The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Want to do economics at UCL. Do I stand a chance?

My GCSE grades were pretty average. I didn’t try for anything to say the least as I wasn’t in the right frame of mind at the time. 3 A*s, 5 A’s and 3 B’s. I’ve decided I’m really interested in doing economics and especially in UCL as I’ve always loved that university. I’m taking maths biology and chemistry for a level and I’m predicted A*AA. Due to my poor results at GCSE I’m fearful. Do I stand a chance?
Your GCSE's will not be holding you back. UCL states for economics that:

"English Language and Mathematics at grade C or 5. For UK-based students, a grade C or 5 or equivalent in a foreign language (other than Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew or Latin) is required. UCL provides opportunities to meet the foreign language requirement following enrolment, further details at: www.ucl.ac.uk/ug-reqs "

You have nothing lower than a B so that's great. Your predicted grades are enough. All you need to do now to get into UCL is work hard and get that A* in maths and 2 A's in your other subjects.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Good Luck Janet :smile:
Original post by janetjay
My GCSE grades were pretty average. I didn’t try for anything to say the least as I wasn’t in the right frame of mind at the time. 3 A*s, 5 A’s and 3 B’s. I’ve decided I’m really interested in doing economics and especially in UCL as I’ve always loved that university. I’m taking maths biology and chemistry for a level and I’m predicted A*AA. Due to my poor results at GCSE I’m fearful. Do I stand a chance?

funnily enough it's not your GCSE which will harm you (they're not bad actually) but your A level choices. you should have done further maths and an essay subject, although i suppose Biology is a semi-essay subject
Original post by CollectiveSoul
funnily enough it's not your GCSE which will harm you (they're not bad actually) but your A level choices. you should have done further maths and an essay subject, although i suppose Biology is a semi-essay subject

Economics doesnt require doing further maths, unless she wants to do something like 'Economics and Mathematics". Doing normal maths is just fine. Doing an essay subject would probably help once she is at uni, but essay writing skills are easily picked up imo.
Original post by yoink
Economics doesnt require doing further maths, unless she wants to do something like 'Economics and Mathematics". Doing normal maths is just fine. Doing an essay subject would probably help once she is at uni, but essay writing skills are easily picked up imo.

no a) further maths b) economics c) essay subject

not good
Original post by CollectiveSoul
no a) further maths b) economics c) essay subject

not good

Im doing mathematics and economics at york. I get its not on par with UCL, but from what I have seen is that economics is not essential, its almost undesirable because some kids come in there and have their pre-existing knowledge challenged. I did an essay subject at A-Level, it also doesn't help with sh*t ngl. Doing further maths is very ideal tho, although I think that may only be because im doing economics and maths. If I didn't do a joint honours with maths I suspect the maths to be pretty standard, not further maths level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending