The Student Room Group

is 5'4 and 47kg skinny?

I've been searching around trying to figure out if this is considered skinny or not. According to most health charts I've seen it is but people's personal opinions seem to vary. I'm at this height and weight right now and i think i'm relatively thin but could still lose more weight. I wear a size 6-8, usually a size 8 in jeans since my hips are pretty wide. I'm 16 and female.

Scroll to see replies

It is just under ideal weight BMI wise.
The ideal weight for a female of your height is 49-60Kg. However this does not take into account your age. In my opinion, no you are perfect weight.
I hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by amygdala.
It is just under ideal weight BMI wise.
The ideal weight for a female of your height is 49-60Kg. However this does not take into account your age. In my opinion, no you are perfect weight.
I hope this helps

ok thank you :smile:
I don't think so, I'm 16 5'8 and 47kg and wear a uk 4 on the top and 8 on the bottom, we're all built differently I guess
Slim but not too skinny, plus you're only 16 so I'd say just right
I would say relatively skinny, I'm just 5"0 but weigh around 43kg the last time I checked. I'm average weight though.
I'd recommend putting on maybe a couple kgs, because you're underweight. And the fact you've mentioned you could "lose more weight" is a bit worrying, though maybe I'm hyper-analysing. At your age, try not to worry about weight and appearances though! Take it from me, it's not something worth obsessing or worrying over. :smile:
i think its average or towards lower size. it depends on where your body holds the weight, not the weight itself
Reply 8
I'm 5'8 and 48kg and I consider myself borderline too skinny! Don't lose anymore weight, your bones will start to show and that's not healthy!

You'd rather have a healthy slim body than an unhealthy skinny boney one. I'd care more about my health than my appearance, it leads to a happy life. Be confident in the body you're in now and love it ! ❤️👌🏼

Why do you want to anyhow?
Omw! I’m 4’11 and 69kgs and a 14/16 so don’t worry. Eat a cheeseburger and try not to worry. We are all different, fat thin average. Don’t worry about labels my love, the big wide world has things that need your attention much more than a few lbs here and there. X
The NHS BMI calculator takes into consideration your age: https://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx
Original post by Beccamason123
Omw! I’m 4’11 and 69kgs and a 14/16 so don’t worry. Eat a cheeseburger.

I don't understand the relevance of your technical obesity and likely artery related early death to the OP's question to be honest.

Her BMI falls within the healthy range, that doesn't mean she should start stuffing her face with junk food.... sounds like she's doing things perfectly already.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by cheerykimmy
I've been searching around trying to figure out if this is considered skinny or not. According to most health charts I've seen it is but people's personal opinions seem to vary. I'm at this height and weight right now and i think i'm relatively thin but could still lose more weight. I wear a size 6-8, usually a size 8 in jeans since my hips are pretty wide. I'm 16 and female.

Actually you are considered 'healthy weight' according to the NHS calculator, which takes into consideration your gender and age. Only just within that range though, and you definitely don't need to lose any more weight. I've just filled it in for you.

Seems like you are doing things just fine as you are, no need to adapt your diet or lifestyle.

May want to do it with your exact date of birth (using the link I posted above).

Capture.PNG
I had to work out KG to stone. Why did you post such a strange combination of Imperial and Metric?

Anyway, yes you sound thin. You shouldn't try to lose any more weight, just eat healthy and keep active is all. Don't rely on health charts or the opinions of people around you. If you're eating right and living a healthy lifestyle, your body will settle on the right weight for you.
Original post by BritishJew
Actually you are considered 'healthy weight' according to the NHS calculator, which takes into consideration your gender and age. Only just within that range though, and you definitely don't need to lose any more weight. I've just filled it in for you.

Seems like you are doing things just fine as you are, no need to adapt your diet or lifestyle.

May want to do it with your exact date of birth (using the link I posted above).

Capture.PNG

I did it with my date of birth and I'm in the 8th percentile, still healthy :smile: thank you!
Original post by crumps
I'm 5'8 and 48kg and I consider myself borderline too skinny! Don't lose anymore weight, your bones will start to show and that's not healthy!

You'd rather have a healthy slim body than an unhealthy skinny boney one. I'd care more about my health than my appearance, it leads to a happy life. Be confident in the body you're in now and love it ! ❤️👌🏼

Why do you want to anyhow?

I feel like I would look better if I was closer to 44kg tbh but thank you anyway :smile:
Reply 16
I feel like I would look better if I was closer to 44kg tbh but thank you anyway :smile:

Body confidence doesn't come from having the 'perfect' body though, it's about being confident in the one your in right now. You would look better in your opinion, but others may not see it that way. Just make sure your putting your health first :smile: !
Original post by crumps
Body confidence doesn't come from having the 'perfect' body though, it's about being confident in the one your in right now. You would look better in your opinion, but others may not see it that way. Just make sure your putting your health first :smile: !

Why are you assuming that the op was body conscious or concerned with aesthetics?

She mentions 'health charts' in her original post, and was happy to discover that her BMI is in the healthy range.

And people who are overweight should not just settle for being happy in their body, they should lose some bloody weight before they develop diabetes or a heart murmer or anything else which is likely to cost the taxpayer a lot of money and shorten their lives. Fed up with seeing people tell the morbidly obese to be happy with their body, its like telling a chain smoker to be happy being a smoker.

Either your BMI is in healthy range or it isn't. Celebrate those who are healthy, but encouraging unhealthy people to be "body confident" is just ludicrous.

Strange logic that comes from extreme third wave feminists, people who are unhappy in their own bodies so want as many other girls as possible to be as fat and lazy as them. That what it really means to tell somebody who is killing themselves with greasy junk food to just 'accept' their bodies.
(edited 5 years ago)
You're fine, trust me. I gained so i'm now around 55kg I think and I'm 5'4, turning 17 in July. So I think you're fine :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by BritishJew
Why are you assuming that the op was body conscious or concerned with aesthetics?

She mentions 'health charts' in her original post, and was happy to discover that her BMI is in the healthy range.

And people who are overweight should not just settle for being happy in their body, they should lose some bloody weight before they develop diabetes or a heart murmer or anything else which is likely to cost the taxpayer a lot of money and shorten their lives. Fed up with seeing people tell the morbidly obese to be happy with their body, its like telling a chain smoker to be happy being a smoker.

Either your BMI is in healthy range or it isn't. Celebrate those who are healthy, but encouraging unhealthy people to be "body confident" is just ludicrous.

Strange logic that comes from extreme third wave feminists, people who are unhappy in their own bodies so want as many other girls as possible to be as fat and lazy as them. That what it really means to tell somebody who is killing themselves with greasy junk food to just 'accept' their bodies.

"Why are you assuming that the op was body conscious or concerned with aesthetics?"

If she wasn't body conscious she wouldn't want to change her weight as she has claimed herself she is a healthy BMI, which would be considered a body weight most likely to make you feel confident in. I know she's concerned with aesthetics because she said "I feel like I would look better if I was closer to 44kg".

"her BMI is in the healthy range"

BMI is not completely accurate and also I was once a similar weight (43kg) and height (5"7) and my doctor told me I was dangerously underweight. If she goes any lower, she will be considered an unhealthy BMI. Being anorexic is more dangerous for someone than being overweight.

"And people who are overweight should not just settle for being happy in their body, they should lose some bloody weight before they develop diabetes or a heart murmer or anything else which is likely to cost the taxpayer a lot of money and shorten their lives. Fed up with seeing people tell the morbidly obese to be happy with their body, its like telling a chain smoker to be happy being a smoker."

1. She's not overweight though as you clearly stated yourself, she's under or just average. If she loses anymore, that would be considered unhealthy.
2. People who are overweight can still be happy with their body WHILE recognising that they need to lose weight to be healthy. For example, if you are a drug addict, you can still be happy with the state your in WHILE recognising that they need to stop the addiction. Being happy with the way it is now is one step forward to positive change because when you start loving yourself, you can start healing yourself. :smile:
3. I didn't tell the 'morbidly obese' to be happy with their body, I told someone who is average/under in weight.
4. Smoking and eating aren't completely comparable because you need to eat in order to stay alive. However, you are comparing the two based on the fact that they can become addictions. If she is healthy BMI, that tells me she is not addicted to eating, therefore she should definitely be happy with how she eats now, would you not agree?

"Either your BMI is in healthy range or it isn't. Celebrate those who are healthy, but encouraging unhealthy people to be "body confident" is just ludicrous."

Isn't that exactly what I just did? She just said she was healthy BMI lol and I'm telling her she should celebrate it. She's healthy and and I'm telling her to be body confidence with that - I don't get you, lol? You're "ludicrous". :excited:

"Strange logic that comes from extreme third wave feminists, people who are unhappy in their own bodies so want as many other girls as possible to be as fat and lazy as them."

Wow, I didn't know telling someone with healthy BMI to be body confidence is classed as "extreme third wave feminism" :flute:.
It's quite ignorant to describe all so-called '3rd wave feminists' to be fat, lazy and not confident in their own bodies. And you think I am all these things? Wow lol. You don't even know me. If I was was any lower in weight I would be clinically classed as 'anorexic'. I'm a feminist, '3rd wave feminists' aren't truly aligning with the aim of feminists so therefore they are not feminists.

"That what it really means to tell somebody who is killing themselves with greasy junk food to just 'accept' their bodies."

Body confidence and body acceptance are too different things. I don't advise body acceptance for anyone who isn't healthy BMI, but she is healthy BMI so she should anyways. It's the same as the drug addict thing, drug addicts shouldn't accept that they'll always be a drug addict but be confident in the state their in now which gives them motivation to quit. All addicts should be finding a way to help themselves.

Conclusion: you're a salty ass mofo who just need some luv boi <3 :lovehug: How about we just have a friendly discussion instead of using vile words with one another. How would that ever convince me of your point, honestly? You're just mindlessly waffling what on your mind as a expression of frustration as well as displacing all the anger you've felt from other situations onto me, I can clearly see that. I'm just sad you've had such bad experience in life that you've come this salty mofo, it saddens me. But real talk, no hard feelings.
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest