The Student Room Group

cambridge place is confirmed, should I quit my job?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cambridgedream

My plan is to quit my job and just focus on my health for the next 5 months before university

I'd absolutely say to do just that, you should definitely be able to live comfortably on your loan and cam bursary (I'm also going to be eligible for the maximum of each and am confident it'll be more than enough for me without even having any savings from a job).

Congratulations on the offer, which course is it for if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Amanzhol
I'd absolutely say to do just that, you should definitely be able to live comfortably on your loan and cam bursary (I'm also going to be eligible for the maximum of each and am confident it'll be more than enough for me without even having any savings from a job).

Congratulations on the offer, which course is it for if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks so much! also I'll be studying geography. Congrats on your offer, which course? :biggrin:
Thanks so much! also I'll be studying geography. Congrats on your offer, which course? :biggrin:

Thank you too! My offer's for architecture (need to get the grades though).
I guess I'm just worried about quitting a job and the implications that might have on my CV if I have large periods of unemployment etc

I'm sorry, but you're going to have a Cambridge degree, and you think a potential employer will care in the slightest about you quitting a dead-end admin job in your year off???????

In 20 years time I think it's inconceivable that you'll look back and say "The one thing I really regret about my life is giving up that gap year job".
Original post by Another Old Git
I'm sorry, but you're going to have a Cambridge degree, and you think a potential employer will care in the slightest about you quitting a dead-end admin job in your year off???????

In 20 years time I think it's inconceivable that you'll look back and say "The one thing I really regret about my life is giving up that gap year job".

I guess when you put it like that I do agree, I guess just because you constantly hear about degrees not being worth as much anymore I just worry. In all likelihood I guess it will be insignificant in a few years time aha
Reply 25
I guess when you put it like that I do agree, I guess just because you constantly hear about degrees not being worth as much anymore I just worry. In all likelihood I guess it will be insignificant in a few years time aha

Work experience is always a good thing to have on a CV, but frankly an employer will not be in the slightest concerned by an "incomplete" employment record during someone's gap year.

If you need the money or enjoy the work then keep at it, if not don't. :smile:
Yeah I would quit the job now and focus on health so you are in best condition to start studying at uni. One of the attractive things about cambridge is that you receive plenty of support so no matter your background, you aren't forced to work while you are at uni.
Original post by Amanzhol

Yeah I still kinda want a job over 3 month summer because it would be nice to have a bit of spending money over summer. But it is nice to know that there's no pressure to save up.
thanks so much for the reply, yeah that's true that it will be plenty of money. I guess I'm just worried about quitting a job and the implications that might have on my CV if I have large periods of unemployment etc

Duuude, you're going to Cambridge. What implications on your CV!? You'll be fine! :biggrin: Chill out, make some more dough in a month and then quit and get back to being healthy. Then work hard and play hard in uni and life will be waiting for you on a plate.
I have an unconditional offer for cambridge starting october, so in the mean time i have an entry level job doing admin, I make about 1500 a month before tax.

However, the only reason i have the job is to save for university, but I'm entitled to the maximum loan and cambridge bursary, so i struggle to see the point at the moment.

I'm in a similar situation. I start a course in Newcastle in September and just have a lifeguarding job to put money away until then. If all the money is confirmed, I'd just quit. Your health matters so much more than working too much for money you don't need!

As others have suggested you could cut your hours if you're afraid of just being bored. You can easily quit so it's not like your employer has any leverage to get you to stick to your full time hours. If they don't let you do that, I'd hand in my notice.
What course if I may ask
Your job isn't the reason you are overweight. I've worked 18 hour days on ship before and still made time to keep fit. Why do overweight people always look for excuses?
Original post by Olivia B. W
You could hustle and make 1000 in a week.

bit hypocritical isn't it?
I have an unconditional offer for cambridge starting october, so in the mean time i have an entry level job doing admin, I make about 1500 a month before tax.

However, the only reason i have the job is to save for university, but I'm entitled to the maximum loan and cambridge bursary, so i struggle to see the point at the moment. The work is depressing and extremely stressful considering it is entry level.
My plan is to quit my job and just focus on my health for the next 5 months before university, as I am currently around 3 stone overweight. idk I feel very conflicted but overall the work is stressing me out constantly.
Should I just quit the job considering my university place is already guaranteed, then I could focus on my health, or would it be a mistake to give up the job considering it is okay pay for a 19 year old.
any advice would be appreciated

Well you already have a uni place which is the most important thing and your living expenses should be covered by the bursaries and student loan. Honestly I think that saving money is important but your health, mental and physical, is the most important thing. Change your job to something else, make it part time or shift work (e.g. maybe only work mornings) unless you don't mind something full time but really it shouldn't be an issue, maybe even quit working until uni. Do something with the rest of the day, save up enough for a small trip abroad the last 2 months before uni (look up Jack's Flight Club its legit the best thing for getting cheap travel) and buy a gym membership or start a sport, lose weight, try things and enjoy the rest of your gap year as much as you can. You could start reading into your course and get a good grounding before it all starts which you probably won't need to but you should get my point.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by charlie00000
Your job isn't the reason you are overweight. I've worked 18 hour days on ship before and still made time to keep fit. Why do overweight people always look for excuses?

Oh wow how inspirational. Doesn't help in any way or say anything of any worth but wow yeah great that you did that. Here's a medal https://gme.medicine.uiowa.edu/sites/gme.medicine.uiowa.edu/files/wysiwyg_uploads/medal.jpg

Well I gotta get back to working 30 hours a day on an industrial rig all while being the worlds strongest human

However, the only reason i have the job is to save for university, but I'm entitled to the maximum loan and cambridge bursary, so i struggle to see the point at the moment. The work is depressing and extremely stressful considering it is entry level.
My plan is to quit my job and just focus on my health for the next 5 months before university, as I am currently around 3 stone overweight. idk I feel very conflicted but overall the work is stressing me out constantly.
Should I just quit the job considering my university place is already guaranteed, then I could focus on my health, or would it be a mistake to give up the job considering it is okay pay for a 19 year old.
any advice would be appreciated

Hmm... only advice i can offer is, You come first. If you feel your health is at risk due to your job quit. However i'd say try and work a healthy lifestyle around your working hours, if anything it'll help in preparation for the mammoth workload you'll meet in cambridge(so i'm told by everyone i dont go to cambridge....at least not yet)

This is a bit of tangent here, but i'm literally hoping to be in your position next year, i also plan on taking a gap year and reapplying for cambridge with the ideal grades. How have you found the past year?
You could hustle and make 1000 in a week.

lol and how much u making?
Original post by CraigBackner
lol and how much u making?

Gonna be safe and say zero.
Don't know if you're from hm revenue + tax
If you hate the job, quit.

If you don’t absolutely need the money, it’s never worth wasting 5 months doimg something you don’t like.

In the grand scheme of things, 1500pm is peanuts compared to what you’ll make after graduating so there are better ways to spend your time.
Gonna be safe and say zero.
Don't know if you're from hm revenue + tax

lmao
must be doing something illegal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending