The Student Room Group

Why are 21 year olds classed as mature students?

I was just thinking how weird it is that 21 year olds are classed as mature students at university, only because when I think of someone that age I think ‘young adult’.
I usually think of someone perhaps nearer to their 30s when I think of ‘mature student’. I dunno, 21 still seems really young to me 🧐 Or is a 21 year old labelled as a ‘mature student’ because they have been out of education for a few years?
I think it's because we want to party less and are likely to have more independence e.g. able to cook
Original post by hellogiggles
I was just thinking how weird it is that 21 year olds are classed as mature students at university, only because when I think of someone that age I think ‘young adult’.
I usually think of someone perhaps nearer to their 30s when I think of ‘mature student’. I dunno, 21 still seems really young to me 🧐 Or is a 21 year old labelled as a ‘mature student’ because they have been out of education for a few years?

A mature student is those people that have left education but did not pursue higher education instantly. It is a respectful term to which people refer to those student that are classified as mature.
HEFCE (Higher Education Funding Council), UCAS and various other stats gathering folk use 21+ as 'mature' as opposed to school-leavers/those on gap years etc. There has to be a universal definition and thats what it is.
It's because if you had gone through university at the earliest point (starting at 18 straight after a-levels) you would graduate at 21.
I'm nat-ture.
What @LeaX said. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending