The Student Room Group

OCR A-Level Economics H460 5th, 12th, 15th June 2018 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mrz4073
Can you name few policies to increase labour flexibility?

Although I'm not the person you quoted, I have a couple of ideas:
1. Decrease trade union power (increase contractual flexibility)
2. Introduction of zero hours contracts (UK has these, but they're illegal in other EU countries).
3. Increase in education & training => increased geo & occupational flexibility
4. Free movement of labour (joining EU for example)
5. House prices (e.g. Help to Buy, Equity Loan etc)
6. Info Provision

Hope this helps :smile: x
Original post by mrz4073
Can you name few policies to increase labour flexibility?

- Subsidation of relocation of workers - geographical mobility.
- public spending on education/ training and apprenticeships for school leavers and employees. -occupational mobility
- access to job vacancy information
Reply 42
Original post by MajorFader
Honestly, it would be so juicy for a 25 marker on oligopolistic markets to come up? Love Labour market so hopefully econplusdal’s prediction is right...

How are you feeling?

Yes Econplusdal the man haha, he also suggests contestable markets and thats a bit of a dodgy one I guess from all market structure they can be. we won't have railways cuz that was on last year. Labour Markets is the biggest chapter so yippy. a lot of content

Im feeling a little sorta ready but a little sorta how do I answer question sorta thing. How are you guys feeling.
Original post by abc_123_
Although I'm not the person you quoted, I have a couple of ideas:
1. Decrease trade union power (increase contractual flexibility)
2. Introduction of zero hours contracts (UK has these, but they're illegal in other EU countries).
3. Increase in education & training => increased geo & occupational flexibility
4. Free movement of labour (joining EU for example)
5. House prices (e.g. Help to Buy, Equity Loan etc)
6. Info Provision

Hope this helps :smile: x

Thankss. U see with the zero hour contract, what does it mean and how could u evaluate it?
Honestly, it would be so juicy for a 25 marker on oligopolistic markets to come up? Love Labour market so hopefully econplusdal’s prediction is right...

How are you feeling?

What are the evaluative points u can make for oligopoly?
Original post by mrz4073
Thankss. U see with the zero hour contract, what does it mean and how could u evaluate it?

A zero hours contract means that an employer has no legal obligation to give you a certain number of hours for a week: he could decide to give you no hours if business is slow, or ask you to come in for 10+ hours when business is good: this is often the case with jobs in retail (cafés, restaurants etc).

0 Hours Contacts are good for the employer, because it means he only needs to pay for the amount of work he needs (i.e. he doesn't have an obligation to pay someone to stand around doing not a lot).

However, it can be bad for the workers for a number of reasons:
1. Often they're not protected by trade unions
2. They have employment and income insecurity
3. Can be underemployed

Does anyone know about the impact of changes in pensions on the labour market or have any good current info about pensions / how the gov are trying to change pensions? x
(edited 5 years ago)
A zero hours contract means that an employer has no legal obligation to give you a certain number of hours for a week: he could decide to give you no hours if business is slow, or ask you to come in for 10+ hours when business is good: this is often the case with jobs in retail (cafés, restaurants etc).

0 Hours Contacts are good for the employer, because it means he only needs to pay for the amount of work he needs (i.e. he doesn't have an obligation to pay someone to stand around doing not a lot).

However, it can be bad for the workers for a number of reasons:
1. Often they're not protected by trade unions
2. They have employment and income insecurity
3. Can be underemployed

Sweeet
Original post by mrz4073
What are the evaluative points u can make for oligopoly?

Against points:

-If firms collude, there is a loss of consumer welfare because prices are raised but output is reduced.

- collusion leads to monopoly power- makes it harder for firms to enter the market. Lack of competition means firms have no incentive to lower average costs so x ineffciency.

If it is not enough tell me.
Against points:

-If firms collude, there is a loss of consumer welfare because prices are raised but output is reduced.

- collusion leads to monopoly power- makes it harder for firms to enter the market. Lack of competition means firms have no incentive to lower average costs so x ineffciency.

If it is not enough tell me.

A* candidate.
Original post by mrz4073
A* candidate.

I wish lol

How are you feeling?

What was econplusdal’s prediction?
Original post by 123good2bme
What was econplusdal’s prediction?

Market failure is likely to come up in a longer answer question.
Can anyone help me with the following questions:
1. Evaluate alternative maximisation objectives for businesses to profit maximisation, including sales revenue maximisation, sales volume maximisation, growth maximisation and utility maximisation.
2. Evaluate non-maximising objectives for businesses, such as profit satisficing, social welfare, CSR.
3. Evaluate the assumptions underlying profit maximisation as a business objective.
4. Evaluate, with the aid of a diagram, the usefulness of perfect competition theory.
5. Evaluate the impact of demographic changes on the labour market
6. Evaluate the impact of the introduction and changes in pensions on the labour market

sorry for the long list, seriously stressing about tomorrow :blush: x
Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile: x
1. Evaluate alternative maximisation objectives for businesses to profit maximisation, including sales revenue maximisation, sales volume maximisation, growth maximisation and utility maximisation.
2. Evaluate non-maximising objectives for businesses, such as profit satisficing, social welfare, CSR.
3. Evaluate the assumptions underlying profit maximisation as a business objective.
4. Evaluate, with the aid of a diagram, the usefulness of perfect competition theory.
6. Evaluate the impact of the introduction and changes in pensions on the labour market

1. Rev max MR=0 could be to set a predatory price to drive out competition. Sales max AR=AC to limit price and also to flood the market with products to get brand loyalty. Growth max is similar. Utility max when consumers consume what best satisfies them? Not sure. Divorce between control and ownership means Managers might pursue these objectives in order to claim higher salaries.
2. CSR means being more environmentally friendly, giving in work benefits, ensuring a minimum price for raw material suppliers etc. Profit satisficing means making enough profit to keep shareholders satisfied. Again could be pursued by managers.
3. Firms may not always choose to profit maximise and aim for other objectives like sales max to get their brand known and then raise price. Also firms may not know the point where MC=MR
4. Perfect comp won’t come up.

Hope that helps
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 54

1. Sales Revenue Max when a firm produces at MR=0 to increase sales but reduce profit, this can increase market share.
Sales Volume maximisation occurs when AR=AC… so low prices and high output, a firm may do this to increase market share or to increase barriers to entry. However the Competition commission may investigate these firms to prevent this.
Growth max increase size of firm as much as possible e.g. taking on more workers. Once a firm reaches a certain size, barriers to entry can increase.

2. Profit satisficing to get enough profits to satisfy dividends paid to shareholders. An oligopoly may do this as increasing price to increase profits may cause a loss of market share (they act interdependently)
( the other 2 idk)

Its too stressful this haha
Original post by mrz4073

4. Perfect comp won’t come up.

Hope that helps

Thank you :smile:
Why do you think perfect competition won't come up? x
Reply 56

I know you didn't ask me but, it came on last year as a 25 marker option so its less likely

Cos on last year’s paper they asked a 25 marker on perfect comp. this year I’m betting on oligopoly/monopolistic
Reply 58
Original post by mrz4073
Cos on last year’s paper they asked a 25 marker on perfect comp. this year I’m betting on oligopoly/monopolistic

what do you think on contestable markets?
Original post by Myp001
what do you think on contestable markets?

Hmmmm it could uno but I think it’s more likely they’ll probably ask a 12 or an 8 marker saying “Evaluate the extent to which the market is contestable” rather than a 25 marker

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending