The Student Room Group

Black box fitting

Hi,
I've heard that the black box engineer will take pictures of my car when he/she comes to install it. Any one know anything more? Like what are the pictures going to be taken off?
(More than smart wheels )
Thanks
Reply 1
Mine never. They just jumped in the car, wired up and ****ed off once they'd dropped in my keys etc.
Original post by Bart.21
Hi,
I've heard that the black box engineer will take pictures of my car when he/she comes to install it. Any one know anything more? Like what are the pictures going to be taken off?
Thanks

The engineer will take around an hour to fit the black box. In my experience (last week) I think they just took random snaps of the outside just to inform the insurance company what condition the vehicle was initially in.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Janso
Mine never. They just jumped in the car, wired up and ****ed off once they'd dropped in my keys etc.

Ohh, that's great then but are you with more than smart wheels? 😂
Reply 4
Original post by Bart.21
Ohh, that's great then but are you with more than smart wheels? 😂

Oh I thought you meant would they want to photograph more than your smart wheels :colondollar:

A girl I work with is insured with them though and she never said anything about them taking any pictures
Reply 5
Original post by Janso
Oh I thought you meant would they want to photograph more than your smart wheels :colondollar:

A girl I work with is insured with them though and she never said anything about them taking any pictures

Ok, thank you
Reply 6
Original post by Bart.21
Hi,
Thanks

It'll be an all round photograph.
Reply 7
Ok, thank you, how do you find the insurance and black box. Is it any good ?
Reply 8
Original post by Bart.21

I don't have this insurance.
Original post by Bart.21

In my experience, it’s a complete farce. Go at whatever speed you want, use your car whenever and don’t think about the damn thing being there.

...I just realised you’re with More Than - it’s probably best not to do anything I just said!
Reply 10
Original post by BusinessExpert
In my experience, it’s a complete farce. Go at whatever speed you want, use your car whenever and don’t think about the damn thing being there.

...I just realised you’re with More Than - it’s probably best not to do anything I just said!

Woow, hahahaha that's not convincing 😂😂😂
Original post by Bart.21
Woow, hahahaha that's not convincing 😂😂😂

Yeah don't do that, we don't want to have you crying here in like 2 months time when they cancel your insurance. The photos are to ensure that:
1) If you crash your car, they can compare it to the pictures and check for mods.
2) That after the engineer leaves you don't call your insurer and insist he took a brick to your car to make a hole to connect the black box (yes, people actually complain about this)

We're more or less anti black-box in this section (hence why it's even in the pinned post), just to give you a heads up lol. They're a joke.
Original post by Bart.21
Hi,
Thanks

i had to fit my own ?! no pictures or anything ??
Reply 13
Original post by nevershear
Yeah don't do that, we don't want to have you crying here in like 2 months time when they cancel your insurance. The photos are to ensure that:
1) If you crash your car, they can compare it to the pictures and check for mods.
2) That after the engineer leaves you don't call your insurer and insist he took a brick to your car to make a hole to connect the black box (yes, people actually complain about this)

We're more or less anti black-box in this section (hence why it's even in the pinned post), just to give you a heads up lol. They're a joke.

Yeah, but I just want to know what's up coming for me. I know black box insurance is terrible but it's either this or lots more money.
Thank you😁
Reply 14
Original post by Bart.21
Yeah, but I just want to know what's up coming for me. I know black box insurance is terrible but it's either this or lots more money.
Thank you😁

You'd be better off saving up.

On your own head.
Original post by Bart.21
Hi,
Thanks

I remember my ex had a box fitted and it took about half an hour. Don’t remneber any pictures but it will probably be just a general picture overall and close up pictures of any damage.
Original post by IWMTom
You'd be better off saving up.

On your own head.

Indeed, I'd never recommend taking out a black box policy. Save up for a non black box policy. Those things are notorious for being inaccurate and for doing weird things, such as measuring acceleration/braking wrongly, and for cancelling your policy by going 1mph over the speed limit a couple of times.

And yes, I've just passed my test a week ago. I'm getting a policy that does not involve a black box, when I need to start driving. Because black boxes are terrible.
Original post by Bart.21
it's either this or lots more money.

Original post by Bart.21
Thank you😁

I think it’s the best thing to do to have a black box in your first year. It is definitely the cheapest deal you will get. But it is also true that they aren’t cheap long term and I don’t know anybody who had a box and had a cheaper renewal quote.

My first year I was with Bell and I had a black box for 3 months which was plugged into my cigarette lighter. It was 1400 and the cheapest insurance I could find. At the end of the 3 months they put my insurance up by £20 because they estimated I was going to do more miles than I said. Other than that it was okay it didn’t restrict me at all and I could drive at any time on any roads. Then at the end of the year my renewal quote was something daft like 3 grand lmao but luckily as it was my second year driving I found another insurance company which didn’t involve a box that was 1400 again. Then the 3rd year I got insured for 700 and every year it goes down even more

Try Bell insurance the box is only for 3 month

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending