6th April with details about the role. I applied to be an Economist in the Fast Stream and scored 9.04 at FSAC.
Reply 98
Original post by kburns1996
Hey, I put in my expression of interest form in on 8th March. I got an email yesterday saying HMRC was interested in taking me on and would contact me by the 6th April with details about the role. I applied to be an Economist in the Fast Stream and scored 9.04 at FSAC.

That’s wonderful news! Can I ask, was your expression of interest from aknowledged when you sent it?
Thanks! Yeah I got an automatic response email when I sent in my expression of interest form saying it had been received.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending