The Student Room Group

Looking to move area and have a fresh start.

To give the quickest run down on my life. Working class family. I'm a 26 year old male.

Dont want to start a sob story but not many people know this about me. Bullied quite badly in school, always struggled in manintaining friendships, I am naturally quite free sprited and laid back person (which has made me a bit of a doormat)/would I say I have one long term friend (feel lucky for that these days). Basically failed school, ended up doing some crappy course at sixth form. Things picked up a bit was offered sixth form. Did an apprenticeship for nearly 2 years instead. Worst decision ever made, boss was a complete crook. Waste of time and energy, then my confidance at all time low. No real qualifications worth shouting about, no confidence, no anything. Always had a dream to start a business, so worked from home for about 4-5 years building it. Approx 2 years ago checked off a dream (might sounds silly) to get a co working desk in office space.

Things are 'ok' with the business. I had brexit to deal with at the start and then 2 years. Its not making me a great deal of personal money yet. Its roughly doing just under 50k turnover a year now. One postive its a fairly stable income as the majorty of work is monthly retainer based. I just invest the majorty back into it.

Living with parents, sadly their relationship failing for years. One of my family members hit mental health issues just before covid and coming out the other end now (which was emotional and stressful). Last year was quite rough with all my grandparents died expect 1 (one I was particularly close to).

I have just hit this point in life. All of my friends in relationships/moved out/moving on. I have lost the majority of my friends. I have been working on myself, being less of a doormat, travelled twice solo in Europe which I found libreating. Even though I am a working progress, feel like im growing as a person (as cliche as it sounds).

I accept where I am is down to me. I'm the only one who can change my situation. I'm basically giving myself a year from September to grow the business (will be making formal targets). Even though I would be gutted, if there not hitting them i'm basically going to wind it down or just stop taking new clients (most of the existing clientele is automated other than support). I would then problally try and find a web design job or have to return back to education (I would probably need to do an access course). I do want the whole family thing at some point but never been in a relationship. I have lived around here all my life and whatever happens in terms of work, in just over a year I want to set a date of moving to a new area for a fresh start. Even if thats house sharing.

I am 26 now so I really need to get things moving in my life. Has anyone else navigated something like this in their life? Really could do with some life advice. I'm a flawed person, but there is a lot I want to achieve in life.
Reply 1
Hi mate. I think you have a positive attitude - you have plans for your future and aren't afraid to try something new. Many people are happy to just plod along and regret it later in life, but you are still young enough to try something new. I am a firm believer that if you don't have a go then you will never know. Don't be afraid of change - embrace it. It sounds like you can run your business from anywhere, so if you want to move what is stopping you? Don't expect everything to change just because you move though - you do need to work to change things. Many people struggle to maintain friendships these days, as people move around more and we lose contact. Travelling, as you say, can be liberating, and is a great way of meeting like minded people. I don't think you are 'flawed', quite the opposite. You have plans that will take you on the next step in your journey. I'm sure that you'll make a success of wherever you go next.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending