The Student Room Group

Want to Travel but can't.

Hello all,

So I am 19 years of age and a female. I really want to travel, but I am restricted, parents won't allow me to go alone & my friends aren't the travelling type

Any recommendations on what to do???
Travel buddies???

Scroll to see replies

Try and reason with your parents re solo travel. You are past the age of majority.
Just go for it. If your parents aren't being supportive ignore them and live your own life.

Where do you want to go? What do you want to do?
Reply 3
Original post by Duncan2012
Just go for it. If your parents aren't being supportive ignore them and live your own life.

Where do you want to go? What do you want to do?

Lool ffs I cant just go! but yeah around Europe & Africa as those are the places I can afford at the moment
Reply 4
Original post by rockrunride
Try and reason with your parents re solo travel. You are past the age of majority.

I have tried reasoning with my father but hes just completely against the idea of me going alone
Either wait until you're older (you can save up for bigger better trips), or find a group to travel with.

Are you at uni or working at the moment?

If you're at uni then look for something like a travel society or make friends with a sport/activity based society that also happens to travel. If not just poke around google looking for things like meetups of people who are looking for people to travel with.

If all else fails try STA travel, I think they also do group travel so maybe your parents will be okay with that?

Once you get started it's dead easy to meet people to travel with, just stick to hostels and young areas and you'll meet tonnes of people.

edit:
Haha sorry just seen that you're in the islamic society, if you have muslim parents then I'd urge you to find a group of girls who are in to travelling. It took years for some of my muslim friends to be allowed to travel without their parents or siblings, especially the girls.
Reply 6
Original post by explicit4u
Either wait until you're older (you can save up for bigger better trips), or find a group to travel with.

Are you at uni or working at the moment?

If you're at uni then look for something like a travel society or make friends with a sport/activity based society that also happens to travel. If not just poke around google looking for things like meetups of people who are looking for people to travel with.

If all else fails try STA travel, I think they also do group travel so maybe your parents will be okay with that?

Once you get started it's dead easy to meet people to travel with, just stick to hostels and young areas and you'll meet tonnes of people.

edit:
Haha sorry just seen that you're in the islamic society, if you have muslim parents then I'd urge you to find a group of girls who are in to travelling. It took years for some of my muslim friends to be allowed to travel without their parents or siblings, especially the girls.

Yes my parents are Muslim !!

And yes I have asked my friends but their parents won't allow them! So it sucks
Original post by Saz_23
Hello all,

So I am 19 years of age and a female. I really want to travel, but I am restricted, parents won't allow me to go alone & my friends aren't the travelling type

Any recommendations on what to do???
Travel buddies???

Technically you are an adult and you can do what you want without the permission of your parents. Guess they are worried about the thought that their daughter is on an excursion alone. If you have no money to pay traveling, earn it by working in a part-time job.
Same here, I'm 25 and want to travel but my parents won't let me go alone because i'm muslim (and also they are overprotective)

they say i can go with my sister but i don't want to because shes too bossy, I can go with my brother but i don't want to because hes younger than me and i'd have to spend all the time looking after him and being responsible for him and they did once allow me to go on holiday with my friends but honestly my friends are such a nightmare now i'd rather never travel than go away with them anywhere! i prefer my own company and would just love to be able to travel alone but sadly this is not an option so now i'm just going to have to wait until i get married to start travelling... just hope my husband isn't a pain in the ass as well otherwise i'm screwed.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Saz_23
Yes my parents are Muslim !!

And yes I have asked my friends but their parents won't allow them! So it sucks

Maybe ask to go with a close cousin of yours that is a bit older ?
Original post by MyFightSong
Same here, I'm 25 and want to travel but my parents won't let me go alone because i'm muslim (and also they are overprotective)

they say i can go with my sister but i don't want to because shes too bossy, I can go with my brother but i don't want to because hes younger than me and i'd have to spend all the time looking after him and being responsible for him and they did once allow me to go on holiday with my friends but honestly my friends are such a nightmare now i'd rather never travel than go away with them anywhere! i prefer my own company and would just love to be able to travel alone but sadly this is not an option so now i'm just going to have to wait until i get married to start travelling... just hope my husband isn't a pain in the ass as well otherwise i'm screwed.

make better friends
Original post by Saz_23
Lool ffs I cant just go! but yeah around Europe & Africa as those are the places I can afford at the moment

Just read that now. If you can afford this and if you are old enough to make decisions for your own, I wonder what is the matter with you? afraid of that your parents are enraged with you forever?
You're an adult. Do what you want.
Reply 13
Original post by DrawTheLine
You're an adult. Do what you want.

One is never an adult in an Asian family ://
Reply 14
Original post by Kallisto
Just read that now. If you can afford this and if you are old enough to make decisions for your own, I wonder what is the matter with you? afraid of that your parents are enraged with you forever?

😂😂😂😂loool okay true
Original post by Saz_23
😂😂😂😂loool okay true

Seriously, don't care that your parents don't allow it. Going to the countries you are so fond of travelling.
Reply 16
Original post by Kallisto
Seriously, don't care that your parents don't allow it. Going to the countries you are so fond of travelling.

Well I have to care, I mean I get where they are coming from but it's ridiculous
Original post by Saz_23
One is never an adult in an Asian family ://

You're an adult when you turn 18 regardless of where your family is from. You just feel like you can't do anything. But you're still an adult.
Reply 18
My parents wouldnt let me go on holiday either so I told them that I had a job interview, grabbed my passport and got the next flight to budapest lol. Ever since that (feb 2017) they trusted me on flights etc. Im 20 and have been to 5 countries on my own ever since and have booked 3 more for this year. Honestly, dont let your parents stop you from doing anything, go book your flight.
Reply 19
Original post by pomma
My parents wouldnt let me go on holiday either so I told them that I had a job interview, grabbed my passport and got the next flight to budapest lol. Ever since that (feb 2017) they trusted me on flights etc. Im 20 and have been to 5 countries on my own ever since and have booked 3 more for this year. Honestly, dont let your parents stop you from doing anything, go book your flight.

Omg 😂 pretty good idea, did you go alone or with someone ? Tbh I'm pretty wary about going alone

Quick Reply

Latest