The Student Room Group

Best ways for an introvert to make friend/s at univeristy?

What is the best way for someone who has no current friends and can not drink to make friends at university? Are there any societies that would be good for this? I would just like at least one friend.
Reply 1
As someone in your position:

- Join a society or two. Find an existing interest (or something new you would like to try) and talk to the people there. It's a bet they'll talk to you and making some form of friends is likely.

- Talk to your flatmates. Whilst my ex-flatmates were not the best (They only really wanted to talk when they needed something from me or they were drunk and needed help) and half of my current flat tend not to speak to me either, yours might be the best friends you never knew about until you spoke to them.

- Talk before your lectures. Seriously, just talk to somebody in your lectures. There could be someone in your lecture hall who looks alone and probably wants to talk to somebody as well. Make a bit of a push out of the old comfort zone and say hello. Not much can go wrong.

- Try going out with your flatmates. Going out on a social night with your flatmates does not mean you have to drink. Lots of people think that University = Alcohol which just isn't the case. It's better to find some way to get yourself out there and meet people.

Trust me, I know it's hard. I've been trying to "make friends" since 1st Year, and I'm now in my 2nd. It's hard when you don't find yourself as outgoing as everybody else and you can see people in their groups of friends that you just don't have, but don't end up like me and push yourself out of your comfort zone. You can do it!

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Frazzles
As someone in your position:

- Join a society or two. Find an existing interest (or something new you would like to try) and talk to the people there. It's a bet they'll talk to you and making some form of friends is likely.

- Talk to your flatmates. Whilst my ex-flatmates were not the best (They only really wanted to talk when they needed something from me or they were drunk and needed help) and half of my current flat tend not to speak to me either, yours might be the best friends you never knew about until you spoke to them.

- Talk before your lectures. Seriously, just talk to somebody in your lectures. There could be someone in your lecture hall who looks alone and probably wants to talk to somebody as well. Make a bit of a push out of the old comfort zone and say hello. Not much can go wrong.

- Try going out with your flatmates. Going out on a social night with your flatmates does not mean you have to drink. Lots of people think that University = Alcohol which just isn't the case. It's better to find some way to get yourself out there and meet people.

Trust me, I know it's hard. I've been trying to "make friends" since 1st Year, and I'm now in my 2nd. It's hard when you don't find yourself as outgoing as everybody else and you can see people in their groups of friends that you just don't have, but don't end up like me and push yourself out of your comfort zone. You can do it!

Good luck!

I needed to read something like this. Thank you.
Reply 3
Immerse... don't be afraid. Is how I learned French.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending