The Student Room Group

The 'Welp, I tried' A-Level blog

Heyyy, my name is Meghan, I’m back at it again because evidently I just can’t get enough of ranting about my problems on the internet, and I’m trying to be more organised while embarking upon my first year of A-levels, but we’ll see how that goes.

This is my second GYG blog: I had one last year which documented the trials and tribulations of my GCSEs, which was kinda a success?? Idk, I had a load of fun writing it, although I did disappear for weeks on end as exam season approached, but if you’ve got approximately four days to spare (those posts were loooong omg), then you can find it here
But if the Muppets Most Wanted is anything to go by, we all know the sequel is never quite as good (although Shrek 2 is deffo the best don’t @ me).

This morning I changed my ‘current level of education’ thingy from GCSE to AS level, and let me tell you, it was a magnificent feeling. Although, I must say, I spent the entire holiday umming and ahhing over whether to change it to AS or A level, but I’m pretty sure I’ve made the right choice. Uni who? Nah, mate this was the decision of the decade.

To anyone that’s stuck with me: welcome to another year of pointless rambles, avoiding the TSR swear filter, me nerding out over personification and taking three weeks to reply.

So, uh yeah, I guess we better get on with it

The subjects I’m halfheartedly willing to devote the next two years of my life to:

OCR English Literature:

Spoiler

AQA History:

Spoiler

AQA French:

Spoiler

"GcSEs ArE tHE mOsT iMpORtANt eXaMS oF YoUr LivES"

Spoiler

The future?? Who???

Spoiler

As per usual, I don't really know what I'm aiming for. My best, obviously, but I guess AAA would be nice, though I think a B in French might be more realistic. I just don't know how this year's gonna go. It's going to be hard academically: I've heard all the dreaded 'A* GCSE student gets Ds at A-Level' rumours, but I'm also starting at a new sixth form college thingy, so that's only mildly terrifying:smile:

Last year, I know I worked hard and spent so many hours sweating away at my desk I didn’t know what to do when it was over, but at the same time, everything felt a little rushed and disorganised. I really want to try and focus on doing stuff as I go along, but I really don’t know how effective that’s going to be, because I’m sure I’ll have a productive September and then I’ll become a sausage roll until April where I’ll emerge from hibernation and do a years worth of work in a month.

Random snippets of my personal life no one asked for:

Spoiler

“Wait, so I have to read more dry classics in my spare time??
(a cheeky log to track my futile attempts at 'wider reading':wink:

Spoiler

Cheeky lil index:
(is this what the kids do these days?)

Spoiler

Tagz:
Just tagging a few peeps who may be interested (if you're not interested, by all means ignore me), but I'm not sure if I'll tag all posts because I'm sure y'all don't want me screaming incoherently in your notifications every few days:redface:

Spoiler

Join me on my adventure of figuring out which enrichment option looks the least mentally scarring, dealing with the self-hatred that comes with not wanting to do medicine, and somehow figuring out how to make friends at a big scary new place while being an awkward cauliflower. Oh, yeah, and there’s the actual A-level part too. I heard that’s pretty tricky.

So also join me to face a jump rumoured to be even worse than that Channel four skiing competition where that gymnast almost snapped her back in half one year. Is that even still a thing?

And so, to quote Jezza Corbs, we’re back and we’re ready to do it all over again.

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

ah i love this! am very excited to see how year 12 goes for you also:smile:
also ocr english lit wuttt poor you (though it may not be that bad lol)
Original post by entertainmyfaith
ah i love this! am very excited to see how year 12 goes for you also:smile:
also ocr english lit wuttt poor you (though it may not be that bad lol)

Ahh!!!Been faffing around with the formatting for the past 10 minutes cos I'm still not sure about how it looks, it's so LONG omg:redface: Although I suppose that's on brand so..
Hope it won't be too much of a trainwreck but we'll see haha:biggrin: And the same to you too! We're all growin up d'aww
UGhhh ik:frown: Though I do hope so, I won't have much to compare it to so it should be alright..?? Guess we'll find out lol
@troubletracking Keep me tagged, that was so entertaining to read. :biggrin: :hugs:
Reply 4
Good luck!! I've just finished A-level French and it's honestly not that bad. Word of warning though, get started on your Independent Research Project as soon as your teacher tells you to. So many people in my class pretty much left it until the last minute and it wasn't pretty :bricks:
can't wait for this!!!
i'm so ready (for this not school which is tomorrow ew please help)
i got tagged wow i feel special?? so hyped for this man !
Original post by MaizieAmyr
@troubletracking Keep me tagged, that was so entertaining to read. :biggrin: :hugs:

Sure! Guess I'm having a tag list this year:smile:
Ah thank you
Original post by eggyeol
Good luck!! I've just finished A-level French and it's honestly not that bad. Word of warning though, get started on your Independent Research Project as soon as your teacher tells you to. So many people in my class pretty much left it until the last minute and it wasn't pretty :bricks:

Hey, thank you for your reassurance! Been kinda dreading it tbh but I suppose I'll survive if I put the work in:redface:
Ouch, never heard of the independent research project before, but it sounds pretty intense:s-smilie: I'll deffo take your advice as I'm no stranger to approaching deadlines and I've had a few close calls lmao but this year I've made it my mission to be more organised:biggrin:
Original post by stalkingsilence
can't wait for this!!!
i'm so ready (for this not school which is tomorrow ew please help)

Woo thank you
I've got school on Monday so:frown: But year 10 was actually quite a fun year, ngl, it was the perfect balance of messing around cos nothing was that serious yet (maybe don't do that tho):redface:, and enough work to feel productive, so don't worry cos you've got this:smile:
Original post by pinegrove
i got tagged wow i feel special?? so hyped for this man !

Ahahah, welcome to the club my g:wink:
Strap yourself in for a wild ride lmao
yES!!! can’t wait to hear how it goes:gah:
ooh I’ll jump in the moving to another school boat:eek3:
erm you better tag me in every post:yep: I don’t mind the spam:smile:
Good luck:grouphugs:
Original post by Toastiekid
yES!!! can’t wait to hear how it goes:gah:
ooh I’ll jump in the moving to another school boat:eek3:
erm you better tag me in every post:yep: I don’t mind the spam:smile:
Good luck:grouphugs:

Year 12 won't know what hit it:wink:
ARghh i'm so nervous and excited about meeting new people it's like being in year 7 all over again
Haha, if you insist:smile: I'll try to keep up with the tag list this year
Thank youAnd you too, miss mozzarella
Lovely gcse results so huge congratulations to you on that achievement:smile:
Why are you only aiming for AAA? I mean duhh aim for A*A*A* :confused: or is the A level AS thingie maximum only AAA; I aint a A level student so im clueless

Do you really want to be an english teacher? Idk about you but I wouldnt enjoy being bullied by little 14 y/o brags 8 hours a day for the rest of my life!??? If all goes badly w an English lit degree, you could just analyse some books for Discovery channel or nat geo😂

'I've heard all the dreaded 'A* GCSE student gets Ds at A-Level' rumours' this is accurate actually; I got 10A*&A at iGCSE level and am basically failing maths right now. Youve been warned.

I think we can both agree that joining the army with 149.9cm as a female is probably not a good idea:biggrin: Youre tinyyy

tag me up, of course. and on all posts please and thank you😊
Original post by SomMC1
Lovely gcse results so huge congratulations to you on that achievement:smile:
Why are you only aiming for AAA? I mean duhh aim for A*A*A* :confused: or is the A level AS thingie maximum only AAA; I aint a A level student so im clueless

Do you really want to be an english teacher? Idk about you but I wouldnt enjoy being bullied by little 14 y/o brags 8 hours a day for the rest of my life!??? If all goes badly w an English lit degree, you could just analyse some books for Discovery channel or nat geo😂

'I've heard all the dreaded 'A* GCSE student gets Ds at A-Level' rumours' this is accurate actually; I got 10A*&A at iGCSE level and am basically failing maths right now. Youve been warned.

I think we can both agree that joining the army with 149.9cm as a female is probably not a good idea:biggrin: Youre tinyyy

tag me up, of course. and on all posts please and thank you😊

Wow thank you!:smile: And for the rep and follow, much appreciated:tongue:
I'm as clueless as you are on that one tbh:redface: Idk whether A* or A is the maximum for year 12s, but I suppose I'll be ambitious and aim for those A*s:biggrin:
ARgh idk!! I'm struggling to think of English-related careers that aren't journalism or sat there writing dictionaries tbh, and I want to help people so I thought I might enjoy it You're kinda right though, I'm not the best with kids/ teens so maybe I need to reconsider:biggrin:
Woah congrats on them grades dude! Kinda scared about the jump tbh. Heard it's awful, so that's reassuring:s-smilie:
Ahahaha, all my friends were like "you'll literally get trodden on" so the week in which I felt compelled to run away and join the armed forces was short lived
Sure, no problem, thank you for joining me on this adventure:smile:
Do you have a gyg? If so, could you give me a link?
Original post by troubletracking
Year 12 won't know what hit it:wink:
ARghh i'm so nervous and excited about meeting new people it's like being in year 7 all over again
Haha, if you insist:smile: I'll try to keep up with the tag list this year
Thank youAnd you too, miss mozzarella

No they won’t:laugh:
Same here:wink: I’m hoping I make a good group of friends:yep: let’s hope I talk this time unlike year 7 when I just followed people around like a weeping angel:teehee:
Thank youuu:smile: :penguinhug:
ah banner!! :love:
Good luck!! :rave:
"GcSEs ArE tHE mOsT iMpORtANt eXaMS oF YoUr LivES"

heard this a billion times *eyeroll*
YES, I'M TALLER!! (I'm 4'11" and a half :woo:) - (sorry, had to :colondollar:)

again, good luck!! (although I'm sure you won't need it much :hugs:)
Original post by nyxnko_
ah banner!! :love:
Good luck!! :rave:

heard this a billion times *eyeroll*
YES, I'M TALLER!! (I'm 4'11" and a half :woo:) - (sorry, had to :colondollar:)

again, good luck!! (although I'm sure you won't need it much :hugs:)

Spent a good few hours faffing on pic monkey all for the aesthetic:wink:
Aww thank you, Kei
Ugh drove me insane last year
NOOOOO YOU BET ME BY AN INCH!!! Will I ever find someone smaller than me??
Spent a good few hours faffing on pic monkey all for the aesthetic:wink:
Aww thank you, Kei
Ugh drove me insane last year
NOOOOO YOU BET ME BY AN INCH!!! Will I ever find someone smaller than me??

All for the aesthetic indeed :yes:
:cube:
And then it turns out they weren't (spoiler alert!!)
*evil laughter* (yes, you will :tongue:)
:lovehug:
yoooo so many essays :frown:
defo keep me updated though :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending