The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Apllied for a place in clearing at MMU

I applied for a clearing place on computing foundation course is it too late??
If they're still advertising spaces, it's not too late.

Have you spoken to someone over the phone? What did they say?
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
If they're still advertising spaces, it's not too late.

Have you spoken to someone over the phone? What did they say?

yes i have spoken to them i originally applied for computer networks, however i have not got a c in maths. They also declined me for clearing seems i cant get any course without a c in maths.
Original post by Adoring Fan
yes i have spoken to them i originally applied for computer networks, however i have not got a c in maths. They also declined me for clearing seems i cant get any course without a c in maths.

Not having a C in maths will be a real barrier especially in computing. Unfortunately, I can see why they'd reject you in this situation.

Are you able to take a year out and redo your Maths GCSE?
Reply 4
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Not having a C in maths will be a real barrier especially in computing. Unfortunately, I can see why they'd reject you in this situation.

Are you able to take a year out and redo your Maths GCSE?

I am able to retake my maths GCSE at a collage. However i am worried that i still may not get onto the course computer networks next year, as I came out with the grade MMM exteded diploma. The required grade is a DMM. So im wondering how big a factor this is and is it worth bothering applying next year even if i have passed my maths GCSE.

Thanks.
I am able to retake my maths GCSE at a collage. However i am worried that i still may not get onto the course computer networks next year, as I came out with the grade MMM exteded diploma. The required grade is a DMM. So im wondering how big a factor this is and is it worth bothering applying next year even if i have passed my maths GCSE.

Thanks.

Not having a Maths GCSE is likely to be much more of a barrier than dropping a grade in your BTEC. With those BTEC grades, even if you can't get a place at one particular uni. The lack of a Maths GCSE will be a major barrier for nearly all universities.

Thanks.

To be considered for Year 1 of our Computer Network and Technology we usually look for DMM from a BTEC Extended Diploma. It is unlikely you will be considered with MMM.

You may therefore want to consider one of our Foundation Years. Unfortunately we do not offer a Foundation Year in Computer Networks, however we do offer them in similar subjects such as Computer Science, and Computer Forensic and Security. With MMM in a BTEC Extended Diploma you would be eligible to apply for a Foundation Year, providing you meet the GCSE requirements.

I hope this helps.

Rebecca

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending