The Student Room Group

are all the a-levels marked now?

do you think ? for release on 16th aug

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moggygeorgieee

Yes - the results are released to unis over the weekend of 11th August.
Original post by Muttley79

oh gosh that is terrifying

marking is almost certainly complete, there might be a few loose ends of moderation still to come back , but as others have pointed out - HEIs and the Printers have the results several days before the realease date and they aim to have them arrive in school the day before result;s day
oh gosh that is terrifying

how do you think the HEIs work out whether they are going to confirm places ofr the 'near miss' applicants and know how many clearing / adjustment places they will have ?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by InArduisFouette
how do you think the HEIs work out whether they are going to cvonfirm places ofr the 'near miss' applicants and knowhow many clearing / adjustment places they will have ?

i don’t know that’s why i asked aha

i’ve just heard a lot of things about people having to wait for unis to make a decision after results day thus i thought they received results at the same time as us
i don’t know that’s why i asked aha

i’ve just heard a lot of things about people having to wait for unis to make a decision after results day thus i thought they received results at the same time as us

They go through the 'firms' and see how many have the grades - they get places. Most then go through 'firm' near misses and do the same [reading PS again and any school letters re 'issues']. Then they will repeat with insurance seeing who they will take if they miss their firm. Everyone communicates with UCAS so they can check places. Once that's done thy might go through numbers again - do thy want more near misses or offer clearing places? They should then know what places they have although rejections and adjustment might change that.
They go through the 'firms' and see how many have the grades - they get places. Most then go through 'firm' near misses and do the same [reading PS again and any school letters re 'issues']. Then they will repeat with insurance seeing who they will take if they miss their firm. Everyone communicates with UCAS so they can check places. Once that's done thy might go through numbers again - do thy want more near misses or offer clearing places? They should then know what places they have although rejections and adjustment might change that.

it;s a little bit less strictly regulated than it used to be in that the penalities for oversubscription from the funding / commissioning side of things are minimal these days compared to 10 or 20 years ago
it;s a little bit less strictly regulated than it used to be in that the penalities for oversubscription from the funding / commissioning side of things are minimal these days compared to 10 or 20 years ago

Yes but there will still be a maximum of places they will offer owing to room capacity, tutor workload, timetabling, ..

Would there be a chance of hearing back from them before the 16th?
Original post by Mystelle
Would there be a chance of hearing back from them before the 16th?

UCAS is locked and unis are not supposed to contact before the 16th. You might get an e-mail from your uni on 15th or early on 16th before Track is openbut don't bet on it..
Yes but there will still be a maximum of places they will offer owing to room capacity, tutor workload, timetabling, ..

overshooting by a few people used to mean big 'fines' and loads of hassle for a HEI there were really quite strict quotas on all subjects not just the ones HEE are involved with ( as that is placement dependent as well )
overshooting by a few people used to mean big 'fines' and loads of hassle for a HEI there were really quite strict quotas on all subjects not just the ones HEE are involved with ( as that is placement dependent as well )

I know - I'm a teacher - I can remember when Warwick were fined for two many Maths undergrads when everyone met their offer.
I know - I'm a teacher - I can remember when Warwick were fined for two many Maths undergrads when everyone met their offer.

Things like that can happen?
Sorry to derail your thread OP.
Original post by MajorFader
Things like that can happen?
Sorry to derail your thread OP.

it used to happen , which was why 'adjustment' couldn't happen before the rules were changed , you had to beg to be released by your firm and the go through clearing or decline your place exit UCAS for that year and take a gap yah and apply with known results in the next cycle ( but if successful you got an unconditional offer there - as unconditionals used to only be given to people who fully met the entry conditions for a course - the past equivalent to the current sort of unconditional was a 'EE' offer i.e. you had to pass any 2 of you a levels at any grade / equivalent weight and grade of BTECs )
(edited 5 years ago)
it used to happen , which was why 'adjustment' couldn't happen before the rules were changed , you had to beg to be released by your firm and the go through clearing or decline your place exit UCAS for that year and take a gap yah and apply with known results in the next cycle ( but if successful you got an unconditional offer there - as unconditionals used to only be given to people who fully met the entry conditions for a course - the past equivalent to the current sort of unconditional was a 'EE' offer i.e. you had to pass any 2 of you a levels at any grade / equivalent weight and grade of BTECs )

Sorry you also mentioned HEI, can you explain further? Honestly haven’t got a clue what it is.

Probably yes bc the results are usually given to unis 2 weeks before they are officially released to students.
Original post by MajorFader
Sorry you also mentioned HEI, can you explain further? Honestly haven’t got a clue what it is.

Higher Education Institution - so includes the proto universities e.g. ' University Centre <placename>' / university colleges and the Drama/ Dance /Music institutions that offer HE courses ...

HEE - health education England - so to do with pre and post reg health professional courses
(edited 5 years ago)
Higher Education Institution - so includes the proto universities e.g. ' University Centre <placename>' / university colleges and the Drama/ Dance /Music institutions that offer HE courses ...

Ohh it was just an acronym? How dumb could I be? 😂
Original post by SomMC1
Probably yes bc the results are usually given to unis 2 weeks before they are officially released to students.

It's not two weeks - they get them the weekend before ie 11th August.

Quick Reply

Latest