The Student Room Group

How much revision should I do in beginning of year 11?

I have gcse mocks in January and want to get 8s/9s. Should I begin revising for them in September or does that risk be burning out when my actual GCSEs take place in May and June?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can do a bit of revision each night/week. Just don't revise for them like they're tomorrow or you will burn out
Original post by Sataris
You can do a bit of revision each night/week. Just don't revise for them like they're tomorrow or you will burn out

so would you think that about an extra hour each night on top of homework is the right amount to be sufficiently prepared but not tired of revising come the real exams?
I started in march/ April and got 888876665. They are not very good grades tbh and I could have got 7s instead of them 6s if I bothered to revise those subjects but imo , you should get good grades starting revison in march April time
Reply 4
Original post by Tomchr
so would you think that about an extra hour each night on top of homework is the right amount to be sufficiently prepared but not tired of revising come the real exams?

Personally I don't think even an hour is necessary. Maybe just half an hour going over what you've done during the day to cement it in your mind. You could do a little more on the weekends
do about an hour of revision when it comes to christmas (dk whether your mocks are before or after but i did mine after christmas, so come christmas time you wanna be revising about 3-4 hours a day i'd say.. Then like march you should be revising more seriously about 5-6 hours during easter break, and 3-4 hours on a school night.
If you're gonna start revising now, make it making revision resources instead of slaving away over chemistry papers. You'll thank yourself in April if all your flashcards/ mindmaps/ notes are already made
Original post by troubletracking
If you're gonna start revising now, make it making revision resources instead of slaving away over chemistry papers. You'll thank yourself in April if all your flashcards/ mindmaps/ notes are already made

Will do, thanks. Do you recommend making notes and then flashcards based off those notes or is that excessive?
Ok, thanks for the tips.
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
do about an hour of revision when it comes to christmas (dk whether your mocks are before or after but i did mine after christmas, so come christmas time you wanna be revising about 3-4 hours a day i'd say.. Then like march you should be revising more seriously about 5-6 hours during easter break, and 3-4 hours on a school night.
Original post by Tomchr
Will do, thanks. Do you recommend making notes and then flashcards based off those notes or is that excessive?

Idk if it's excessive, but that's what I did:redface: For history and the sciences especially, I'd make really detailed notes, then condense those onto flashcards (although for history I'd condense them onto mindmaps AND THEN flashcards lmao I was that extra)
Original post by troubletracking

Should I make flashcards based off my notes or is that excessive?
Original post by Sataris
Personally I don't think even an hour is necessary. Maybe just half an hour going over what you've done during the day to cement it in your mind. You could do a little more on the weekends

Thanks for the advice :smile:
I got 888877774 and started at Easter
I would recommend just going over year 10 topics and understanding the content fully from that year for the next couple months. Make revision resources for all of that content, make sure you're familiar with everything, and then when you get to February/March time you will be equally familiar with year 11 and year 10 content which may make it easier.
Original post by Klara_b155
I would recommend just going over year 10 topics and understanding the content fully from that year for the next couple months. Make revision resources for all of that content, make sure you're familiar with everything, and then when you get to February/March time you will be equally familiar with year 11 and year 10 content which may make it easier.

Great advice, thanks :smile:
Start reading over your yr 9/10 notes (depending on when you started your GCSE course) make mindmaps from your notes and textbooks, but condense them, after that make really condensed cue cards, it’ll help in the long run. That takes me about 30mins per subject a week. Plus seneca learning is really good for science subjects
Reply 16
Original post by Lisasmith20026
Start reading over your yr 9/10 notes (depending on when you started your GCSE course) make mindmaps from your notes and textbooks, but condense them, after that make really condensed cue cards, it’ll help in the long run. That takes me about 30mins per subject a week. Plus seneca learning is really good for science subjects

I agree seneca is good but not for science subjects where memorisation is key... I used seneca for chemistry and it flipped me over as i soon forget the information i'd advise kerboodle as it'll go into your long term memory especially if you make notes.
I personally didn’t start revising until January. Then Januray onwards I had a revision timetable that I made, and did 2 hours a night after school (with the exceptions of when I did an after school activity) and then during February half term, I was doing 6 hours a day, to make up for the time I would’ve been putting in at school (however, I wouldn’t advise this, you need a break) . My grades were eventually: 888877766

However, make sure to make your revision notes at the end of every day so you don’t spend to much time simply making the notes. The quicker the notes are done - the more time you have to revise :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Honestly not much, just get your homework done and stay on top of making revision resources cuz you'll just end up burning out like I did and you DO NOT want that happening trust me!
Reply 19
Original post by cryinqclouds
Honestly not much, just get your homework done and stay on top of making revision resources cuz you'll just end up burning out like I did and you DO NOT want that happening trust me!

I know i'm going to sound set 8 but what does burning out mean?

Quick Reply

Latest