The Student Room Group

I need maths

Okay so, ill start with a little recap.
I had completely given up on my GCSE's, I only started revising after my mocks in April, so I wasn't expecting much from my results. I got a passing grade for everything in my mocks, 4 for maths specifically. But in the last two months right before the exam, Ii study my ass off and I managed to scrape a Grade 6, going up two whole grades in less than 2 months. And a 6 was enough to do maths as an A level.
I'm now taking A level maths, Psychology and Computer Science.
But I'm starting lose interest in maths, I'm not understanding the processes taken to solve a question, and I'm starting to feel like I did before my GCSE's.
I've been told that A levels are **** tons harder than GCSE's but to get into the uni course I want to do, which is Computer Science, I need A level Maths for the majority of Universities. Is there any tips, or advice you can give me?
Original post by cryssan
I had completely given up on my GCSE's, I only started revising after my mocks in April, so I wasn't expecting much from my results. I got a passing grade for everything in my mocks, 4 for maths specifically. But in the last two months right before the exam, Ii study my ass off and I managed to scrape a Grade 6, going up two whole grades in less than 2 months. And a 6 was enough to do maths as an A level.
But I'm starting lose interest in maths, I'm not understanding the processes taken to solve a question, and I'm starting to feel like I did before my GCSE's.
I've been told that A levels are **** tons harder than GCSE's but to get into the uni course I want to do, which is Computer Science, I need A level Maths for the majority of Universities. Is there any tips, or advice you can give me?

Try to stick with A Level maths - seek help from your teacher or your classmates about the areas you are struggling with. It can be really beneficial to have as an A Level, particularly as many of the courses you are looking at require you to have this.
Original post by cryssan

Getting from a 4 to a 6 with two months of effort is a great achievement but to put that in context a 6 could be achieved while getting more than half of the papers wrong! It is likely that many of the topics you couldn't do in your GCSE exam are the very ones you need to do well in A level. Assuming you have the potential to do well in maths then the only tip I can offer is hard work. Do what you did in those months before your exams times 5. The examsolutions.net web site has videos you can use to explain topics that you need more help with, your text book has tonnes of questions you can practice with.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
Getting from a 4 to a 6 with two months of effort is a great achievement

It is and it wasnt very easy, luckily i had a very supportive teacher who helped me with my endless questions XD

6 could be achieved while getting more than half of the papers wrong! It is likely that many of the topics you couldn't do in your GCSE exam are the very ones you need to do well in A level.

You are not wrong, i got 112 points in total, which really isnt very much, and the topics i didnt understand in GCSE have come to haunt me in A levels.

The examsolutions.net web site has videos you can use to explain topics that you need more help with, your text book has tonnes of questions you can practice with.

Thank you very much for that link, i will be using it religiously.
Reply 4
Original post by cheesecakelove
Try to stick with A Level maths

Yeah i think i will be, because i do not want to risk not getting in to the unis im looking at, i would rather give maths a go
For help with questions, use the maths forum on TSR. You'll find lots of helpful people there who will show you how to improve. Always try the questions yourself and show what you have tried, the best contributors there don't want to do your work for you but would rather help you understand how to do it yourself.
Some Top unis don't even require comp science they want a strong grade in A level maths specifically.Obvoiusly that doesn't mean don't focus on comp science but do give maths importance. I know it's daunting and annoying to look at gcse stuff once you're in a level but looking back on stuff you were weaker at and practicing those topics might help out. If you did gcse edexcel maths use result plus to see where you went wrong so you aren't wasting time and only focus on specific topics rather than everything. Also I would recommend physics and maths tutor Solomon worksheets (they're for edexcel but generally most a levels cover the same stuff) they usually go up in difficulty starting on very easy questions.

Quick Reply

Latest