The Student Room Group

19 and a Tory voter - Tons of abuse

Is anyone out there young and a conservative voter? I am and I'm constantly on the end of a lot of abuse from other people which is a bit confusing?

I've been told:

"To Kill myself"
"That voting conservative means I want my family to die"
"To get cancer and die"

Just a few including a few threats over the last year or so, I've had many more but this is just a few I've had. Obviously many people telling me i'm a retard, stupid, don't know anything etc but these are tame. I know that only around 10-20% (dependant on area) of people my age are tory voters so I'm in a minority, but why does this seem to be an acceptable trend? Is anyone else in a similar situation and found this to be common?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
where from, on TSR? cant imagine anyone giving you death threats to your face.
Reply 2
Original post by Joleee
where from, on TSR? cant imagine anyone giving you death threats to your face.

Not on TSR as most people here are fair, over other social medias such as Snapchat and Facebook messages.
It’s because most young people are, unfortunately, inexperienced at life and see conservative policies of encouraging hard work and enterprise as “selfish”. They would rather get something for nothing on the backs of the hard working, and this is a culture that has only been encouraged by Jeremy Corbyn, Nicola Sturgeon etc. Anyone who does not agree to that and supports alternative policies suggesting young people might actually have to work hard as opposed to being a keyboard warrior and sponging off of their hardworking elders are seen as the “enemy”.
Original post by xDron3
Is anyone out there young and a conservative voter? I am and I'm constantly on the end of a lot of abuse from other people which is a bit confusing?

I've been told:

"To Kill myself"
"That voting conservative means I want my family to die"
"To get cancer and die"

Just a few including a few threats over the last year or so, I've had many more but this is just a few I've had. Obviously many people telling me i'm a retard, stupid, don't know anything etc but these are tame. I know that only around 10-20% (dependant on area) of people my age are tory voters so I'm in a minority, but why does this seem to be an acceptable trend? Is anyone else in a similar situation and found this to be common?

Consequences.

Deal with it.

Stop whining like a little snowflake *****.
Just another example of how toxic left-wing politics is becoming.
Reply 6
Well I mean you are voting for the death of disabled people sooooo
Reply 7
Original post by mojojojo101
Consequences.

Deal with it.

Do you get told to kill yourself?
This situation is unacceptable.
I know I'm a more morally upstanding citizen, but come on, tories, seriously.
Reply 9
Original post by xDron3
Not on TSR as most people here are fair, over other social medias such as Snapchat and Facebook messages.

i don't use either, so i don't know how they work. aren't those friends groups tho? why would your friends say that to you?
Consequences.

Deal with it.

So being told to kill yourself is ok?

Original post by Milax1x
Well I mean you are voting for the death of disabled people sooooo

The OP clearly isn’t.
Reply 11
Consequences.

Deal with it.

Not whining, just seeing if it was as common as I first though, however a politcal opinion shouldn't make death threats acceptable.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Sinnoh
Do you get told to kill yourself?
This situation is unacceptable.

I'm just repeating what was said to me, from both centrists and right wingers.

I've had my Facebook account hacked by a right winger (they told me as much), I've had countless death threats, I've been called autistic, stupid, moronic, foolish, I've been patronized, dismissed and belittled and I am in no way particularly politically active.

I know people who have been assaulted, had their houses and businesses broken into, being falsely reported to the police all for expressing a political opinion that is further to left thanks acceptable.
Reply 13

I've had my Facebook account hacked by a right winger (they told me as much), I've had countless death threats, I've been called autistic, stupid, moronic, foolish, I've been patronized, dismissed and belittled and I am in no way particularly politically active.

I know people who have been assaulted, had their houses and businesses broken into, being falsely reported to the police all for expressing a political opinion that is further to left thanks acceptable.

Alright. Fair points.
@xDron3
Do you get told how you’re a selfish egotistical unempathetic piece of **** by those on the left who thinks they have the moral high ground and give strange looks every time you want to remotely talk about politics?
Yeah I’ve been there , I’m not 18 though I’ve made it clear that I align with the Conservatives and am a member,
Shows how tolerant the ‘liberal left’ are!

That’s obviously disgusting behaviour from those individuals, and you should not have to stand for it.
Original post by law411010
It’s because most young people are, unfortunately, inexperienced at life and see conservative policies of encouraging hard work and enterprise as “selfish”.

Sadly though, those policies tend to benefit the rich and super rich, the working hard bit generally impacts on the working class as an eroding of terms and conditions e.g. gig economy / zero hours contracts and to add into that the cutting of public services impacts those at the bottom of society more. Meanwhile, a sh1t NHS doesn't matter to Boris of Reece-Mogg who both no doubt have substantial private health provision paid for by inherited wealth.

I have no problem with working hard and enterprise, but fix what David Cameron said "We are all [not] in it together."
Reply 17
There's nothing wrong with being conservative in your political views. Our freedom of opinion and speech is an important part of what we call British values.
Original post by CountBrandenburg
@xDron3
Do you get told how you’re a selfish egotistical unempathetic piece of **** by those on the left who thinks they have the moral high ground and give strange looks every time you want to remotely talk about politics?
Yeah I’ve been there , I’m not 18 though I’ve made it clear that I align with the Conservatives and am a member,
Shows how tolerant the ‘liberal left’ are!

Are you still a libertarian btw?

What are the reasons you choose to side with the Tories over the Liberal Democrats?
"The peaceful left"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending