The Student Room Group

Applying for the Civil Service ? This helped me

I applied several times for Civil Service posts and never even got through the sifts. A few weeks ago, a bought a book that was recommended to me and since then, I've had interviews for two posts and I have a second interview coming up soon.

It is called The Civil Service Competencies Book and is by Mike New. It's on Amazon and it helped me to understand what is really required and how to frame my answers.

It might help others here too.
Original post by darrentho
I applied several times for Civil Service posts and never even got through the sifts. A few weeks ago, a bought a book that was recommended to me and since then, I've had interviews for two posts and I have a second interview coming up soon.

It is called The Civil Service Competencies Book and is by Mike New. It's on Amazon and it helped me to understand what is really required and how to frame my answers.

It might help others here too.

Thank you for sharing this! :smile:
I seem to be ok at getting an interview, but really mess up the interview. I do the STAR perfectly. Always say I instead of We. I use all the hits that I can using the competencies. If they just let me rattle out my example it would be great, but they always seem to change it slightly..... like a 'delivering' question, they asked about delivering and how I assisted team members. My example was all about delivering to a customer and making notes concise and full for subsequent caseworkers, and in my flustered attempt in the interview my stupid brain forgot to add example of things I did to assist team members, like sharing g information, helping to solve issues etc.

Loosing the will!!!!!
(edited 5 years ago)
My advise would be to have more than one example prepared. I totally agree it is difficult. I keep getting put on reserve lists!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending