The Student Room Group

Tfl fake 16+ oyster

Hello

I'm writing on behalf someone I know. This person just turnt 19 a week ago.
received a letter today from transport for London stating they found an irregularity in the application.

This person made a mistake and not fully being aware of the consequences of buying a fake birth certificate in order to get a 16+ oyster. They've got 10 days (now 6 days) to submit evidence ect otherwise legal proceedings can be taken.

Two options were given - either deny the offence or accept the offence providing exceptional circumstances to why they should not prosecute

My question is what can happen if they do prosecute?

What if the letter is ignored

Can they make a plea bargain with the details of the person who made the fake birth certificate

If they admit the offence can they get away with a fine?

Can they go into prison?

What is the best way to word and write the response? Any advice will be very much appreciated

Thanks
Original post by Annonxo
I'm writing on behalf someone I know.

Of course you are.
Reply 2
No I'm actually being serious 😂😂
Original post by Annonxo
No I'm actually being serious 😂😂

Original post by Annonxo
Hello

I'm writing on behalf someone I know. This person just turnt 19 a week ago.
received a letter today from transport for London stating they found an irregularity in the application.

This person made a mistake and not fully being aware of the consequences of buying a fake birth certificate in order to get a 16+ oyster. They've got 10 days (now 6 days) to submit evidence ect otherwise legal proceedings can be taken.

Two options were given - either deny the offence or accept the offence providing exceptional circumstances to why they should not prosecute

My question is what can happen if they do prosecute?

What if the letter is ignored

Can they make a plea bargain with the details of the person who made the fake birth certificate

If they admit the offence can they get away with a fine?

Can they go into prison?

What is the best way to word and write the response? Any advice will be very much appreciated

Thanks

It’s a bit difficult. The fact that they have obtained a fake birth certificate is a serious offence in itself. If they admit it then they are admitting to fraud and forgery, but can apologise and escape with a fine, even volunteer to do unpaid work for them, in exchange for no criminal proceedings.

If they deny it then they’re opening up the chance of legal proceedings and authorities will certainly want to investigate where they got the fake birth certificate from! Fake birth certificates and other ID documents don't come in boxes of cornflakes! They often come from the kinds of people involved in illegal immigration and organised crime.

My advice is for your mate to see a lawyer.
Reply 5
thank you for taking the time to respond I was thinking the same thing. just one stupid mistake can hinder her entire future.
Original post by Annonxo
not fully being aware of the consequences of buying a fake birth certificate in order to get a 16+ oyster.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, no, who'da thunk acquiring forged documents and using them to perpetrate a fraud for monetary gain would be seen as something of an issue.
Reply 7
Original post by Ambitious1999
It’s a bit difficult. The fact that they have obtained a fake birth certificate is a serious offence in itself. If they admit it then they are admitting to fraud and forgery, but can apologise and escape with a fine, even volunteer to do unpaid work for them, in exchange for no criminal proceedings.

If they deny it then they’re opening up the chance of legal proceedings and authorities will certainly want to investigate where they got the fake birth certificate from! Fake birth certificates and other ID documents don't come in boxes of cornflakes! They often come from the kinds of people involved in illegal immigration and organised crime.

My advice is for your mate to see a lawyer.

Do you think there's any point in contacting tfl first to get more info. on the letter. Kt just said there was an irregularity which needs to be investigated and doesnt not specifically mention what the irregularity actually is?
Reply 8
has anything happened yet?
Yes has anything happened? Please let me know what consequences she faced as I’m In the same situation
Reply 10
Just seen your message now. Nothing has happened ... she did not reply to them. Hows things going for u
Reply 11
Original post by Feb_in
has anything happened yet?

Just seen your message now.

Nothing has happened ... she did not reply to them.

Hows things going for u

Quick Reply

Latest