The Student Room Group

English: Othello revision tips!!!

Hello,
Long story short I've missed ALL of Othello and was wondering what the best way was to revise it at A level?

It is a closed book exam so now I'm worrying...

I had gone over the first part of it in class but not anything after the first few scenes which I have kind of forgotten now...

But, today I have gone through Act 1 scene 1 and know most of the key quotes and themes by memory which I will go over regularly! I did this in approx under 2 hours which is kind of long but I know I could have done it in 1 hour but was teaching my sister's which helped me!

Should I have done more today?
Is doing only act 1 scene 1 too little to do???

Any tips on how I should revise?
Where to begin revising from?

I really don't understand WHERE to start nor how to memorise certain things that are needed in the essays.
HOW do I memorise things such as ephitets and other key things and add it in when I have not been taught it nor will be...

Any sample answers?
Any tips on WHAT types of things I need to revise...?
I am both a visual learner and auditory.

I really want to get the best possible grades in my mocks so need all the advice possible!

Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Bump :-)
Bump
Bump
ADVICE PLEASE....

Do I write down key quotes on each character for Each key scene or just the overall act?

So far I've got:
- key quotes for Each character: Each act/scene???

- key quotes for Each character for themes: race, jealousy, gender, prejudice, appearance vs reality, manhood & honour, womanhood & sexuality, love, sex, marriage, manipulation, hate, warfare, identity.... any more???

- key quotes for Each character: language

What other key quotes do I need?

I'm also going to be creating mind maps on each individual

character(s):
- progression throughout play
- character profiles
- relationships to other characters
- language used (Iago- racist.... etc)

Language: each character etc... what else?

Structure .... (what could I talk about???)

Themes (All mentioned above- will make seperate mind maps on all above themes....?)

AO1-5

Also:
When I create the nindmaps for the themes or the key quotes do I do them according to EACH act or EACH scene????

Anything else to create mind maps about or to include in mindmaps?
Should I make notes?
Or just nindmaps?

Tips?
Anything else?

Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
I was thinking should I even 'read' each act/scene? Can't I just read the summaries and look for quotes for characters, themes, language etc online?
What do you think?
Thanks
Bump
Bump
Original post by Ariel2611
Hello,
Long story short I've missed ALL of Othello and was wondering what the best way was to revise it at A level?

It is a closed book exam so now I'm worrying...

I had gone over the first part of it in class but not anything after the first few scenes which I have kind of forgotten now...

But, today I have gone through Act 1 scene 1 and know most of the key quotes and themes by memory which I will go over regularly! I did this in approx under 2 hours which is kind of long but I know I could have done it in 1 hour but was teaching my sister's which helped me!

Should I have done more today?
Is doing only act 1 scene 1 too little to do???

Any tips on how I should revise?
Where to begin revising from?

I really don't understand WHERE to start nor how to memorise certain things that are needed in the essays.
HOW do I memorise things such as ephitets and other key things and add it in when I have not been taught it nor will be...

Any sample answers?
Any tips on WHAT types of things I need to revise...?
I am both a visual learner and auditory.

I really want to get the best possible grades in my mocks so need all the advice possible!

Thanks

first of all read through all of it again whilst making notes on the side or writing on sticky notes language analysis annd contextual info for each scene. if you go through a scene a day then in two weeks you can complete notes. also write down key quotes like maximum 10, minimum 5 from each scene (this can vary) on revision cards. most importantly do exam practise after you've done notes.

okay whislt reading it use sites like cliffnotes, sparknotes to analyse each scene and have a translation guide too.

to memorise i suggest reading it multiple times and then try to say it or write it without looking in the book.
I was thinking should I even 'read' each act/scene? Can't I just read the summaries and look for quotes for characters, themes, language etc online?
What do you think?
Thanks

i would suggest reading all of it
ca be done within a week or two
ADVICE PLEASE....

Do I write down key quotes on each character for Each key scene or just the overall act?

So far I've got:
- key quotes for Each character: Each act/scene???

- key quotes for Each character for themes: race, jealousy, gender, prejudice, appearance vs reality, manhood & honour, womanhood & sexuality, love, sex, marriage, manipulation, hate, warfare, identity.... any more???

- key quotes for Each character: language

What other key quotes do I need?

I'm also going to be creating mind maps on each individual

character(s):
- progression throughout play
- character profiles
- relationships to other characters
- language used (Iago- racist.... etc)

Language: each character etc... what else?

Structure .... (what could I talk about???)

Themes (All mentioned above- will make seperate mind maps on all above themes....?)

AO1-5

Also:
When I create the nindmaps for the themes or the key quotes do I do them according to EACH act or EACH scene????

Anything else to create mind maps about or to include in mindmaps?
Should I make notes?
Or just nindmaps?

Tips?
Anything else?

Thanks

you have enough key quotes, now just memorise them

i think you just need to do exam practise now
look at all the questions there are and you could make some up too so and make an essay plan, really detailed and elaborate so that its a part of your revision in itself.
Reply 11
I found that watching a good film version of it (one that doesn’t deviate from the script or cut lots out) helps you get a grasp of the overall narrative and the changing moods of different scenes and characters, which you can sometimes miss when you’re just reading it as a text.
It’s also a pretty chilled and ‘fun’ way of revising that you can do when you’re tired of writing and reading :-)
Original post by justanotherchica
first of all read through all of it again whilst making notes on the side or writing on sticky notes language analysis annd contextual info for each scene. if you go through a scene a day then in two weeks you can complete notes. also write down key quotes like maximum 10, minimum 5 from each scene (this can vary) on revision cards. most importantly do exam practise after you've done notes.

okay whislt reading it use sites like cliffnotes, sparknotes to analyse each scene and have a translation guide too.

to memorise i suggest reading it multiple times and then try to say it or write it without looking in the book.

Thank you very much!
You say to read it scene by scene....
I was told to complete an act a day!
How do I know which information is important? ("language analysis and contextual info")
How am I supposed to know what information is important?
I haven't been taught it or anything!
you have enough key quotes, now just memorise them

i think you just need to do exam practise now
look at all the questions there are and you could make some up too so and make an essay plan, really detailed and elaborate so that its a part of your revision in itself.

Your confused
All of the above are key quotes I still NEED to find and memorise
I haven't found or got ANY key quotes!
:-(
Original post by zjscott
I found that watching a good film version of it (one that doesn’t deviate from the script or cut lots out) helps you get a grasp of the overall narrative and the changing moods of different scenes and characters, which you can sometimes miss when you’re just reading it as a text.
It’s also a pretty chilled and ‘fun’ way of revising that you can do when you’re tired of writing and reading :-)

Thank you :-)
What films do you suggest for Othello?
Thanks
i would suggest reading all of it
ca be done within a week or two

Scene by scene?
I have missed so much for ALL of my other subjects too so won't be able to read all of it within a week :-(
Scene by scene?
I have missed so much for ALL of my other subjects too so won't be able to read all of it within a week :-(

so a scene a day would take you like 2 weeks. thats not too bad.
Thank you :-)
What films do you suggest for Othello?
Thanks

the national theatre adaptation of it
there's many, one with black iago in it. try to find the ones with all blakc cast etc. or liek a black iago because it will provide alternative interpretations.
Your confused
All of the above are key quotes I still NEED to find and memorise
I haven't found or got ANY key quotes!
:-(

i would suggest finding quotes per themes because for example the theme of appearance vs reality, you can find quotes mainly for iago because the theme generally regards him but you can also find quotes about it from othello and desdemona. generally themes are overarching so its better then finding it according to character. also make sure you know which act and scene the quotes are found in and who said it.
good luck :smile:
i would suggest finding quotes per themes because for example the theme of appearance vs reality, you can find quotes mainly for iago because the theme generally regards him but you can also find quotes about it from othello and desdemona. generally themes are overarching so its better then finding it according to character. also make sure you know which act and scene the quotes are found in and who said it.
good luck :smile:

Thank you very much!
That's what I was thinking!
It's much better to find quotes according to themes because then you are doing two things at once in a way
I was thinking of creating Act wallets

Where in each poly pocket I put all the information below for EACH act:
- summary
- translation with original text
- text with analysis
- mindmaps for Each character/theme for that act
Regarding the last point..do you think it would be a good idea to create mindmaps on EACH act for: each character and each theme... so a mind map on each theme displayed in Act 1 scene 1, same for Act 1 scene 2 etc....
I don't really know HOW to identify the themes though! :-(
HOW Do I know what theme is being shown by the character in Act 1 scene 1?
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending