The Student Room Group

Becoming a forensic psychologist...

I have a few questions to anybody who could help.

1. Do you need a degree in psychology? Would a criminology/crim+psych degree suffice?

2. How should I go about finding relevant work experience? Before attending university, during or after graduating?

3. Do GCSE grades or A-Level choices matter?
Original post by Criminalis
I have a few questions to anybody who could help.

1. Do you need a degree in psychology? Would a criminology/crim+psych degree suffice?

2. How should I go about finding relevant work experience? Before attending university, during or after graduating?

3. Do GCSE grades or A-Level choices matter?

1. https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/forensic-psychologist
2.. Just id what work experience might be relevant and apply on spec or after making initial enquiries. Before uni might be ok to help you get on a course, during might make you more employable.
3. If you can do the relevant core subjects which they require at each level, then it matters very little. the entry pages will tell you what you need in terms of GCSE and A level subjects.

https://www.seven-resourcing.com/criminal-justice/news/the-path-to-criminal-psychology-jobs-which-is-best/
1. Having a degree in psychology would be a good starting point, but if you choose to do another subject there's always accredited psychology conversion courses (PgDip or MSc) that enable you to achieve Graduate membership of the BPS, which is what you need to become a chartered psychologist. Then you'd need a Masters.

2. You can find work experience in a variety of places. Call centres ran by charities are option, as is anything working with disadvantaged people. Be aware that you often have to be 21 to volunteer in a prison which can limit you.

3. An acceptable standard of English and Maths is required in pretty much any job, but generally GCSE's/A Levels won't have a huge impact if you get the undergraduate degree in psychology and then a Masters. My A Levels were all science as I've always been interested in science in general (original plan was to go into forensic chemistry) but you could do anything, as long you pass them and get into uni.
Reply 3
There is an undergrad in forensic psychology, but it’s not the only route. You could undergrad in psychology, either way you still have to go on to do a masters.

Forensic psychologist is my long term goal, but i’m doing criminology and psychology Bsc for a broader base of understanding. Your GCSE and A level results will depend on the university rather than the course.
Reply 4
Original post by bones-mccoy
1. Having a degree in psychology would be a good starting point, but if you choose to do another subject there's always accredited psychology conversion courses (PgDip or MSc) that enable you to achieve Graduate membership of the BPS, which is what you need to become a chartered psychologist. Then you'd need a Masters.

2. You can find work experience in a variety of places. Call centres ran by charities are option, as is anything working with disadvantaged people. Be aware that you often have to be 21 to volunteer in a prison which can limit you.

3. An acceptable standard of English and Maths is required in pretty much any job, but generally GCSE's/A Levels won't have a huge impact if you get the undergraduate degree in psychology and then a Masters. My A Levels were all science as I've always been interested in science in general (original plan was to go into forensic chemistry) but you could do anything, as long you pass them and get into uni.

Thanks for your response.

1. I'm considering psychology or psychology and criminology right now at undergraduate, but I guess psychology would be the better choice.

2. Thanks!

3. Would you consider doing a PhD?
Reply 5
Original post by cat_mac
There is an undergrad in forensic psychology, but it’s not the only route. You could undergrad in psychology, either way you still have to go on to do a masters.

Forensic psychologist is my long term goal, but i’m doing criminology and psychology Bsc for a broader base of understanding. Your GCSE and A level results will depend on the university rather than the course.

The undergrad in forensic psych isn't offered at many unis, I'd love to do it but I think it's a bit risky so doing psychology would be a better choice.

I've been considering criminology and psychology too, is it a less effective course than just psych for becoming a forensic psychologist?
Thanks for your response.

1. I'm considering psychology or psychology and criminology right now at undergraduate, but I guess psychology would be the better choice.

2. Thanks!

3. Would you consider doing a PhD?

Unless I found an area I was particularly interested in and passionate about in the future, then no. It's taken me a long time and 3 courses to get where I am now and I still have to do my Masters, although I love learning I just want to get out there and start working.
Reply 7
Original post by bones-mccoy
Unless I found an area I was particularly interested in and passionate about in the future, then no. It's taken me a long time and 3 courses to get where I am now and I still have to do my Masters, although I love learning I just want to get out there and start working.

Could a BPS accredited course in Psychology and Criminology allow you to become a forensic psychologist?

Sorry for asking so many questions but I don't want to make any mistakes.
Could a BPS accredited course in Psychology and Criminology allow you to become a forensic psychologist?

Yes. As long as the course is accredited, you're all good. You'd have to do the Masters after.

Had a friend do that, although the criminology bit was within Sociology. But don't let that deter you, crime always falls under ones disposition and external factors. Maybe a good course, i'll let you research it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending