The Student Room Group

Failed my driving test 3 times.

Hi,

I started learning to drive in February 2018. In total, I had about 70 hours of professional and private practice. I took and failed 2 tests in May 2018, the third one I failed last week. I had one serious in each and a few minors. I know I still need to practice to get more experience. Is it normal not to pass 3 times? I'm so worried I will never be able to pass. Is there someone else out there who had multiple attempts until they finally passed?
Izzy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by IzzyPom
Hi,

I started learning to drive in February 2018. In total, I had about 70 hours of professional and private practice. I took and failed 2 tests in May 2018, the third one I failed last week. I had one serious in each and a few minors. I know I still need to practice to get more experience. Is it normal not to pass 3 times? I'm so worried I will never be able to pass. Is there someone else out there who had multiple attempts until they finally passed?
Izzy

I've had like 100+ hours of practice and i'm still not even ready to take the test so there is worse :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by User...
I've had like 100+ hours of practice and i'm still not even ready to take the test so there is worse :wink:

Yeah, I probably need more practice too ... it's just annoying because people around me can drive and I'm just stuck. Every time I go for a test and I hear 'I'm sorry you failed' sentence takes my confidence away. I'll guess I have a break from tests now and will focus on driving. Good luck to you xxx
Reply 3
Original post by IzzyPom
Yeah, I probably need more practice too ... it's just annoying because people around me can drive and I'm just stuck. Every time I go for a test and I hear 'I'm sorry you failed' sentence takes my confidence away. I'll guess I have a break from tests now and will focus on driving. Good luck to you xxx

Thanks good luck too
Reply 4
I passed on my 4th attempt - had two examiners and one of them was a complete d*ckhead whilst the other one (who passed me) was nice
Reply 5
Original post by Mahel
I passed on my 4th attempt - had two examiners and one of them was a complete d*ckhead whilst the other one (who passed me) was nice

Well done and congratulations, you must feel so relieved now. I'm hoping I can pass within 10 attempts lol.
Reply 6
Original post by IzzyPom
Well done and congratulations, you must feel so relieved now. I'm hoping I can pass within 10 attempts lol.

when each test cost me like £110 (£56 for 2 hour lesson to use a car and £60ish for the test), you bet i was relieved

had my licence for 1 1/2 years now
Reply 7
I have two friends, one passed on attempt #5 and one on attempt #6.

It is possible when you fight on! I'm so sorry that its so sucky though. The best of luck to you.
Reply 8
Original post by Ifechi
I have two friends, one passed on attempt #5 and one on attempt #6.

It is possible when you fight on! I'm so sorry that its so sucky though. The best of luck to you.

thank you xxx
I failed my driving test three times too and passed on the fourth time. I found that the reason I failed my first three times is because I took the test in my driving instructor’s car, which had additional brakes for the passenger seat. Because it is a guaranteed fail if the examiner touches the brakes, by having the brakes there makes it tempting for them to just slam the breaks unnecessarily, and for the most trivial reasons as well. Take the driving test in your own car/your parents’ car without the brakes and you will pass.
People learn at different rates I had the "average" number of hours of professional lessons at about 45 hours I think, I passed first time. However I did do a lot of driving independently with my parents near the end. To begin with I just did 1 lesson a week which was 2 hours. I then started driving with my parents and would get practise driving into sixth form. The week before my test I went out every over night with my parents and we drove around the test area. I hated it so much and my parents were convinced I would fail. On the day I got lucky and had a new examiner who didn't know where we were going, so overlooked a few minor mistakes I made and barely paid attention when I freaked out during my parallel park. Don't worry one of my friends started back in August and does 1 hour a week and she is yet to even attempt a test.
Reply 11
Original post by ThorOdinson18
I failed my driving test three times too and passed on the fourth time. I found that the reason I failed my first three times is because I took the test in my driving instructor’s car, which had additional brakes for the passenger seat. Because it is a guaranteed fail if the examiner touches the brakes, by having the brakes there makes it tempting for them to just slam the breaks unnecessarily, and for the most trivial reasons as well. Take the driving test in your own car/your parents’ car without the brakes and you will pass.

Spoiler

Reply 12
Original post by OwlOfFire
People learn at different rates I had the "average" number of hours of professional lessons at about 45 hours I think, I passed first time. However I did do a lot of driving independently with my parents near the end. To begin with I just did 1 lesson a week which was 2 hours. I then started driving with my parents and would get practise driving into sixth form. The week before my test I went out every over night with my parents and we drove around the test area. I hated it so much and my parents were convinced I would fail. On the day I got lucky and had a new examiner who didn't know where we were going, so overlooked a few minor mistakes I made and barely paid attention when I freaked out during my parallel park. Don't worry one of my friends started back in August and does 1 hour a week and she is yet to even attempt a test.[/Q

good luck to your friend x
Reply 13
You'll continue failing until test examiner finds you behaving like a robot. UK DVSA wants british drivers to convert into robots so that introducing driverless cars become a hot selling cake.
Original post by AAKAA
You'll continue failing until test examiner finds you behaving like a robot. UK DVSA wants british drivers to convert into robots so that introducing driverless cars become a hot selling cake.

wtf lmao

OP, I failed twice but the way I see it, the more times I fail, the safer i'll be on the roads later one
Reply 15
Original post by Secretnerd123
wtf lmao

OP, I failed twice but the way I see it, the more times I fail, the safer i'll be on the roads later one

It's beyond my comprehension that one become a safe driver after taking few more driving lessons and become a bad driver after safely driving for 5 or 10 years without becoming a robot. Testing is simply a business for DVSA and innocent Britishers are being taken for a ride by DVSA fanatic.
I know I’m very late to this thread but I failed my first test in November and have my second one on Monday - I failed the first because of 1 serious and 2 minors - as I drove in a bus lane :frown: and I feel like I’m gonna fail again for something stupid. I just really don’t want to fail again I was devastated when I did the first time because I came sooooo close
It can just be luck. I have failed twice now, and both times were things that were (sort of) out of my control. Eventually you will get it don't worry! It sounds like you're basically there, maybe just book another test and give it another shot. Good luck!
Original post by ironchicken
It can just be luck. I have failed twice now, and both times were things that were (sort of) out of my control. Eventually you will get it don't worry! It sounds like you're basically there, maybe just book another test and give it another shot. Good luck!

Think your self lucky lol. My useless brother in law has failed his theory test over 6 times. I posted a few months about that on here and yet again last week he has failed. Talk about embarrassing lol.
Hi I took my driving test 3 times and failed I am so devastated I could have pass the second time but she failed me that I didnt looked before moving off which was not true because my instructor was in the car with me and we argued with her about it but she failed me I am taking my fourth attempt tomorrow and i just don't know what am feeling now about it.

Latest

Trending

Trending