The Student Room Group

is it recommended to do french as an A-level when you haven't done it for gcse?

im so stuck, i chose psychology for my a level and i've only had one lesson but i dont feel like its the right thing for me even though i did get A at sociology gcse and i think they're similar, but i still dont feel happy with psychology. i want to go into nursing so i've chosen health and social but now i want to change psychology to french even though i never took it as a gcse but i liked the subject from yr 7. this is confusing im sorry, but is french a useful a -level for nursing and should i take french as an a-level without having done the gcse?
i dont do a language a level, but my friend is and he said that they speak the language there 24/7, like literally teach in the language, ive heard languages are very hard so i dont think it would be wise if you havent done gcse. in your case though, languages are useful for alot of jobs, they wont care about an a level in french if you just replace it with "fluent in french", besides a level french will take alot of time, probably more than you need to be fluent for everyday use
Simple answer, it depends on if your school allows you to. Also, before taking it, do you speak French at home or are you fluent in it? If not, learning from scratch at A-level will definitely be a push and chances are you won't be able to do it. So unless you already have some sort of understanding of French i.e. can speak it, write it or understand it (one of the following at least), I wouldn't choose it.
Original post by laraibalidin
im so stuck, i chose psychology for my a level and i've only had one lesson but i dont feel like its the right thing for me even though i did get A at sociology gcse and i think they're similar, but i still dont feel happy with psychology. i want to go into nursing so i've chosen health and social but now i want to change psychology to french even though i never took it as a gcse but i liked the subject from yr 7. this is confusing im sorry, but is french a useful a -level for nursing and should i take french as an a-level without having done the gcse?

Unless you're fluent in French it is the hardest A-level, especially if you want above a C. Modern foreign leanguage at A level is the hardest subject due to the amount of time you have to dedicate. You need to have a solid knowledge of speaking, reading, listening and writing French. Considering you didn't do it at GCSE I wouldn't recommend. However, it is your choice! Good luck with whatever you pick.
Reply 4
Echoing the others, you need to have some proficiency in French already for sure
Reply 5
Don't do it.
I highly doubt any school would let you take french at A-level if you didn't receive at least a C at GCSE.
Learning french from scratch to an A-level standard would only be possible if you spent every day of the week learning french (even then your chances are low).
If you speak French fluently they'll let you take it regardless (We had a German student join A-levels and he was allowed to take German despite doing no GCSE in it).

Original post by OhSoLucky
Unless you're fluent in French it is the hardest A-level, especially if you want above a C. Modern foreign leanguage at A level is the hardest subject due to the amount of time you have to dedicate. You need to have a solid knowledge of speaking, reading, listening and writing French. Considering you didn't do it at GCSE I wouldn't recommend. However, it is your choice! Good luck with whatever you pick.

I wouldn't. At my school you weren't allowed to take a language for A-Level unless we had an A/A* in the GCSE. B's were considered but only in special circumstances. So take that into account of the work/knowledge needed
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Don't do it. If you're taking a subject at A-level you really need to enjoy the work. And that's not going to happen if you haven't taken lessons in it for 2-3 years.
I do a-level German. We speak German constantly, and although we did go over a bit of GCSE vocab and grammar at the start, you would really struggle to keep top I think :frown: I would 100% ask though, because if its a subject you enjoy and are willing to put a lot of extra effort in to, your school will be probably consider this. If you have any questions about an a-level language, feel free to message me xx
Is French useful for nursing? Should I take French A-level despite not having a GCSE in it?

I need to sit down
Original post by YaliaV
Is French useful for nursing? Should I take French A-level despite not having a GCSE in it?

I need to sit down

LMAO
i got an A in gcse and did it for a month in year 12 after dropping it lolz i had no idea what was going on in lessons
My sixth form lets people do languages from scratch and they all manage to do fine (As and Bs). You'll have to put a lot of extra effort in but I'd say it's doable :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
thank you :smile:
Original post by lucieol
My sixth form lets people do languages from scratch and they all manage to do fine (As and Bs). You'll have to put a lot of extra effort in but I'd say it's doable :smile:

that would be quite a lot of headaches wouldnt it?
NO, if you are starting to learn A level french from scratch then it's a big no no because you WILL find it EXTREMELY hard to learn french to A level standard. The questions, spec everything will be in french no joke, hence why is very hard if you don't speak the language. Unless you speak it or are very keen into learning french (Like watching french films etc..) don't pick it.

A level French is definitely not "the hardest A level". It's probably one of the Sciences or Maths
Original post by Huckipity
A level French is definitely not "the hardest A level". It's probably one of the Sciences or Maths

"Unless you're fluent (know it well enough from GCSE)"
"Unless you're fluent (know it well enough from GCSE)"

Doing GCSE French does not bring you even close to being fluent. Same with A level French. GCSE is basically the same as being a complete beginner and A level is low-intermediate.

If you complete a degree at university in French (or, foreign languages in general), then you might become highly proficient / fluent, but anything before that is basically child's play.

Quick Reply

Latest