The Student Room Group

BTEC Level 3 grade - AS grade equivalent

Hi

I receive my AS results tomorrow and one of my subjects is the Level 3 National extended certificate in ICT and I was told that we get the equivalent of an AS this year. I assume that the grading equivalent for a full a level and BTEC is the same for a BTEC and AS? E.g D* = A* D = A M = C P = E but as you can’t get an A* at AS level, can you not get a Distinction* on the first half of a BTEC? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Apple2017
Hi

I receive my AS results tomorrow and one of my subjects is the Level 3 National extended certificate in ICT and I was told that we get the equivalent of an AS this year. I assume that the grading equivalent for a full a level and BTEC is the same for a BTEC and AS? E.g D* = A* D = A M = C P = E but as you can’t get an A* at AS level, can you not get a Distinction* on the first half of a BTEC? Thanks

A D* and D are higher than an AS level A, but you cna treat them as the same.
A merit is akin to a B.
A pass is akin is between and D and an E.

Dont fret just score as high as possible.
Reply 2
You can still get a D* in the BTEC Certificate (AS equiv), even though there is no A* in AS Levels.

This is because AS is easier than A2, But, BTECs are taught all at the same level making all grades accessible.
Original post by yt7777
You can still get a D* in the BTEC Certificate (AS equiv), even though there is no A* in AS Levels.

This is because AS is easier than A2, But, BTECs are taught all at the same level making all grades accessible.

Great thanks. So If i got a Merit in my BTEC certificate tomorrow I could say I got a B? (This is really just for telling older people in my family who don’t understand a level equivalents so it’s easier just to tell them it’s an a level subject lol)
Great thanks. So If i got a Merit in my BTEC certificate tomorrow I could say I got a B? (This is really just for telling older people in my family who don’t understand a level equivalents so it’s easier just to tell them it’s an a level subject lol)

If you had to but really it is a merit.
Original post by 999tigger
If you had to but really it is a merit.

Thanks. I’ve never received BTEC results before but do they grade your individual units? I done unit 2 and unit 3 this year so will I receive a mark and grade for those as well as the overall certificate?
Thanks. I’ve never received BTEC results before but do they grade your individual units? I done unit 2 and unit 3 this year so will I receive a mark and grade for those as well as the overall certificate?

You should receive a grade for each unit P,M,D and then they are combined to give the final grade.
You should receive a grade for each unit P,M,D and then they are combined to give the final grade.

So is there no distinction* at unit level? And I take it a Pass = C, Merit = B and Distinction = A at unit level, the same as at certificate level?
So is there no distinction* at unit level? And I take it a Pass = C, Merit = B and Distinction = A at unit level, the same as at certificate level?

At unit level the highest is a distinction.
A pass is equivalent to between an E and a D. I already said that in my first post.
Certificate level is just all your grades combined.
At unit level the highest is a distinction.
A pass is equivalent to between an E and a D. I already said that in my first post.
Certificate level is just all your grades combined.

Sorry yes was meant to put pass as an E, got carried away and wrote C lol. Thanks. That has cleared up my confusion
Reply 10

Merit is a C

Pass is an E
Distinction is an A
D* is an A*
Original post by yt7777
Merit is a C

Pass is an E
Distinction is an A
D* is an A*

Thanks. That’s me having it in my head that a Merit is a B when it’s a C in this type of qualification. Will need to remember that

Hi again,
Below shows the results sheet I received from Edexcel and it only shows the unit grades but not the overall BTEC certificate grade?
EAE12BE8-E474-44AD-8C47-D92E7833D29B.jpg.jpeg

1DA2441C-F3C2-475D-B04B-23A20C621232.jpg.jpeg
And then on this sheet printed from My schools Sims system shows only unit 2 but it has the merit as an overall grade. Why would this be since unit 2 is only a unit? What actually is my overall grade for the BTEC certificate?
Hi again,
Below shows the results sheet I received from Edexcel and it only shows the unit grades but not the overall BTEC certificate grade?
EAE12BE8-E474-44AD-8C47-D92E7833D29B.jpg.jpeg

1DA2441C-F3C2-475D-B04B-23A20C621232.jpg.jpeg
And then on this sheet printed from My schools Sims system shows only unit 2 but it has the merit as an overall grade. Why would this be since unit 2 is only a unit? What actually is my overall grade for the BTEC certificate?

Too small what are the three grades P, M or D?
Too small what are the three grades P, M or D?

On the Edexcel sheet i got a Distinction in using social media in business and then a Merit in creating systems to manage information

On the sheet printed from SIMS, it has the creating systems to manage info unit listed and it has the merit grade underneath the Grd1 column
On the Edexcel sheet i got a Distinction in using social media in business and then a Merit in creating systems to manage information

On the sheet printed from SIMS, it has the creating systems to manage info unit listed and it has the merit grade underneath the Grd1 column

Are those three units DMM ?
creating systems to manage information seems to be mentioned twice, so is one a double unit or is one missed off theres 3 for a level 3 certificate?
Are those three units DMM ?
creating systems to manage information seems to be mentioned twice, so is one a double unit or is one missed off theres 3 for a level 3 certificate?

Oh sorry for the confusion I haven’t explained this very well. No I only done two units, the information systems one and the social media one. I got a Distinction in the social media one and a Merit in the information system one. But it doesn’t really tell me what my BTEC certificate grade is.

On the non Edexcel results sheet it shows the information systems unit as an overall grade which is what I can’t understand as its a unit
Oh sorry for the confusion I haven’t explained this very well. No I only done two units, the information systems one and the social media one. I got a Distinction in the social media one and a Merit in the information system one. But it doesn’t really tell me what my BTEC certificate grade is.

On the non Edexcel results sheet it shows the information systems unit as an overall grade which is what I can’t understand as its a unit

I am getting 3x 10 credit units

Pearson BTEC Level 3 Certifi cate1 Qualifi cation credit value: a minimum of 30 credits.2 Minimum credit to be achieved at, or above, the level of the qualification: 23 credits.3 Mandatory unit credit: 20 credits.4 Optional unit credit: 10.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/BTEC-Nationals/Information-Technology/2016/Introductory-guides/BTEC%20Level%203%20Nationals%20Computing%20and%20IT%20Guide.pdf

Looks like there are 2 mandatory units and an optional one.

If your other grade is at least a merit then DMM or better is a distinction.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 18
Unless those 2 units are 15 credits each? This is the newer 2016-2017 specification so the units are slightly different to the previous spec
Reply 19
You should have 4 units for an extended certificate not sure why you only have 2 grades. I think you should contact your sixth form/college about this so they can get you your grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending