The Student Room Group

Michelle's Journey to University

gyg.jpg
A Little Introduction:
Hey, I'm Michelle and I'm entering this whole GYG thing late to the game. I tried it last year but I was in an odd place all of last year, but I'm trying it again to keep me focused! I want to write this to keep me on board with my studies, but also as a bit of an outlet - as well as my school work I'm going to list out my favourite song since the last time I posted, the best thing that has happened and the worst. Hopefully that'll keep it interesting and give me an outlet for my stress! But just to let you know, I stress like there is no tomorrow, so you'll be bombarded with everything at once!

On to my GCSEs:
I did my GCSEs all at the end of Year 11 at the school I'm still at. My teachers predicted me better, but I thought I was going to get all Bs! In hindsight I could have done a lot better because I was stressing about having virtually no friends at the time, but I did far better than I thought I was going to do:

Spoiler

Now for AS Year:
I thought this year was going to go a bit better, but nope! Sadly this year was a year of change, and I had a dramatic breaking up with my boyfriend and a shift to hanging out with only girls. I have 3 super close friends from this, but the rest of the year... lets just say don't like me :angry:. The school recognised it as bullying and it effected grades and that. Sadly, my Chemistry AS took a turn from this... which we don't talk about...

However, good news!! I was top of my year in both RS and Geography, and tied top in French (there are only two of us who do French though).

And now for the big, grand, final year:
I'm going into Year 13 with predictions of 3 As (realistically it should be A*AA at least but I can't be bothered arguing). I sent off my UCAS on the 8th of October and I'm fairly positive about it. The A levels I'm doing are:

AQA A Level French
AQA A Level Geography
OCR A Level Religious Studies

University Choices:
I sent off my UCAS on the 8th of October and I'll continue to update when I receive offers/my thoughts on them!

Spoiler

Important Dates:A list of dates which terrify me - including my birthday and results day!!

Spoiler

Key Updates:
I will attatch key updates below!

Spoiler

That should be it for now! I'm going to put seperate posts below about each of my subjects and what modules I'm doing and all that jazz. Tell me if you want to be tagged in future updates and ask me any questions about absolutely anything - I love talking!

Bye for now!! :biggrin::biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
geo.jpg
This is my favourite subject (obviously). I'm predicted an A but mostly because I have a new teacher who doesn't know me. Last year I got average 90% so I'm hoping to get an A*! The modules I'm doing are:

Water and Carbon Cycle
Coasts
Hazards
Global Systems and Governance
Changing Places
Urbanisation

My NEA is on Urban Resurgence in Liverpool City Centre. At the moment I think I'm doing well in the subject, but I have an exam when I go back to school so we will see how that's going!
The numbers at the end of your username made me think that you had created this thread 7 years or so in advance.
best of luck:hugs:
can i be tagged?
rs.jpg
I'm doing RS A level. It's going alright and I think I should be able to get an A. As a private, Catholic school girl I am doing DCT rather than the other options (I have no clue what the other ones are though, I'll be honest).

I hate ethics. DCT and Philosophy is alright, but probably because I prefer the teacher doing them - I'll tell you how I get on!
french.jpg
The most difficult of my A levels - French! Only me and my friend take French so it's really fun but my God it stresses me out!! I'm predicted an A, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get this. All my family have taken French A level so I have something to live up to. Also, it helps that my sister lives in Paris!

My research project is on Quebec and it's French Identity in the 1970s, which I'm hoping will go down well. I'm doing the research for this at the moment so I'll give you updates on how that goes.
Reply 6
Good luck for this year! :rave:
Congrats on your offers! :woo: (Hope the Nottingham one comes soon)
And please tag me if you've got a tag list! :wink:
Original post by Jackudy3
The numbers at the end of your username made me think that you had created this thread 7 years or so in advance.

Hahah God I'm really not that prepared at all. The 08 is because I was born on the 8th of August (08/08) so I take it as my lucky number.

Original post by Toastiekid
best of luck:hugs:
can i be tagged?

Thank you!! And of course you can be!

Original post by nyxnko_
Good luck for this year! :rave:
Congrats on your offers! :woo: (Hope the Nottingham one comes soon)
And please tag me if you've got a tag list! :wink:

Thank you!! I hope the offer comes soon too, ends the waiting - at the same time I'm not waiting on it!
I'll definitely add you!
rs.jpg

FIRST POST!? First post indeed.

School Work! How's it getting on:

Obviously I have only recently started this blog, but it's going well. I had 2 essays, 4 pages of French work, 1 lot of coursework and lots of revision to do over half term and I've mostly completed it. I've done 1 essay, most of my French work and the coursework. The revision has come along well, but I won't be satisfied with it till I fill my book on globalisation...

To explain, I rewrite all my notes and case studies into one book for Geography; I've done all the Urban stuff so far, but now I'm onto Global stuff! We have an exam when I get back, and I want to maintain me being the top of the year so I have to try and work towards that (it's fine if I'm not, it's just I'm competitive so it's the best way to work for me!). Part of this is also filling my room with posters, so I have started my Geography Poster Wardrobes, which I had from GCSE (I'll put photos in weeks to come!).

My coursework was on my French presentation. It's actually really interesting to research! If anybody knows anything about Quebec in the 1970s, do message me - it's actually a super interesting topic. I didn't actually know about the terrorist stuff before I began to research it, but it's been the highlight of my research.

I felt I had to do a post to get me started, so sorry if this feels a bit bland!! If anybody has questions to ask please do - it might spice up our time for now.

Best thing to happen since I last posted...

Probably that I made me halloween costume. I'm going to a school party tomorrow, which is difficult for me because I really don't like a lot of people I go to school with... however, I have a great costume! It's Tigger (basically some white and black stripes sewn on an orange dress) and my best friend is Winnie the Pooh!

And the worst...

Expect this to mostly be me complaining, but since nothing bad has happened in the last week really I'll just say some funny gossip. A girl who I used to be friends with (we will call her Anna since I imagine she will be brought up often, she's rather funny) recently got with a kinda-ex thing a month ago. She's super catholic, he's very sexually focused, and so she is suggesting they get married and putting it all over social media... he is seemingly trying to create distance and it's quite funny to watch...

Best Song At the Moment:

Into You by Ariana Grande (I can't really explain why I'm just loving this song at the moment)

Tagged Friends:

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
I can relate to so much of what you've gone through. In my previous school, I was disliked by everyone for no reason to the point of bullying. In the school I'm at now I'm not necessarily disliked, but I'm invisible. I have a group of friends which is nice though. I do dislike a number of people in my school too. I've applied to 3 of the same universities as you all for the same course which is cool. Going to UCL or LSE is my dream too :smile:
I'll follow this thread! :rofl3:
Original post by juicyapples
I can relate to so much of what you've gone through. In my previous school, I was disliked by everyone for no reason to the point of bullying. In the school I'm at now I'm not necessarily disliked, but I'm invisible. I have a group of friends which is nice though. I do dislike a number of people in my school too. I've applied to 3 of the same universities as you all for the same course which is cool. Going to UCL or LSE is my dream too :smile:
I'll follow this thread! :rofl3:

I feel like more people can relate than I think! It's awful, but I'm leaving in like 6 months so i'll just cope... loads of people are horrid to me but only because they think one guy really hates me, who actually thinks the opposite :/ I kinda wish I was invisible at my school because it's all drama! That's so cool that we've applied for the same course and to similar unis - I hope you get the offers you want! :biggrin:
Original post by Michelle08
I feel like more people can relate than I think! It's awful, but I'm leaving in like 6 months so i'll just cope... loads of people are horrid to me but only because they think one guy really hates me, who actually thinks the opposite :/ I kinda wish I was invisible at my school because it's all drama! That's so cool that we've applied for the same course and to similar unis - I hope you get the offers you want! :biggrin:

I am just really looking forward to uni and having a fresh start. I can't wait to finish my A levels. I distance myself from the crowds so I don't get involved in any of the drama. I have a few good friends and that's all I need I guess :smile: . And good luck to you too with getting the grades and everything!
rs.jpg
BACK TO SCHOOL!!!

I went back to school on Monday! First thing was a double free, which eases me into the week (I've always had the joys of a double free on a monday morning). I've spent most of my frees this week doing Geography revision since I have an assessment on Friday. I then had RE first, and we started on conscience which is quite interesting. I also handed in an essay which I actually found out was in for Wednesday. After break, I had my first Geography lesson, where we were doing Coasts - I did this at GCSE so it's quite samey especially since not everybody in my year has done it. I found out from my teacher that I'm getting the Geography prize at Prize Day which is good, mostly because I get £10 and there's a guy in my class who keeps on going on about how he's better than me so I know he's not. After lunch I had French which was mostly going over marked work so was fairly dry, and then another double free which was spent revising Geography/being amused by people's shade in the common room.

Tuesday was a tad more amusing. I had RE, where I really understood what was going on and managed to win an argument that happened. Then French, where we had a discussion about Politics, which I'm really into but my teacher is not properly informed on so it was funny. I then had a free and then my violin lesson - and in the free I learned of some interesting gossip which I think is unfolding today. After lunch, again I had Geography which I love because I sit next to one of my closest friends. In my free at the end of the day I was insulted for an hour to try and gain attention, which I didn't give but it's tiring.

On Wednesdays I only have RE over lunch which is annoying. I spent all my morning doing Geography revision which was fun. I then went to my friends to have pasta after RE. In terms of extra work, I'm working on several essays for RE, obviously doing my Geography revision and doing all the work on the French presentation which I can at the moment!

Best Thing to Happen since I last posted...
I went to a party on Saturday and I actually was not upset by anything and everybody I spoke to was nice to me!!

Worst Thing to Happen...
That girl Anna spent the whole free on Tuesday afternoon saying about how unhappy I make people and then this morning was saying basically that anything I've done in the last months socially has failed. I know it's because she's insecure but it's so tiring to hear...

Best Song At the Moment

Tagged Friends:

Spoiler

What is wrong with that Anna girl? She sounds so sad.. Like she's obsessed with you.
what the hell?! why does Anna even care about you? if she spent the whole free insulting you, that's just rude. please don't feel bad about her insults. she just can't keep her mouth shut.
hope you're not feeling horrible :hugs:
(and what i would do for a double free :giggle:)
Original post by juicyapples
What is wrong with that Anna girl? She sounds so sad.. Like she's obsessed with you.

Original post by nyxnko_
what the hell?! why does Anna even care about you? if she spent the whole free insulting you, that's just rude. please don't feel bad about her insults. she just can't keep her mouth shut.
hope you're not feeling horrible :hugs:
(and what i would do for a double free :giggle:)

She's very socially inept, and in our year isn't particularly popular for her doing this or speaking so loud etc. I feel bad for her because she seems mildly deluded in her popularity but whatever!! I'm trying to ignore her... she spent Tuesday being horrid about meeting her boyfriend's parents which he got mad at her for so lets see what happens! I'm feeling okay about it...

And double frees aren't that brilliant!! My periods at school are only 35 minutes so all my lessons are practically doubles (well that's a lie because I have 9 periods a day so clearly the maths doesn't add up :colondollar:).
haven't listened to that years and years song yet:teeth:
may i be tagged?:smile:
Original post by Michelle08
She's very socially inept, and in our year isn't particularly popular for her doing this or speaking so loud etc. I feel bad for her because she seems mildly deluded in her popularity but whatever!! I'm trying to ignore her... she spent Tuesday being horrid about meeting her boyfriend's parents which he got mad at her for so lets see what happens! I'm feeling okay about it...

And double frees aren't that brilliant!! My periods at school are only 35 minutes so all my lessons are practically doubles (well that's a lie because I have 9 periods a day so clearly the maths doesn't add up :colondollar:).

She sounds horrid imo
Fair enough but lessons in my school are 1 hour (or thereabouts) so 2 hours of just nothing is actually quite fun :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending