The Student Room Group

Recommendations on a strong deodorant?

I'm trying to move away from anti-perspirants because they keep discolouring my white shirts due to the aluminium in them. I've spent a day using old spice classic deodorant at the recommendation of someone with a similar issue, however I've noticed that I can still smell sweat every couple of hours. I know that this is meant to get better over time as it is a cleansing process where my body is trying to sweat a lot because it couldn't sweat a lot before. However - the only way I've moved all day is to have a walk up to the shops and I smell. Anyone got any suggestions on another deodorant that's quite good at stopping me from being too smelly? I'm female so would prefer to not go too masculine - I like fruity scents most.
Reply 1
Original post by Styxal
I'm trying to move away from anti-perspirants because they keep discolouring my white shirts due to the aluminium in them. I've spent a day using old spice classic deodorant at the recommendation of someone with a similar issue, however I've noticed that I can still smell sweat every couple of hours. I know that this is meant to get better over time as it is a cleansing process where my body is trying to sweat a lot because it couldn't sweat a lot before. However - the only way I've moved all day is to have a walk up to the shops and I smell. Anyone got any suggestions on another deodorant that's quite good at stopping me from being too smelly? I'm female so would prefer to not go too masculine - I like fruity scents most.

Pop into a pharmacy and ask for strong antiperspirant. You put it on every so often and it works for ages (like weeks). No nasty residue cos you put it on at night then rinse it off in the morning.

That or get some random perfume/ body spray. Just walk around a shop sniffing different ones until you smell one you like. Non-cheap as chips perfumes will probably be better for longer lasting and more covering scent, but with cheaper stuff you can probably afford to try a couple out and see how well they last. Maybe check out places like debenhams, body shop, lush, superdrug etc.

Or do both and get the ap and smelly stuff.
Original post by Kindred
Pop into a pharmacy and ask for strong antiperspirant. You put it on every so often and it works for ages (like weeks). No nasty residue cos you put it on at night then rinse it off in the morning.

That or get some random perfume/ body spray. Just walk around a shop sniffing different ones until you smell one you like. Non-cheap as chips perfumes will probably be better for longer lasting and more covering scent, but with cheaper stuff you can probably afford to try a couple out and see how well they last. Maybe check out places like debenhams, body shop, lush, superdrug etc.

From personal experience, the staining from the strong antiperspirants is actually worse than the normal ones. The stains they leave tend to be a greyish kind of colour, and they permanently discolour even black and dark materials, which normal antiperspirants don't seem to.

They do help to an extent, but I still sweat more than the average person when using them, and still have to use a deodorant spray to cover up the smell of sweat. And they definitely don't last for weeks - 4-5 days max for me. A lot of people also get irritation when using them.

With regards to deodorants, the only one I've found that fully covers up the smell of sweat is the Weleda Citrus Deodorant. There are few scents in the range, but I have only tried this one so far and it seemed to work really well. I don't find I sweat any more when using the deodorant compared to the normal strength antiperspirant. It does cost quite a lot though, which is the downside.

Another deodorant I found OK was the Dr Organix coconut oil one, but I seem to sweat more with this one than with the Weleda one. I have tried a couple of other Dr Organix ones and I found that they don't mask the smell of sweat very well.
Also, just to add - I don't think the stains are caused by aluminium salts, I think they are caused by the sweat itself.
Reply 4
Original post by Kindred

The issue is that anti-perspirant is reacting badly with my sweat due to the ingredient that causes you to stop sweating (which didn't work too well for me anyway). Which meant I had to throw out about 1/3-1/2 of my tops out last weekend and have had to do similar previously. So I'd prefer to avoid anti-perspirants if possible. I might see if the chemists have any strong deodorants or something though.

Quick Reply

Latest