The Student Room Group

I hate this masters degree - pls halp

Hello fellow students/ex-students,

Back when I graduated with a First at Newcastle University, I didn't know what to do with my life. I knew facing the real world was going to be scary, therefore I applied for masters (biggest mistake ever).

After working hard for 3 years non-stop during undergrad, i am COMPLETELY burnt out! I cannot do anymore essays, or presentations or sh*tty group work! Looking at my grades for semester 1, you wouldn't expect someone with a first class to achieve such terrible grades. But that's only because i am not enjoying the course AT ALL and i am mentally exhausted.

Im almost half way through semester 2, but im at the point now where i just want to get a job and work. Im really considering dropping out, but that would be a waste of time and money, so i dont know what to do :frown: I am also worried that employers might be a bit skeptical if they see i have a First for undergrad, but only a pass for Masters. On the bright side, i do have almost 3 years of marketing experience and i plan on gaining more experience this year.

All advice is appreciated. If anyone has been in a similar situation, please tell me your experience and what you did to overcome that.

Cheers
Original post by BowlOfCocoPops

Back when I graduated with a First at Newcastle University, I didn't know what to do with my life. I knew facing the real world was going to be scary, therefore I applied for masters (biggest mistake ever).

After working hard for 3 years non-stop during undergrad, i am COMPLETELY burnt out! I cannot do anymore essays, or presentations or sh*tty group work! Looking at my grades for semester 1, you wouldn't expect someone with a first class to achieve such terrible grades. But that's only because i am not enjoying the course AT ALL and i am mentally exhausted.

Im almost half way through semester 2, but im at the point now where i just want to get a job and work. Im really considering dropping out, but that would be a waste of time and money, so i dont know what to do :frown: I am also worried that employers might be a bit skeptical if they see i have a First for undergrad, but only a pass for Masters. On the bright side, i do have almost 3 years of marketing experience and i plan on gaining more experience this year.

All advice is appreciated. If anyone has been in a similar situation, please tell me your experience and what you did to overcome that.

Cheers

You have started this course so you may as well finish it and finish it well. Take some time away from your work to do things you enjoy, make friends and maybe try something new. Work out why you enjoyed this field and find ways to motivate yourself.
You're about six months from the end - stick with it. There'll be plenty of time for work once it's over. Take a short break, have a holiday, put your feet up for a few days and come back refreshed.

Most employers won't know or care about results at postgrad. Some unis only award passes anyway. Don't get hung up on the whole 'I got a first at undergrad' thing.

Relax, take a breath, remember why you wanted to do this course in the first place, and think about how good you'll feel once it's all over. You can do this.
Did you stay at Newcastle or go elsewhere?
First, you need to breathe and take a step back. Communicate with people who can help you such as your personal tutor.

Very few situations are going to care about masters grades so there's no point in mentally punishing yourself for not achieving grades worthy of somebody with a first class degree because that's nonsense. A masters is a step up, that's kinda the point. You essentially have three choices - finish it off and make the best of the situation, or throw it away (and possibly lose funding access) and get stuck trying to find something new to do, or see if you can swap to part-time and finish it alongside working. It might break up that master's monotony that sets in around this point.

However, if it's at the point where it is causing too much stress or you're feeling unwell because of it then you really need to consider whether it's worth continuing for the sake of your health and sanity. You are definitely not alone in how you're feeling! Reach out and talk to other postgrad students.
Original post by alleycat393
You have started this course so you may as well finish it and finish it well. Take some time away from your work to do things you enjoy, make friends and maybe try something new. Work out why you enjoyed this field and find ways to motivate yourself.

Thanks for your reply i really appreciate it. i did not give up! And happily achieved a Merit overall. :smile:
Original post by Duncan2012
You're about six months from the end - stick with it. There'll be plenty of time for work once it's over. Take a short break, have a holiday, put your feet up for a few days and come back refreshed.

Most employers won't know or care about results at postgrad. Some unis only award passes anyway. Don't get hung up on the whole 'I got a first at undergrad' thing.

Relax, take a breath, remember why you wanted to do this course in the first place, and think about how good you'll feel once it's all over. You can do this.

Thanks Duncan. I stuck with it in the end! Was just going through hell and i didnt think it was possible to overcome it xD I really appreciate your words of encouragement. I got a Merit overall for my masters :smile:
Thanks for your reply i really appreciate it. i did not give up! And happily achieved a Merit overall. :smile:

Well done! And thanks for the update :smile:
Original post by ParadoxSocks
First, you need to breathe and take a step back. Communicate with people who can help you such as your personal tutor.

Very few situations are going to care about masters grades so there's no point in mentally punishing yourself for not achieving grades worthy of somebody with a first class degree because that's nonsense. A masters is a step up, that's kinda the point. You essentially have three choices - finish it off and make the best of the situation, or throw it away (and possibly lose funding access) and get stuck trying to find something new to do, or see if you can swap to part-time and finish it alongside working. It might break up that master's monotony that sets in around this point.

However, if it's at the point where it is causing too much stress or you're feeling unwell because of it then you really need to consider whether it's worth continuing for the sake of your health and sanity. You are definitely not alone in how you're feeling! Reach out and talk to other postgrad students.

Thank you honestly. When i think back, i think i was over exaggerating a little bit. Overall i did enjoy the course.. it wasnt that bad, and it helped A LOT! And i cant wait for a career in that field. I have now completed my masters with a Merit :smile:
Thanks Duncan. I stuck with it in the end! Was just going through hell and i didnt think it was possible to overcome it xD I really appreciate your words of encouragement. I got a Merit overall for my masters :smile:

Congratulations! Well done for sticking with it. Sometimes people just need a little push in the right direction. Good luck with whatever comes next...

Good to know that you stuck at it to the the end. At least you can tell a story to others, a story with a happy ending.
Best of luck in your future plans.
Thank you honestly. When i think back, i think i was over exaggerating a little bit. Overall i did enjoy the course.. it wasnt that bad, and it helped A LOT! And i cant wait for a career in that field. I have now completed my masters with a Merit :smile:

I think we all over exaggerate in the moment. Well done for sticking with it! What are you planning on doing now it's finished?
Reply 12
Hello I also had similar problem but now I can be able to balance between job and studies plus family with no stress. Please let me know if you did not get solution so that I can share with you my experience.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I think we all over exaggerate in the moment. Well done for sticking with it! What are you planning on doing now it's finished?

Thank you :smile: Now that uni is all done and dusted, i'm working part time just to get a bit of finacial support. Im also a volunteer for a charity that helps the homeless. But I plan on having a career in Digital Marketing. So i've been searching and applying for entry-level jobs in my field. Had 7 interviews so far. Did get positive feedback on 3, but still unsuccessful at the moment. Honestly.. it is hard and mentally draining, but im not giving up until i secure a digital marketing job! xD

Cheers

I wanna know if you stuck with it because I have 6 weeks left and I was done when I started last year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending