The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Just put 'Dear Sir or Madam'
Usually the email will go through a secretary first anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
Reply 2
I'd put "To whom it may concern" which is what I usually put when addressing things to people I don't know the name of.
Reply 3
Depending on what you're emailing them about, it might be a better idea to phone and ask for a specific person to email. This is suitable if it's a question specific to your application - such as dropping a subject - but not really necessary for general queries.
Reply 4
you aren't writing a letter to the queen, just be casual!

I start mine of with a 'hello there'.
is it even necessary to address them?

can't you just skip that and get straight to the point?
You could just go with a friendly "Good Evening" or "Good Morning"
Reply 7
Original post by StillIll
I'd put "To whom it may concern" which is what I usually put when addressing things to people I don't know the name of.

This.
Reply 8
Be formal.

Pick one person and find their specific [email protected]
Surely there is a head of admissions?

Begin "Dear Dr/Mrs/Mr X"
End "Kind regards"

Corresponding with an admissions officer, particularly regarding an application, is serious, and requires a formal format.
Reply 9
Address it to both or to Dear Sir/Madam
Reply 10
I just put 'hi' and 'thank you'. It's only a university.
I second the good morning/afternoon/evening. Works every time. :cool:
'Hi' works best. People vastly overstate the actual need to use To-whom-it-may-concern's and Dear-Sir-or-Madam's. I tend to find it's not something anyone actually ever uses in real life, it's just a formality taught at schools when 'formal' language is considered. Of course, this is not 100% true, but you can't go wrong with:

Hi,

I am writing in relation to...

Blah blah blah.

Kind regards,
Me.
If I don't know who will be reading the message, I use "Dear Sir or Madam" and "Yours faithfully"; if I do know the person whom I am writing to, then I use "Dear Dr. X / Mr. X / Mrs. X etc." and "Yours sincerely". :smile:
How do u go into an admissions department letter?
Dear sirs and madams,

Original post by Moya sanders
How do u go into an admissions department letter?

**** you with your 6 year bump.
Original post by JohanGRK
Damn, you're now an accomplice to a bump

how does that feel eh

Now I realise why my dad doesn't love me.

Latest

Trending

Trending