The Student Room Group

Brexit was never going to work out

Blame the Tories all you want but the truth is that no party would be able to competently negotiate Brexit because it was an impossible job. Promises of a smooth, simple and easy negotiation were blatant lies. Of course the EU doesn't want an easy deal for us because it would encourage more independence movements. At a time when right-wing sentiment is at a high, it would be suicidal for the EU establishment to let us leave with a good deal. The British economy is too tied to Europe to just get up and leave anyway. Thousands if not millions of jobs depend on EU imports being cheap and accessible. British demands for plentiful, cheap food all-year round can only be supported with foreign imports. We cannot survive on our own anymore.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pantera Fan Club
We cannot survive on our own anymore.

We never could. We would have been sunk in the war if it hadn't been for the Americans and their food imports. We have never been able to go it alone. Our strength has been in being able to trade and work with other countries. Sadly though the bleary rose tinted brigade don't seem to remember this small but crucial fact.
We are having a no deal, lets all rejoice.
Reply 3
Tried to warn them. All we got was fearmonger... doomsayer!
Reply 4
The EU would work fine if we all retained different currencies. That way, the **** nations would devalue and be able to sell exports dirt cheap... thus sorting it all out. EU is great... the Euro is the problem!
(edited 5 years ago)
Did you realise this now? Brexit is basically putting the UK's head around a noose.
Original post by Pantera Fan Club
Of course the EU doesn't want an easy deal for us because it would encourage more independence movements.

hmmmmm
Reply 7
As a brexiteer I mostly agree with what you are saying. If we don't get a good deal soon we will be in big trouble. I say as long as the EU lets us reject the open border policy and keep our currency I am fine. I don't need a hard Brexit, I would prefer one though but if we can't get a hard Brexit fine with me.
And regarding who is going to pick strawberries in the field, all those drunken, unemployed racist and far-right losers can do it as they always complain of immigrants taking up their jobs and space. Problem solved!
(edited 5 years ago)
They can keep on denying what is essentially the ultimate goal of the EU: to make Europe a single country.
Reply 9
Original post by The RAR
As a brexiteer I mostly agree with what you are saying. If we don't get a good deal soon we will be in big trouble. I say as long as the EU lets us reject the open border policy and keep our currency I am fine. I don't need a hard Brexit, I would prefer one though but if we can't get a hard Brexit fine with me.
And regarding who is going to pick strawberries in the field, all those drunken, unemployed racist and far-right losers can do it as they always complain of immigrants taking up their jobs and space. Problem solved!

We cried big trouble back in 2016... you lot just spat fearmonger and doomsayer at us. Reap what you have sown!
(edited 5 years ago)
Brexit was never going to work, why do you think no one else has tried it? As far as negotiations go, the EU have fundamental principles that they have to uphold, the UK Government appears to have completely forgotten about them all which is why we're not getting anywhere. Blame the Tories, Farage et al, they have got us into this mess and they are intent on going ahead, despite the damage that it will do. Use your next votes wisely!
Its this government that messed this whole thing up. Treason May offering a deal that she knew they could never accept, while most brexiteers just wanted a free trade agreement (Similar to the canadian/japanese). And then at the same time the EU not helping by constantly blotting out eu propaganda about how the UK will collapse (Yet the economy is doing great) and the eu elite constantly bullying the british (we are meant to be allies but anyway): for example recently the "Scallop War", and also recently how we would be kicked of the Galileio project.

Either way our government has no backbone to go against them, but who else do we vote for - Labour, funny.
the only party that seems like they will actually go through with it is UKIP
Original post by zootzoot
Its this government that messed this whole thing up. Treason May offering a deal that she knew they could never accept, while most brexiteers just wanted a free trade agreement (Similar to the canadian/japanese). And then at the same time the EU not helping by constantly blotting out eu propaganda about how the UK will collapse (Yet the economy is doing great) and the eu elite constantly bullying the british (we are meant to be allies but anyway): for example recently the "Scallop War", and also recently how we would be kicked of the Galileio project.

Either way our government has no backbone to go against them, but who else do we vote for - Labour, funny.
the only party that seems like they will actually go through with it is UKIP

what the UK could have done is basically stopped obeying some of the rules. What would the EU do then? Kick us out immediately (& lose the money we give them)? It's easier to have net beneficiaries playing by the rulebook because they're rewarded for doing so :wink:
Original post by hello_shawn
They can keep on denying what is essentially the ultimate goal of the EU: to make Europe a single country.

I have never really understood this sentiment. Yes, it is true that there are some people, perhaps even some countries in Europe that wanted this. But Europe isn't a thing. It is a club made up of 28 (soon to be 27) sovereign states. There is no way Europe will ever be one country. Never. So using this as an excuse to come out of Europe is rather pathetic to be honest.
Lol at the EU buttkissers denying there will ever be federation, what was Juncker planning in his speech a year ago? The UK fell for the folly as soon as it joined, just because its political masters wanted to give away its powers so that they can blame something above them for not delivering on election promises.
It's only a matter of time before every European country has the same currency, the same laws and their own united armed forces. Every commoner can see that it's happening.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by hello_shawn

It's only a matter of time before every European country has the same currency, the same laws and their own united armed forces. Every commoner can see that it's happening.

But it is not. Greece put pay to that.
It's laughable seeing the same old EU apologists here posting misinformation and drivel constantly. Utterly desperate. I absolutely will not be taken in by their deceptions.

The Euro is/was a disaster. The entire notion that one currency could ever fit for all EU countries was flawed from the outset but with bloodymindedness they pursued it to the detriment of many member states.

There are some brilliant YouTube clips of Nigel Farage berating Juncker and Co in the EP about the Euro disaster and the EU's continuing totalitarian nonsense.

Let's be absolutely clear on this specific topic.

The UK is signed up to the LISBON TREATY.

The clauses in that treaty mandate that member states MUST adopt the single currency. They also state that we must make our military available and support the EU agendas. It's all contractually underwritten in that Treaty just go and read it.

Therefore any existing "special treatment" we have in being able to retain the UK Pound is temporary and is something that FOR NOW they are happy to let us get away with. Ultimately however they WILL force the Euro on us when they deem the time is right and when the politicians and pundits are lined up in the UK to push it through.

BrExit HAS to happen and when it does we WILL make changes and establish new ways of working and existing as a sovereign country. We will all adapt, or become victims.

In the meantime what we have to do is recognise the massive PR machine that is busily trying to brainwash people at every opportunity to think of BrExit is a terribly bad thing. You just have to recognise the BS for what it is and ignore it.

We know BrExit will be hard, it WILL impact us all and there will be many unfortunate aspects but it is the fault of the EU that the situation exists at all. It IS time to leave the bad egg, put it behind us and start afresh.

Let's get it done.
Why the EU is desperate to make things difficult for the EU . . .

FrExit, GrExit, SwExit, ITaLeave, IrExit, CzExit, DExit, LithAWAYnia, PortuGO . . . . .
Good 'ol Boris... unwilling to admit he sold the nation a lame pup, he now tries to blame the vet desperately trying to keep it alive.
Original post by HappyBuddah
Brexit was never going to work, why do you think no one else has tried it? As far as negotiations go, the EU have fundamental principles that they have to uphold, the UK Government appears to have completely forgotten about them all which is why we're not getting anywhere. Blame the Tories, Farage et al, they have got us into this mess and they are intent on going ahead, despite the damage that it will do. Use your next votes wisely!

And yet Brexit saw huge support from Labour, Liberal Democrat and other voters. Only the Conservatives were listening to the populus...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending