The Student Room Group

Do lemonade drinks in pubs contain alcohol

I don’t drink and I ordered one yesterday and it tasted different to regular lemonade

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Haviland-Tuf
I don’t drink and I ordered one yesterday and it tasted different to regular lemonade

No. but it could have been a premium lemonade which cost a lot more.
Reply 2
Nope, they sell non-alcoholic stuff. It was probably a horrible taste because they get the cheapest and therefore most horrible lemonade they can find. Try to get a bottle if you can.
Original post by 999tigger
No. but it could have been a premium lemonade which cost a lot more.

I paid 4:50 for it. I’m really worried I drank alcohol
(edited 5 years ago)
£4.50 for one lemonade?
I dread to think what they charge for Coke or sparkling water.
Which area was it?

I paid 4:50 for it. I’m really worried I drank alcohol
Not likely, unless you asked them for it. If they were serving alcohol to people who didn't ask it creates a lot of issues with their liquor license. Also, frankly, alcohol isn't cheap and everywhere I've been that serves alcohol will more than anything try and get away with serving you less than what you wanted. With health & safety and food hygiene laws, glasses will have been cleaned thoroughly (most places seem to have basically a sort of big autoclave that does it), so it's unlikely to be residue.

It makes zero sense to assume a soft drink you ordered had alcohol in it...simply, you are not valuable enough as an individual to risk legal issues and losing their license to intentionally put it in, and the threat of it happening at all is not worth allowing the possibility for by cutting corners in those areas for the same reasons.
Imagine still being worried a whole day after ordering a lemonade that you drank alcohol just because it tasted funny.
They obviously gave you a nice lemonade that's expensive
Original post by artful_lounger
Not likely, unless you asked them for it. If they were serving alcohol to people who didn't ask it creates a lot of issues with their liquor license. Also, frankly, alcohol isn't cheap and everywhere I've been that serves alcohol will more than anything try and get away with serving you less than what you wanted. With health & safety and food hygiene laws, glasses will have been cleaned thoroughly (most places seem to have basically a sort of big autoclave that does it), so it's unlikely to be residue.

It makes zero sense to assume a soft drink you ordered had alcohol in it...simply, you are not valuable enough as an individual to risk legal issues and losing their license to intentionally put it in, and the threat of it happening at all is not worth allowing the possibility for by cutting corners in those areas for the same reasons.

Thanks for the long answer m8. I was just shocked by how vile the lemonade tasted and it had a very weird taste to it. It was very bitter that it made my mouth dry.

Thanks for putting my concerns to rest though.
Reply 10
Sounds like a lemonade and whisky.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Imagine still being worried a whole day after ordering a lemonade that you drank alcohol just because it tasted funny.

Hey, no need to be facetious. I wasn't familiar with pubs or alcohol and I was concerned that perhaps ordering a lemonade in a pub might automatically be assumed as wanting some alcoholic version.

For the record, I took two sips and I didn't down the whole drink.
As someone who has worked in a pub, 50% chance they just didn't wash the glass properly after someone else has been sloshing down vodka and coke. Wouldn't be surprised if you got half a mouthful of KP Nuts and pork scratchings.

Original post by artful_lounger
With health & safety and food hygiene laws, glasses will have been cleaned thoroughly (most places seem to have basically a sort of big autoclave that does it), so it's unlikely to be residue.

Lol.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Notoriety
As someone who has worked in a pub, 50% chance they just didn't wash the glass properly after someone else has been sloshing down vodka and coke. Wouldn't be surprised if you got half a mouthful of KP Nuts and pork scratchings.

Are you serious or are you trolling me?

In the future, do pubs give plastic cups if you don't want to drink from the glass cups?
Original post by londonmyst
£4.50 for one lemonade?
I dread to think what they charge for Coke or sparkling water.
Which area was it?

Hence it has to be a super premium one where they squeezed they plucked the lemon off the indoor lemon tree and freshly squeezed it in front of the customer.
Original post by Viva Emptiness

could be health reasons, religion or pregnancy.

In the future, do pubs give plastic cups if you don't want to drink from the glass cups?

No, I am being quite serious. A lot of pubs still use cold-water washers, where you manually press the glass against brushes with water jetting out. That doesn't even purport to kill bacteria. And the jet stream is weak, brushes bent from use -- it is not really conceivable that more than 99% of the stuff has left the glass after it's been washed.

The hot washers we used were top of the line, but obviously used non-stop. There would still be glitter, lipstick, etc on the glasses after we washed them. The glasses sometimes have clear solidified residue. When it is not busy, I would strive to redo them till they were done properly. But not everyone is as diligent as that, and when you have a line of customers at the bar, it really is unavoidable.

Some places will do plastic cups, but might take offence.

Basically, I would only drink from a glass form a pub/bar if I was already sloshed. If I was sober going in for a sober drink, nah.
(edited 5 years ago)

Why not just drink from the bottle or ask for the bottle and pour it yourself?
Is the alcohol a religious thing?
I honestly dont think so, its more likely you were shocked by the taste of real lemon? Btw if it was clear fizzy water then I give up.
Original post by 999tigger
Why not just drink from the bottle or ask for the bottle and pour it yourself?
Is the alcohol a religious thing?
I honestly dont think so, its more likely you were shocked by the taste of real lemon? Btw if it was clear fizzy water then I give up.

Can you clarify what you mean by the bolded?

No its not religious. Its for health reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest