The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dinasaurus
Has anyone ever received 80%+ in an essay at uni, I'm setting myself the goal of getting 80% in one piece of work in my 2nd year.

My average essay is probably around a 2:1 and my best was only 71%, what are some tips you have to go above and beyond?

True that is it hard, i normally get 60-70%. But now i get abive 90%, i hire i guy from us to do my work..while im chilling 😎👊
Reply 21
the highest I got was 72% in 1st year. Then in 2nd year all my essays were 2:1s :frown:
Original post by Liv1204
I am very happy to send you both if you want to message me e-mail addresses! :smile:

A little late but I'd love to read it too if you don't mind!
Yeah, once. It was probably higher than that as my lecturer said that my paper was good enough to published in an academic journal.
Original post by aleksceramics
A little late but I'd love to read it too if you don't mind!

Sure, if you PM me your e-mail I can send it to you. :smile:
Firstly, I hope you achieved your goal and managed to get an 80 this year? I recieved a 70 and 80 in year one, with the rest being 68s. In year two i've had an 84, 80, 77 and 74 and others mid 60's. If I'm honest, I still don't know how I do it and I feel like I'm just fluking my way through so far.... I just read, and I read outside of the suggested reading lists. I study the module learning outcomes and the grading criteria on the grading rubrics we get as a guide for what to include/the structure/building the argument. I make sure that I reference everything i say, and also make sure that I provide opposing opinions/thoughts - being critical is a key thing.
(edited 5 years ago)
I got 80% on my first essay at university. I thought that meant I was laughing, the course was easy, and I would definitely get a first.

How wrong I was.
Original post by LizzieTwoShoes
I've got a 98% in an Essay on Breast Cancer metastasis for my first year.

I made a very detailed plan before I started and only used books or research papers related to the topic which was worth about 20% of the grade just on references.

I also made so many drafts and rechecked it continuously for the two weeks we had to complete it.

In other modules I've gotten 84%, 89% etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey Lizze, could you please give further detail for your method of how you go about writing essays and scoring so high? Also, how do you go about mechanisms or things in journals that are just so confusing and just do not make sense. Other questions that come to mind is do you know exactly what you want to write say for each paragraph or do you just sort of pick and choose from articles that you find. Becuase I did that and I scored very poorly. I would very much appreciate if you could give me all your advice as I struggle so much with essay writing despite putting in alot of time and effort. Feel free to PM.

Thank you.
Reply 28
During my Undergraduate degree, 75% was my highest mark.

Now I'm doing my MSc, 78% has been my highest mark. Though I'm really pleased with that, I can't help but feel very frustrated that I'm so close to the 80% bracket but just can't seem to do it! On some of my assignments where I've scored 78%, my feedback has no negative critique and so I've been left feeling confused as to why it wasn't higher.

I think sometimes there is a reluctance to award marks in the 80% bracket as that acknowledges that the work is of a quality that is considered worthy of publication. It also depends on the academic marking it. For instance, I received a piece of work back and it was only awarded 70% despite the fact the marker said my work was of an excellent standard, offered no negative critique and said my work stands out among the cohort and that I should be thinking strongly about a PhD. When I questioned why he had given me such a low First based on his feedback, he said that he qualified in an era where 70% was considered the benchmark and so that is him acknowledging that my work is excellent.
Yes, twice, lowest ever was 74.
Ignoring first year marks (which on the whole was my worst year with 2:1's majority), my highest achieved mark was a 96% which looked at Big Data and development of Anticipatory Intelligence for a second year module. Only two other essays reached over 80%, first analysing a case study for international supply chain management while the second was a case study I wrote on ethical and bad/toxic leadership in the collapse of Carillion.

Apart from a 60% in a second year module remainder of second and all of third were over 70%. Outside of essays there were a couple of group presentations of 84% and 95% (the latter involved coming up with a new business model to account for big data - the lecturer was quite impressed by it and gave us a few extra marks, but given that the majority of groups had gone for companies like ASOS or Amazon and only covered the models in the key text I think she was pleased for something different!)
Original post by PrittyVacant
Firstly, I hope you achieved your goal and managed to get an 80 this year? I recieved a 70 and 80 in year one, with the rest being 68s. In year two i've had an 84, 80, 77 and 74 and others mid 60's. If I'm honest, I still don't know how I do it and I feel like I'm just fluking my way through so far.... I just read, and I read outside of the suggested reading lists. I study the module learning outcomes and the grading criteria on the grading rubrics we get as a guide for what to include/the structure/building the argument. I make sure that I reference everything i say, and also make sure that I provide opposing opinions/thoughts - being critical is a key thing.

Damn can't believe its been so long, forgot about this. Sadly I didn't get an 80 in any essays, managed a 74 which was my best. I managed an 83 in a exam though which saved my grade pretty much. Got a year out of uni now on placement but should hopefully still be developing my writing in the time out, maybe 3rd year will be my year to hit that 80.
My grades improved every year, and the same for lots of my friends - so it's definitely possible! Highest was 90% for an essay on the evolution of the eye, which I got in third year.

In addition to the above posts, I would advise identifying gaps in the research - avenues that haven't been explored / published yet. For example, I got a big YES for something like: "[This paper] reached [this conclusion], however there's no obvious reason why this would be adaptive, and no further research has yet been completed.". This shows you have a thorough and up-to-date understanding of the subject.

Also, start to write it as soon as it's set. This way, when you finish it, you can leave it for a few days and come back to it. It takes time and commitment, but it will help you create your best work.

Edit: Just realised this thread was from last year - how did it go? :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by bekahw96
My grades improved every year, and the same for lots of my friends - so it's definitely possible! Highest was 90% for an essay on the evolution of the eye, which I got in third year.

In addition to the above posts, I would advise identifying gaps in the research - avenues that haven't been explored / published yet. For example, I got a big YES for something like: "[This paper] reached [this conclusion], however there's no obvious reason why this would be adaptive, and no further research has yet been completed.". This shows you have a thorough and up-to-date understanding of the subject.

Also, start to write it as soon as it's set. This way, when you finish it, you can leave it for a few days and come back to it. It takes time and commitment, but it will help you create your best work.

Edit: Just realised this thread was from last year - how did it go? :smile:

Oooh, any chance you got some inspiration from a certain R Dawkins with that subject choice or was it just coincidence?

I actually didn't get very many opportunities to write essays this year compared to last, my best was a 74 which is odd cause I wrote it quite late (couple days before the deadline). I had an ecology essay set on an issue we're currently facing, I was really sure I would write about pangolins and tried to write it for ages but just had complete writer's block and randomly decided at some point to switch my topic to be about Ash dieback. The crazy part is the organisation that brought Ash Dieback to my attention because I was just randomly looking through their site, I ended up getting a placement at which I'll be starting in September.

Hopefully I can get an 80 in one of my final year essays.
Original post by Dinasaurus
Oooh, any chance you got some inspiration from a certain R Dawkins with that subject choice or was it just coincidence?

I actually didn't get very many opportunities to write essays this year compared to last, my best was a 74 which is odd cause I wrote it quite late (couple days before the deadline). I had an ecology essay set on an issue we're currently facing, I was really sure I would write about pangolins and tried to write it for ages but just had complete writer's block and randomly decided at some point to switch my topic to be about Ash dieback. The crazy part is the organisation that brought Ash Dieback to my attention because I was just randomly looking through their site, I ended up getting a placement at which I'll be starting in September.

Hopefully I can get an 80 in one of my final year essays.

Ah wow amazing, congratulations on the placement! :smile: The highest I got in second year was 78, and that was an exam anyway - don't think I got anything above 72 in assignments, so 74 is fab. This year I've had 4 80+ assignments, so I'm sure you can do it too!

The essay title was set by the EvoDevo lecturer, but yes he is a big Dawkins fan :smile:
Reply 35
Hey do you mind if I see one of your essays? I’m in my second year and I got 72 in first trying to get up to the 80’s standard.
Original post by Abir Hassan
Hello Liv,

I hope your well. I have just come across this thread today, thank you for all the advice above. I keep on getting a 2:1 in my Pschology Bsc Essays and I was wondering if you might be able to send my a copy of your 1st class essay too. I would be so grateful.

Kind regards,
Abir Hassan

This shan't happen due to two reasons:

1. Once you submit an academic piece of work or writing to get marked by your university, it is then legally owned by the university. To then give it to another student, would breach the university's terms and conditions;

2. Plagiarism, which is a serious offence.

Talk to your tutors and module leaders if you want advice on how to improve your work.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 37
I routinely hit 80+ in my third year and didn't drop below it in my masters. Both in philosophy. Published twice in that period, and both dissertations were high 80s. The key things are cut out the waffle and actually have something to say, I think. For my discipline, anyway.
Original post by random_matt
Yes, twice, lowest ever was 74.

And now at Dunelm?
Original post by JohanGRK
damn philosophers :motz:i have friends getting similar marks in their philosophy modules at my uni and I'm jealous

I never got any high marks like that in my philosophy modules, nor my literatures ones too.

It just depends on one's capabilities, rather than the subject!

Latest

Trending

Trending