The Student Room Group

I think i flopped my a levels - need urgent advice

Hi guys,

As the title says, I think I did bad in my A levels. I’m doing maths, psychology and english literature, where I have an A in EPQ and an A in my english coursework. So everything was going well until my Grandad (who was very close to me) passed away in late April. This had an immense impact on my revision since I couldn’t concentrate for 3-4 weeks and I had to look after my mother as well who suffers from depression. Due to these circumstances, I started revision late... I just found out that you have to apply for extenuating circumstances for university before the deadline which has now gone and I don’t know what to do. It’s been over a week I’ve been under constant stress, where I don’t feel like eating or drinking anything, heart and chest hurts as well as constant headaches. I’m also unable to expel the negative thoughts. Ive got 4 more exams left which I’m revising for now, 2 next week and 2 the week after but I’m afraid the end result will be poor. Already had 4 this week where I had a 15 mins mind blank in my psych exam due to stress.

Though the deadline for extenuating circumstances has gone, is it best to still contact the universities (University of Southampton and Royal Holloway) to let them know of my situation? I’m considering taking a foundation year or resisting psychology and english as an external candidate and then going to university next year.

So I could do with some advice guys!

Thanks and I hope you all have successful futures :smile:
Reply 1
I'm not sure how A levels work. When do you get your results? Are you able to resit this year if you get a low grade?
Ask your school to send letters to the exam board explaining your situation and call up the universities and say that it happened recently hence why you missed the deadline
Always worth trying. Get your school to contact the exam board about the situation for extenuating circumstances(things happen to people in the middle of exams so I doubt that deadline has gone).
Also contact the unis explaining the situation
Original post by s817
I'm not sure how A levels work. When do you get your results? Are you able to resit this year if you get a low grade?

I can’t resit the year but I can apply as an external candidate. If I was to apply externally then I would get As
Original post by GalGirl101
Ask your school to send letters to the exam board explaining your situation and call up the universities and say that it happened recently hence why you missed the deadline

Thank you. I will discuss this with my head of year
Original post by AzureCeleste
Always worth trying. Get your school to contact the exam board about the situation for extenuating circumstances(things happen to people in the middle of exams so I doubt that deadline has gone).
Also contact the unis explaining the situation

Thank you so much. I will contact them on Monday morning.
Reply 7
Original post by ks234r
I can’t resit the year but I can apply as an external candidate. If I was to apply externally then I would get As

I meant can you resit the exams not the entire year but it's best to talk to your tutors who can better advice you on what to do.
Original post by ks234r
Hi guys,

As the title says, I think I did bad in my A levels. I’m doing maths, psychology and english literature, where I have an A in EPQ and an A in my english coursework. So everything was going well until my Grandad (who was very close to me) passed away in late April. This had an immense impact on my revision since I couldn’t concentrate for 3-4 weeks and I had to look after my mother as well who suffers from depression. Due to these circumstances, I started revision late... I just found out that you have to apply for extenuating circumstances for university before the deadline which has now gone and I don’t know what to do. It’s been over a week I’ve been under constant stress, where I don’t feel like eating or drinking anything, heart and chest hurts as well as constant headaches. I’m also unable to expel the negative thoughts. Ive got 4 more exams left which I’m revising for now, 2 next week and 2 the week after but I’m afraid the end result will be poor. Already had 4 this week where I had a 15 mins mind blank in my psych exam due to stress.

Though the deadline for extenuating circumstances has gone, is it best to still contact the universities (University of Southampton and Royal Holloway) to let them know of my situation? I’m considering taking a foundation year or resisting psychology and english as an external candidate and then going to university next year.

You could do an apprenticeship in your field of interest
Original post by s817
I meant can you resit the exams not the entire year but it's best to talk to your tutors who can better advice you on what to do.

Yeah imma make sure i do that.
Reply 10
You have up until your last exam to submit exceptional circumstances request.. I have spoken to my sons exams officer as my son was ill the week before his exams started .. I have requested a doctors note which I have until 19th June to submit to the school.. so you haven’t missed the deadline if you still have exams to take...
Original post by ks234r
Hi guys,

Hi ks234r,

I'm sorry to hear that you are going through a hard time.

As some have already recommended, you should speak with your school to get in touch with the exam board to explain your situation.

Once you've done this, I would recommend sending an email to your universities to make them aware that you have been in touch with the exam board. You can email our Admissions team at [email protected].

Though we are unable to make any guarantees at this time, depending on how many places are still available and how close to meeting the conditions of the offer you are, your academic results may still be accepted.

I hope this helps, but if you have any questions please feel free to get in touch here or send me a PM.

Susana :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest