The Student Room Group

EPQ help

Does anyone have any EPQ ideas about genetics/genomics?
It's something more you have to think of yourself but some starter topics:

Epigentics
Crispr - I did my EPQ on this
Bioinformatics

The list could go on, just find something that interests you and research something within that topic
Reply 2
Original post by ComicalUsername
It's something more you have to think of yourself but some starter topics:

Epigentics
Crispr - I did my EPQ on this
Bioinformatics

The list could go on, just find something that interests you and research something within that topic

I had thought about CRISPR and epigenetics, but not about bioinformatics, that sounds really interesting. What was the title of your essay about CRISPR? Was it more based on the science, or more about the legal/ethical issues surrounding the topic?

Many thanks
Mine was on using CRISPR to treat genetically inherited diseases. The whole thing was very science based and I spent a lot of time reading through research papers in google scholar so for sciences, you have to be prepared to do the research (you probably know already know this) and a lot of articles are behind paywalls so patience is needed :^_^:
Reply 4
That sounds fascinating. Would you be able to share your essay with me or even just a section of the introduction or something? I would understand if not, but I am just trying to sort of understand how to structure a scientific-based EPQ essay and whether the workload would be too overwhelming for me. I am still uncertain as to whether I will do my EPQ about genetics/biology as I have a few good ideas so far but I just don't know if I should opt for something different. I was researching the use of CRISPR, I drafted a few questions about the topic and I wanted to do a balance between the legal/ethical considerations as well as the sort of hardcore science behind it, and I would like to get a look at what doing something around the topic is like. Thanks for taking the time to reply anyway, I really appreciate it.
I can't really send you anything as it hasn't been submitted yet, but once it has I gave no problems sending it out. It took my something like 2 months (March to May) to do mine, but it was a little last minute and I heavily procrastinated. It's roughly 5010 words with no titles, appendix and bibliography. I am not an EPQ supervisor, and I suggest you ask your supervisor all of these questions as it goes towards your mark for planning, so I cannot properly comment but I would say that do whatever interests you and make sure there is a already enough research readily available for you to look into and analyse.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me though :cute:

This is also an example of a good biology based EPQ:
https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/356391-unit-h856-exemplar-folder-7-56-60.pdf

Spoiler

Original post by ComicalUsername
I can't really send you anything as it hasn't been submitted yet, but once it has I gave no problems sending it out. It took my something like 2 months (March to May) to do mine, but it was a little last minute and I heavily procrastinated. It's roughly 5010 words with no titles, appendix and bibliography. I am not an EPQ supervisor, and I suggest you ask your supervisor all of these questions as it goes towards your mark for planning, so I cannot properly comment but I would say that do whatever interests you and make sure there is a already enough research readily available for you to look into and analyse.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me though :cute:

This is also an example of a good biology based EPQ:
https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/356391-unit-h856-exemplar-folder-7-56-60.pdf

Spoiler

Hi, what was the title for your EPQ?
Thanks

Original post by iceman122222
Hi, what was the title for your EPQ?
Thanks

" Could CRISPR be used as a treatment for alpha thalassemia in the next 50 years? "

(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending