The Student Room Group

Christian help

I just wanted to know if you can be Christian without going to church. I don't go because I have no way of getting there but I still believe in God, pray and read the Bible, so can I call myself a Christian?
Original post by Nerd_101
I just wanted to know if you can be Christian without going to church. I don't go because I have no way of getting there but I still believe in God, pray and read the Bible, so can I call myself a Christian?

You don’t need to go to Church, read a Bible or have the title ‘Christian’ to be a good person.

Of course! I rarely make it to church due to ill health, but I still consider myself to be a practising Christian :jebus:
as long as you believe on the Lord Jesus Christ to save you, then you are a Christian.

if you're male, you can start your own church, because as Christians, we should always go to church.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Of course! I rarely make it to church due to ill health, but I still consider myself to be a practising Christian :jebus:

I pray you get well soon!
Original post by JaydorIV
as long as you believe on the Lord Jesus Christ to save you, then you are a Christian.

if you're male, you can start your own church, because as Christians, we should always go to church.

Please no more churches. We got thousands, more will just confuse people.
Original post by ProRoadman
Please no more churches. We got thousands, more will just confuse people.

majority of the thousands are bad churches preaching a false gospel unfortunately. but I get what you mean.
The bible says “not to neglect the assembling of yourselves”, being around other Christians strengthens your faith
Church can be anywhere where two or three are gathered together with the intent of worship. It doesn't have to be a set place. It could be your bedroom as long as you dedicate it first. I'd also only call myself a Christian if I'm Christ-like, because that's what the word Christian means. If you don't consider yourself to have Christ-like attributes, don't call yourself a Christian. Simple as. This may help:
Attachment not found

Also, unfortunate enough, the rainbow in the picture does not mean what people interpret it today :s-smilie:
(edited 5 years ago)

Well what is the church? It's a misconception to think it's a building. The church isn't a medieval like structure with a steeple. The church is Christ's people. The church is the brothers and sisters in faith coming together to understand more of God's word, grow in faith and to help each other. The church are those that accept God as Trinity and understand that salvation is through Christ alone. A building can't do that. You do not have to go to this 100+ year old building to be a Christian.

What you should try to do is to come together with other brothers and sisters anywhere and praise God. Many new churches begin in people's homes and if you can you should try to get together with some of your church family in someone's home. It can be any person's home. It matters not.

I pray that you have the opportunity to meet up with other Christians.

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

I pray that the Lord raises you up and heals you of your struggle. I also pray that you return to our church family in full health and full of the Holy Spirit to carry on praising our God.
Reply 10

Here's a short but highly important bible study for you:

A Christian is someone who has received the Holy Spirit because “Christ” or “Messiah” means “anointed one” and the anointing is the Holy Spirit (Acts 10v38). Romans 8v9 states:-
" . . . you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."

In the new testament it is known precisely when people receive the Holy Spirit!

The apostles reported:-
" . . . they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance . . . having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he has shed forth this, which you now SEE and HEAR . . . For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to ALL that are afar off, even AS MANY AS the Lord our God shall call." (Acts 2v4, 33, 39)

If you were told that what you could "see and hear" was the promised Holy Spirit, and that this was to you and all who God would call, wouldn’t you expect to speak in tongues, or be told if this was not the case ? With the gentiles:-
"While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.” (Acts 10v44)
How did he know ? . . .
(v46) "For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God."

Peter then stopped his explanation of Jesus to command water baptism.

There is only one gospel, so, it must be the same as her at the beginning!
I don't want to shock you but many "churches" offer a different, words-only "gospel" that saves no-one. You are right not to join them.

PM me if you are interested in a church that sticks to the original.
Reply 11
Of course you can, heck yeah my fellow lover of Christ
Original post by NJA
Here's a short but highly important bible study for you:

A Christian is someone who has received the Holy Spirit because “Christ” or “Messiah” means “anointed one” and the anointing is the Holy Spirit (Acts 10v38). Romans 8v9 states:-
" . . . you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."

In the new testament it is known precisely when people receive the Holy Spirit!

The apostles reported:-
" . . . they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance . . . having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he has shed forth this, which you now SEE and HEAR . . . For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to ALL that are afar off, even AS MANY AS the Lord our God shall call." (Acts 2v4, 33, 39)

If you were told that what you could "see and hear" was the promised Holy Spirit, and that this was to you and all who God would call, wouldn’t you expect to speak in tongues, or be told if this was not the case ? With the gentiles:-
"While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.” (Acts 10v44)
How did he know ? . . .
(v46) "For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God."

Peter then stopped his explanation of Jesus to command water baptism.

There is only one gospel, so, it must be the same as her at the beginning!
I don't want to shock you but many "churches" offer a different, words-only "gospel" that saves no-one. You are right not to join them.

PM me if you are interested in a church that sticks to the original.

what's the original?
Reply 13
Original post by JaydorIV
what's the original?

The one preached and experienced at the beginning:
Acts 2 (Israelites)
Acts 10 (Gentiles)

Both saw people obeying Jesus' commands to repent, be baptised and receive His Spirit (evidenced by the miraculous new prayer language, speaking in tongues).
Yes you can definitely still be a Christian and not attend church. Church is basically for fellowship among those who believe. There is nothing wrong with that at all, but certainly you don't need that to have faith. Just read the bible and pray on your own time.
Reply 15

If you can't get to church then there should be no problem. There are plenty of podcasts to listen to to help build up your faith. There are lots of great podcasts to listen to here:

https://www.htb.org/sunday-talks

You can pray wherever you are, it doesn't have to be set prayers, at a set time, in a set place.

You can sing and praise God wherever you are too.

The only reason I see for going to church is because God calls us the body of Christ and one limb cannot function without the other. This is metaphorical of course, it just means we all have a part to do and being together in church helps with that. Having Christian friends at church is really important too, socializing together and getting support through their prayers for you is invaluable.
Yes, you are still considered a Christian but the fact of going to church makes you an even deeper Christian if that makes sense. Going to church helps with builiding your relationship with God and sets most of the guidelines you need to be an even greater Christian. Hope that helped x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending