The Student Room Group

First Car? Insurance and Tax!!! RANT LOL

How frustating is buying a car? You have so many things to think about: how much is the insurance, how much for the tax and what type of car you should get. I personally just need a car to get me to work and other places, mostly because of the incoming cold weather. I passed my test 2 months ago, wasn't even going to buy a car but told myself, why not? But then again, I want to go for a small cheap to run type of car as I am still inexperienced. While saving for my "dream" car so Once I am better at driving I can upgrade. How much did you pay for your first car? Was your insurance ok? What did you use your car for (e.g. work)? Was it cheap to maintain? DId you buy a new, on finance, spare or repair car?

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

Check Endsleigh - they do student car insurance with significant discounts
If that doesn't work for you, try searching:
confused.com
gocompare.com
www.moneysupermarket.com

Bigger discussion on finding cheap car insurance here
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Adezo
How frustating is buying a car? You have so many things to think about: how much is the insurance, how much for the tax and what type of car you should get.

It's all part of good research when buying a car.
Reply 2
Original post by RoyalSheepy
It's all part of good research when buying a car.

Totally agree, I have been researching like crazy for days but hopefully will find the right one :smile:
Original post by Adezo
Totally agree, I have been researching like crazy for days but hopefully will find the right one :smile:

All pays off in the end! Any specific cars you've been looking at?
Reply 4
Original post by RoyalSheepy
All pays off in the end! Any specific cars you've been looking at?

That's true, might as well just pick one that's reliable lol. Citroen C1, Ford ka, CORSA and Golf. The first two are good with insurance and tax but the other two are just a lil bit higher but still ok. I am looking at insurance+tax so I can have a rough idea of how much I will have to spend. As I am not planning to keep the car for more than a year :smile:
My dad's a mechanic so he advised me to buy a japanese hatchback because they're the cheapest to maintain and have less common faults. I've ended up getting a Honda Jazz 1.4L after about 10 days of choosing and the insurance choices are so frustrating.
Reply 6
Original post by helpicantgetup
My dad's a mechanic so he advised me to buy a japanese hatchback because they're the cheapest to maintain and have less common faults. I've ended up getting a Honda Jazz 1.4L after about 10 days of choosing and the insurance choices are so frustrating.

Agree! I wanted to get the same but not a lot in my area and can't really look outside my area as it would be difficult to get the car here. The insurance is frustating as hell, like you can check the insurance for a car of the same model or with a small engine size and still get quotes that make no sense. I would understand if the engine size wasn't small but, will keep searching. Hopefully
Original post by Adezo
Agree! I wanted to get the same but not a lot in my area and can't really look outside my area as it would be difficult to get the car here. The insurance is frustating as hell, like you can check the insurance for a car of the same model or with a small engine size and still get quotes that make no sense. I would understand if the engine size wasn't small but, will keep searching. Hopefully

Absolutely! My insurance prices aren't making sense either, how is there half a grand of difference between the first policy and the next. I'm glad you know what you're looking for though.
Reply 8
Original post by helpicantgetup
Absolutely! My insurance prices aren't making sense either, how is there half a grand of difference between the first policy and the next. I'm glad you know what you're looking for though.

You see, it's so frustating! But I want to drive so bad lol
I have a Skoda Fabia, which is 18 years old. I didn’t buy it, it used to be my nans so I’m not sure if it’s a good choice to buy.
It is a good, reliable car though and I’ve found I am becoming a better driver because I can’t rely on the perks newer cars have such as hill start assist, parking sensors etc.

Also, having an older car means if I accidentally scratch it I don’t really care!

The insurance is also lower. The car is a 1.4 so it is reasonably powerful but being old and not worth very much lowered my insurance significantly, compared to my partners car which is 2012 or something.

I’m paying about 1k for insurance (😭) , £150 for tax. You also have expenses such as fuel and little things like oil, wiper fluid, basic maintenance stuff to think about :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Maryelizabeth21
I have a Skoda Fabia, which is 18 years old. I didn’t buy it, it used to be my nans so I’m not sure if it’s a good choice to buy.
It is a good, reliable car though and I’ve found I am becoming a better driver because I can’t rely on the perks newer cars have such as hill start assist, parking sensors etc.

Also, having an older car means if I accidentally scratch it I don’t really care!

The insurance is also lower. The car is a 1.4 so it is reasonably powerful but being old and not worth very much lowered my insurance significantly, compared to my partners car which is 2012 or something.

I’m paying about 1k for insurance (😭) , £150 for tax. You also have expenses such as fuel and little things like oil, wiper fluid, basic maintenance stuff to think about :smile:

So LUCKY!! I want an older car too so that I can learn how to be a better driver and even if I scratch it, I won't mind. Then maybe upgrade lol
Wasn't really relevant to me, if you're penny counting and trying to save and want the very basic yes, but I knew what I was getting, first year's tax and most of my first years insurance was free. Driving your first car is by far more frustrating and stressful than actually getting on the road because for 24 months you are on extremely thin ice. Both in terms of your license and your insurance.
Reply 12
Original post by nevershear
Wasn't really relevant to me, if you're penny counting and trying to save and want the very basic yes, but I knew what I was getting, first year's tax and most of my first years insurance was free. Driving your first car is by far more frustrating and stressful than actually getting on the road because for 24 months you are on extremely thin ice. Both in terms of your license and your insurance.

That's true! Like being on probation lol. How did you get your tax and insurance for free if I may ask? :smile:
Dealer has to pay first years tax when registering the car as it's a new car.

Insurance covered by dealer's broker, well partially as my postcode sucks. Gave me like 1500 quid cash.
Reply 14
Original post by nevershear
Dealer has to pay first years tax when registering the car as it's a new car.

Insurance covered by dealer's broker, well partially as my postcode sucks. Gave me like 1500 quid cash.

wow, nice!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending