The Student Room Group

How competitive are Graduate Scheme/Jobs?

I am currently a Maths student going into third year at Lancaster uni. I wondered if anybody has any insight on graduate jobs and schemes.

I got a first in my second year although I don't have much work experience - how difficult will it be to get a graduate job in my position?

I should also mention that I would prefer to work in the midlands or north from there although I understand the wages may not be as good.

Competitive.
Like always, depends on which programs. Most of the programs will be oversubscribed and getting past those blimming psychometric tests can be half the battle sometimes. Once you've got an interview it comes down to how well you can sell yourself. People with more experience will be able to do this better (competency / strength based recruitment).
Reply 3
Original post by SirAlexFerguson
Like always, depends on which programs. Most of the programs will be oversubscribed and getting past those blimming psychometric tests can be half the battle sometimes. Once you've got an interview it comes down to how well you can sell yourself. People with more experience will be able to do this better (competency / strength based recruitment).

It's a bit worrying as I have never been the most confident person, although I did start an unpaid internship in the NHS last week, hopefully it will help, thanks.
Reply 4
Original post by MattETaylor
I am currently a Maths student going into third year at Lancaster uni. I wondered if anybody has any insight on graduate jobs and schemes.

I got a first in my second year although I don't have much work experience - how difficult will it be to get a graduate job in my position?

I should also mention that I would prefer to work in the midlands or north from there although I understand the wages may not be as good.

Hi Matt

What experience do you have? What are you doing at the NHS? When you say going into your third year do you mean final year or third year of a MMATH degree?

Grad scheme admissions tend to be tough to get into. It helps to have two or three broad fields you would be interested in and to try to learn about their admissions criteria and what the job entails in order to progress through application processes. As someone has said above you need to get clued up and get some practice on assessment tests as there are a lot of these.

Any ideas about what you might like to do?
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
Hi Matt

What experience do you have? What are you doing at the NHS? When you say going into your third year do you mean final year or third year of a MMATH degree?

Grad scheme admissions tend to be tough to get into. It helps to have two or three broad fields you would be interested in and to try to learn about their admissions criteria and what the job entails in order to progress through application processes. As someone has said above you need to get clued up and get some practice on assessment tests as there are a lot of these.

Any ideas about what you might like to do?

Sorry for the very delayed response I haven't been on tsr in a while but thanks for your answer. Currently I'm looking at doing one at the big 4 or any
other firms offering training to get an ACA qualification as I think it could lead to a rewarding and interesting career, though I'm not sure I have the commercial knowledge required for these companies and will have to do some reading.

Quick Reply

Latest