The Student Room Group

uni

hi im going into uni this year and im kinda worried i'll end up with no friends. did everyone make friends on the first day?
Reply 1
Don't worry, you will make friends in lessons, could take some time depending on how much of a people person you are. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by gojo
hi im going into uni this year and im kinda worried i'll end up with no friends. did everyone make friends on the first day?

im entering my final year and am still very good friends with the first person i met at uni! Try societies, going to uni events and introducing yourself to new people. On my first day my friend and I decided to explore campus together to find all our classrooms whilst getting to know each other and it was really useful to do, slowly our friendship group grew because we started sitting with new people in class and we were introduced to a friends' friend. My advice would be to upt ourself out there an not worry too much, you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by Bean_cat
im entering my final year and am still very good friends with the first person i met at uni! Try societies, going to uni events and introducing yourself to new people. On my first day my friend and I decided to explore campus together to find all our classrooms whilst getting to know each other and it was really useful to do, slowly our friendship group grew because we started sitting with new people in class and we were introduced to a friends' friend. My advice would be to upt ourself out there an not worry too much, you'll be fine :smile:

Would you say that it's harder to make friends if you live at home rather than in accommodation which is close by? Also not a people person so hope there's some sort of introvert society or something lol.
Original post by gojo

Hi @gojo 👋

Which uni and what course did you decide on?

You might not make friends on the very first day, but you'll meet people if you're staying in halls, see if you can join in with any group chats and let people know you're free to hang out, see if anyone wants to go explore campus with you. Turn up to SU activities, you'll find you bump into the same people so if you recognise familiar faces then strike up a conversation

Go to freshers fair and check out your uni societies, as clubs and extra curriculars are the best way to meet people with similar interests

Everyone is in the same situation and just figuring out life as much as you are ☺️ You got this!

Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Reply 5
Original post by toxicgamage56
Would you say that it's harder to make friends if you live at home rather than in accommodation which is close by? Also not a people person so hope there's some sort of introvert society or something lol.

Honestly, I've gotten along with things just fine as both an introvert and by living at home - these really haven't affected me negatively at all and i've had plenty of meetups with friends outside of uni. Though it is worth trying to get out of one's shell a bit, just so that you can meet a variety of people. tbh you're probably going to meet people in group assignments and others will be talkative too.
Reply 6
Original post by EssexStudentRep
Hi @gojo 👋

Which uni and what course did you decide on?

You might not make friends on the very first day, but you'll meet people if you're staying in halls, see if you can join in with any group chats and let people know you're free to hang out, see if anyone wants to go explore campus with you. Turn up to SU activities, you'll find you bump into the same people so if you recognise familiar faces then strike up a conversation

Go to freshers fair and check out your uni societies, as clubs and extra curriculars are the best way to meet people with similar interests

Everyone is in the same situation and just figuring out life as much as you are ☺️ You got this!

law at aston!
Original post by Bean_cat
Honestly, I've gotten along with things just fine as both an introvert and by living at home - these really haven't affected me negatively at all and i've had plenty of meetups with friends outside of uni. Though it is worth trying to get out of one's shell a bit, just so that you can meet a variety of people. tbh you're probably going to meet people in group assignments and others will be talkative too.

Yeah, uni's going to be a clean slate so I want to make it worth the time. Esp since it's gonna be nightmare hours in a career afterwards lol.
Original post by gojo
law at aston!

Nice, I'm doing law too!
Reply 9
Original post by toxicgamage56
Nice, I'm doing law too!

oh cool 😎! good luck to both of us lol
Original post by gojo
law at aston!

Aw nice, hope you enjoy it 👨*⚖️⚖️

Looks like their societies fair is 19th September if you get a chance to check it out to see what you might like to join. And there's always the Law society so you can meet people also studying law. Get chatting to second and third years too as they can give good advice on what you can expect from your course
https://www.astonsu.com/activities/clubsandsocieties/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending