The Student Room Group

A-level options suggestions?!

Hi, so i was 100% sure until a few days ago that i wanted to do A-level French, A-level History and BTEC extended diploma Health and Social Care that is an a-level and a half.

However, i was always upset because our school doesnt particularly allow you to do 4 unless you beg them.. and i’ve always been inlove with English Literature. After speaking with my okder sister, i’m totally lost now with options!! I’m in the dilema that, i want to end up with a History degree and being a history teacher.. however i would like to do english lit&lan degree as a back up.

Should i do all four subjects and try and drop one after AS? Should it be french as i’m worse at french then any other subject- but i really want to try and try with it as i’ve put in such hard work in GCSEs, but i’m probably at a 6/B. But then i also have a job that is 20hrs a week, 4hrs a day every day.. can i keep up with four options and a job?!?!

What should i do? History,health and social and english, or french, history and health and social?! I’m so confused i really think i need somebody to give me advice. The only way i won’t 100% do a subject is if my reaults says something like “history - 4” or “english literature - 3” etc etc.
Reply 1
Original post by Georgiexxjanee
Hi, so i was 100% sure until a few days ago that i wanted to do A-level French, A-level History and BTEC extended diploma Health and Social Care that is an a-level and a half.

However, i was always upset because our school doesnt particularly allow you to do 4 unless you beg them.. and i’ve always been inlove with English Literature. After speaking with my okder sister, i’m totally lost now with options!! I’m in the dilema that, i want to end up with a History degree and being a history teacher.. however i would like to do english lit&lan degree as a back up.

Should i do all four subjects and try and drop one after AS? Should it be french as i’m worse at french then any other subject- but i really want to try and try with it as i’ve put in such hard work in GCSEs, but i’m probably at a 6/B. But then i also have a job that is 20hrs a week, 4hrs a day every day.. can i keep up with four options and a job?!?!

What should i do? History,health and social and english, or french, history and health and social?! I’m so confused i really think i need somebody to give me advice. The only way i won’t 100% do a subject is if my reaults says something like “history - 4” or “english literature - 3” etc etc.

BTEC Extended Diploma = 3 A levels.
BTEC 90-Credit Diploma = 1.5 A levels.

Why not take History, English and a BTEC Subsidiary Diploma in H&SC (worth 1 A level) ?
Original post by yt7777
BTEC Extended Diploma = 3 A levels.

Why not take History, English and a BTEC Subsidiary Diploma in H
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
QUOTE=yt7777;78945754]BTEC Extended Diploma = 3 A levels.

Why not take History, English and a BTEC Subsidiary Diploma in H

Did you delete your reply?
Original post by yt7777
Did you delete your reply?

I didnt realisenit had deleted, what i was meant to say is that i’m doing the 90 mark diploma for the ucas points, it’s logical if i do health and social. But i will miss french SO MUCH and i’ve put two years of hard work into it, i will be so beyon dupset if i don’t do it for a-level
Reply 5
I didnt realisenit had deleted, what i was meant to say is that i’m doing the 90 mark diploma for the ucas points, it’s logical if i do health and social. But i will miss french SO MUCH and i’ve put two years of hard work into it, i will be so beyon dupset if i don’t do it for a-level

So you've just finished your AS year (Y12)?

Thats fair enough but if you want to do a degree in English you should probably sacrifice it French. Or just take English, History and French?
Original post by yt7777
So you've just finished your AS year (Y12)?

Thats fair enough but if you want to do a degree in English you should probably sacrifice it French. Or just take English, History and French?

No, i’ve just finished GCSEs, will be going into y13 in september:smile: well english degree is my back up if my history doesnt go weel enough, but i want a history degree ideally. The whole reason of doing french is because i love the language and prehaps live out in france when i’ve finished my degree, even do a year out there at a partnering university. See where the dilema is?
Reply 7
No, i’ve just finished GCSEs, will be going into y13 in september:smile: well english degree is my back up if my history doesnt go weel enough, but i want a history degree ideally. The whole reason of doing french is because i love the language and prehaps live out in france when i’ve finished my degree, even do a year out there at a partnering university. See where the dilema is?

Yeah, what's stopping you just doing English, French and History then all of your options are kept open?
Original post by yt7777
Yeah, what's stopping you just doing English, French and History then all of your options are kept open?

I don’t believe i’m smart enough to be able to do 3 a-levels full on, i’ve always said i need a btec as i struggle with the pressure of exam revising
Reply 9
I don’t believe i’m smart enough to be able to do 3 a-levels full on, i’ve always said i need a btec as i struggle with the pressure of exam revising

The BTEC will still be a hell of a lot of work (I did an Extended diploma. If you're not interested in H&SC then I would always say go for subjects which you're interested in and if you work hard enough you'll do well. If not, then you'll have to drop French.
Reply 10
You could take English Language A level which is meant to be easier than English Literature A level
Original post by yt7777
You could take English Language A level which is meant to be easier than English Literature A level

I wanted to take language originally as thats what i love bit my school doesnt run it
Reply 12
I wanted to take language originally as thats what i love bit my school doesnt run it

What about joint Lit and Lang?
Original post by yt7777
What about joint Lit and Lang?

They don’t do that either
Reply 14
They don’t do that either

Thats a shame.

Remember though you can always restart after your first year. So you could take English, History and French, give it your all this year and if you really are struggling after the first year with taking all 3, then you can restart on BTEC H&SC 90-credit + History and English A2, doing another 2 years.

Or even the Extended Diploma alongside one A2 subject in each year, check this is allowed first though.
to be honest, im doing french at a level (i just finished yr 13 will go to uni this year) and it was hard. i got an A* at gcse but have always had quite a natural knack at languages which is why i also do latin haha but others in my class who also got an A* at gcse are barely scraping Bs with a lot of effort, if u dont enjoy it/dont do as well in it compared to your other subjects dont do it,
Original post by yt7777
Thats a shame.

Remember though you can always restart after your first year. So you could take English, History and French, give it your all this year and if you really are struggling after the first year with taking all 3, then you can restart on BTEC H&SC 90-credit + History and English A2, doing another 2 years.

Or even the Extended Diploma alongside one A2 subject in each year, check this is allowed first though.

Do you think it’ll be too difficult doing all four options with 20hrs at work? If it’s managable i’ll really try, unless of course my GCSE results day decides for me!! It could turn out my history grade is awful and i get to do french,english and health and social.

Quick Reply

Latest