The Student Room Group

Work Experience at Pets at Home?

Hi, I've just applied for my year 10 work experience at pets at home, does anyone have any experience of this? what will I be made to do and what will i have to wear etc.. thanks xx
I did a week of work experience at Pets at Home. This was over five years ago but I don't imagine that a lot will have changed.

It was the same as any retail position really. In the mornings we would help stock up the shelves after deliveries came in. The rest of the day was spent 'fronting up' the shelves (bringing stock to the front and making it look neat), helping customers to find things, and working the till. I didn't get to do much with the animals other than cleaning them out a few times... and scooping dead fish out of the tanks :tongue:

They didn't make us wear the uniform and just asked us to wear dark coloured clothes. I wore a shirt and school trousers but I was definitely overdressed, the others came wearing hoodies and trackies. I imagine that this will vary between stores depending on what the manager deems as acceptable so it won't hurt to contact them beforehand to ask what they want :smile:

Best of luck, hope you enjoy it!
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I did a week of work experience at Pets at Home. This was over five years ago but I don't imagine that a lot will have changed.

It was the same as any retail position really. In the mornings we would help stock up the shelves after deliveries came in. The rest of the day was spent 'fronting up' the shelves (bringing stock to the front and making it look neat), helping customers to find things, and working the till. I didn't get to do much with the animals other than cleaning them out a few times... and scooping dead fish out of the tanks :tongue:

They didn't make us wear the uniform and just asked us to wear dark coloured clothes. I wore a shirt and school trousers but I was definitely overdressed, the others came wearing hoodies and trackies. I imagine that this will vary between stores depending on what the manager deems as acceptable so it won't hurt to contact them beforehand to ask what they want :smile:

Best of luck, hope you enjoy it!

they specified to me that I can't have any contact with the animals for health and safety reasons which is a disappointment but oh well, j guess ill just wear jeans or something or ask them. thanks for the advice! xx
What Time Did You Go In For? And Do You Think It Is Alright To Wear A Checkered Shirt?
Original post by WorkingFuxFox
What Time Did You Go In For? And Do You Think It Is Alright To Wear A Checkered Shirt?

I was in from 9:00am but there were a few students there at the same time and some of them had different hours so you should probably double check with the manager before your placement starts.

Checkered shirt sounds fine to me :smile:
Thank You So Much For Your Fast Reply! I Have Work Experience Tomorrow And I Had Phoned Up Twice Before Hand, Which The Employees Had Told Me That I Could Come In At 7 And Finish At 2 Even Though It Says On My Paper Work To Come In At 9, Whats My Best Approach At This Situation?
Original post by WorkingFuxFox
Thank You So Much For Your Fast Reply! I Have Work Experience Tomorrow And I Had Phoned Up Twice Before Hand, Which The Employees Had Told Me That I Could Come In At 7 And Finish At 2 Even Though It Says On My Paper Work To Come In At 9, Whats My Best Approach At This Situation?

Go in for 7:00 as that seems to be when they're expecting you. Worst case scenario is they think you've shown up two hours early so you look keen, that's better than showing up two hours late on your first day.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Go in for 7:00 as that seems to be when they're expecting you. Worst case scenario is they think you've shown up two hours early so you look keen, that's better than showing up two hours late on your first day.

Perfect Advice Thank You! Just Glad I Woke Up Earlier Enough To Be Able To Go In For That Slotted Time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending