The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

What is computer science at Queen's Belfast like ?

Hi, I wanted to get some more information from students who have previously studies/are studying at Queen's uni in Belfast, being interested in their integrated masters with placement degree myself.
How do you like the course ?
How are the lecturers ?
Overall thoughts ?
What is the city life like ?
Do you recommend the uni ?
Thanks you for any response :smile:
I did computer science in primary school
We did 'scratch' there, I made a movie where a cat jumped on a mat, as for belfast I dont know.
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Original post by TomasMrkva
Hi, I wanted to get some more information from students who have previously studies/are studying at Queen's uni in Belfast, being interested in their integrated masters with placement degree myself.
How do you like the course ?
How are the lecturers ?
Overall thoughts ?
What is the city life like ?
Do you recommend the uni ?
Thanks you for any response :smile:

Hi, current final year student here! I'm doing Software Engineering (was on masters but dropped to bachelor's). They are very similar so I know how they differ.

First thing - the degree is good, the uni is great but it's not what I expected at all. I expected difficult modules, a hard, technical degree. What actually happened for me was I never go to lectures and I'm still sitting on a 1st (I have only dropped a First in one module, my lowest has been 65%).

In not saying that to say it's boring or too easy, I'm just saying that because my biggest fear at the start was that it would be too difficult. In actual fact, CS and SE are subjects which you can self study for and be fine. I don't learn well from lecturers, do I self study and do my own practice (with the exception of first year programming - programming is essential, without it the rest of the degree is very very difficult so if you don't have prior knowledge go to absolutely everything).

The modules are much more rigid than I expected. Computer Science has more options than my SE, but it's still quick set in stone until final year. The only difference between CS and SE up until final year is one or two modules - one of these, Theory of Computation I believe it was called (2nd year), is extremely maths based. A lot of people struggled - so of your maths ability is grand, it's fine, but I was very glad to be software engineering at that point. First year is basically all shared (we all did programming in Java, bit of networks/architecture/databases, a terrible project module that wasn't very technical at all) and the 2nd year it's basically more comp architecture, prep for placement nodule, basics if programming in C++ and a Android studio game making project. Unfortunately the game project had to be a card game the last 2 years, they may change it up a bit. Other than some rules, we had a lot of freedom with the game we made. Third year you have all the same modules as SE, with the addition of artificial intelligence and a few other modules. CS students have so many more options than SE, projects for final year can be more research based however whereas SE is practical. (this is true for now, modules etc. May change as I know there is talk around it).

If you are a CS masters student, you do not do a final year project until your masters year. I cannot confirm if this is true, but I have heard it becomes a higher standard project with a bit more difficulty. Masters students have a pass mark lf 55% for modules (the normal is 40%) - if you go below 55% you may be demoted to a bachelor's. I dropped voluntarily at the start of this year - I have found I no longer wish to work in software (animals and animal welfare has my heart), but I still think the courses has been incredible in the problem solving and logical skills it has given me.

Lecturers are all great - there has only been 1 or 2 excsptionsy, one being a very infamous exception to that rule that I have found 😂 if you go, it won't take you long to find out who. All the lecturers are very casual, friendly and helpful. The practical demonstrators that help in practicals are just final year students so there's no awkwardness and you can go to them for anything - I'm currently a demonstrator myself for first year Java programming.

Placement - I did my placement as a QA tester and while testing can be boring at times, I loved my placement company and the people there. Do take industrial placement whoever you go, it's invaluable on a CV and really let's you know what you are in for - even though I don't want to work in this industry anymore, it was a very valuable experience (and actually having money is great, it built up a bit of a savings fund for me). It's not that hard to secure placement, and the opportunities to go abroad, down south to Dublin or just stay in Belfast are vast. Most people don't have a problem, I got my offer at my top choice after one interview, and it was my first and last placement interview.

I can't really talk first hand about nightlife and things - I'm not a partying person, but I do know there's no shortage of pubs, clubs and pub crawls 😂 I much prefer a quiet drink in a bar than proper nights out - there's something for everyone. My favourite things to go out to are pub quizzes - there's never a shortage of popular pub quizzes! QUB Quizmasters famously running the most popular themed quizzes with the best prizes e.g. Harry Potter quiz always has tickets to Harry Potter studios did the winner.

Accommodatiom recommendations - I'm a home student, so I was deemed ever do slightly too close to Belfast (which is ridiculous, I'm a 45 minute drive away) to get into elms halls. I know a lot of people loved that experience, but I'm actually not really glad I didn't get in - I'd have hated it! If you want that social, people partying and dirty dishes experience then go for it but I was so much happier in private rented accommodatiom, and it was soooo much cheaper.

Any other questions feel free to DM me 😁 overall, I definitely love queens and I definitely do recommend the degree.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi, thanks for an amazing reply :O, I'm actually an EU student so I can't really attend open days so your post is really usefull for me :biggrin:....deciding between 10 Universities all around UK comparing their modules, costs of living etc, The Students room is mostly the only ubiased form of information I've got. Thank you again, will definitely message you if I decide for Belfast :smile:
Original post by TomasMrkva
Hi, thanks for an amazing reply :O, I'm actually an EU student so I can't really attend open days so your post is really usefull for me :biggrin:....deciding between 10 Universities all around UK comparing their modules, costs of living etc, The Students room is mostly the only ubiased form of information I've got. Thank you again, will definitely message you if I decide for Belfast :smile:

Living costs are the cheapest you will get! Private accommodation rent is usually from £220-280 per month. You only really go to the higher end of that if you live with very few people - 3 people house share is best I think, that's what opted for. A lot of people share houses of 5 or 6, but seemed a bit much for me.

If coming to Belfast and renting a house - avoid the 'Holy Lands'! (usually biblical street names, google it unsure). Go nowhere near the holy lands, it's a nightmare 😂
Original post by jburnside615
Hi, current final year student here! I'm doing Software Engineering (was on masters but dropped to bachelor's). They are very similar so I know how they differ.

First thing - the degree is good, the uni is great but it's not what I expected at all. I expected difficult modules, a hard, technical degree. What actually happened for me was I never go to lectures and I'm still sitting on a 1st (I have only dropped a First in one module, my lowest has been 65%).

In not saying that to say it's boring or too easy, I'm just saying that because my biggest fear at the start was that it would be too difficult. In actual fact, CS and SE are subjects which you can self study for and be fine. I don't learn well from lecturers, do I self study and do my own practice (with the exception of first year programming - programming is essential, without it the rest of the degree is very very difficult so if you don't have prior knowledge go to absolutely everything).

The modules are much more rigid than I expected. Computer Science has more options than my SE, but it's still quick set in stone until final year. The only difference between CS and SE up until final year is one or two modules - one of these, Theory of Computation I believe it was called (2nd year), is extremely maths based. A lot of people struggled - so of your maths ability is grand, it's fine, but I was very glad to be software engineering at that point. First year is basically all shared (we all did programming in Java, bit of networks/architecture/databases, a terrible project module that wasn't very technical at all) and the 2nd year it's basically more comp architecture, prep for placement nodule, basics if programming in C++ and a Android studio game making project. Unfortunately the game project had to be a card game the last 2 years, they may change it up a bit. Other than some rules, we had a lot of freedom with the game we made. Third year you have all the same modules as SE, with the addition of artificial intelligence and a few other modules. CS students have so many more options than SE, projects for final year can be more research based however whereas SE is practical. (this is true for now, modules etc. May change as I know there is talk around it).

If you are a CS masters student, you do not do a final year project until your masters year. I cannot confirm if this is true, but I have heard it becomes a higher standard project with a bit more difficulty. Masters students have a pass mark lf 55% for modules (the normal is 40%) - if you go below 55% you may be demoted to a bachelor's. I dropped voluntarily at the start of this year - I have found I no longer wish to work in software (animals and animal welfare has my heart), but I still think the courses has been incredible in the problem solving and logical skills it has given me.

Lecturers are all great - there has only been 1 or 2 excsptionsy, one being a very infamous exception to that rule that I have found 😂 if you go, it won't take you long to find out who. All the lecturers are very casual, friendly and helpful. The practical demonstrators that help in practicals are just final year students so there's no awkwardness and you can go to them for anything - I'm currently a demonstrator myself for first year Java programming.

Placement - I did my placement as a QA tester and while testing can be boring at times, I loved my placement company and the people there. Do take industrial placement whoever you go, it's invaluable on a CV and really let's you know what you are in for - even though I don't want to work in this industry anymore, it was a very valuable experience (and actually having money is great, it built up a bit of a savings fund for me). It's not that hard to secure placement, and the opportunities to go abroad, down south to Dublin or just stay in Belfast are vast. Most people don't have a problem, I got my offer at my top choice after one interview, and it was my first and last placement interview.

I can't really talk first hand about nightlife and things - I'm not a partying person, but I do know there's no shortage of pubs, clubs and pub crawls 😂 I much prefer a quiet drink in a bar than proper nights out - there's something for everyone. My favourite things to go out to are pub quizzes - there's never a shortage of popular pub quizzes! QUB Quizmasters famously running the most popular themed quizzes with the best prizes e.g. Harry Potter quiz always has tickets to Harry Potter studios did the winner.

Accommodatiom recommendations - I'm a home student, so I was deemed ever do slightly too close to Belfast (which is ridiculous, I'm a 45 minute drive away) to get into elms halls. I know a lot of people loved that experience, but I'm actually not really glad I didn't get in - I'd have hated it! If you want that social, people partying and dirty dishes experience then go for it but I was so much happier in private rented accommodatiom, and it was soooo much cheaper.

Any other questions feel free to DM me 😁 overall, I definitely love queens and I definitely do recommend the degree.

Hi very late to this sorry, could you talk a bit about the final year project? Currently on my placement year and I will be going in to final year of software engineering. I'm a bit nervous after people doing different degrees talk about how hard their dissertation was. Do you have to do a dissertation for software engineering? Is it group work, or is there a practical part? Sorry if these are stupid questions honestly I have no idea what a dissertation for CS/SE would even look like never mind where to begin 😂
Original post by Anonymous
Hi very late to this sorry, could you talk a bit about the final year project? Currently on my placement year and I will be going in to final year of software engineering. I'm a bit nervous after people doing different degrees talk about how hard their dissertation was. Do you have to do a dissertation for software engineering? Is it group work, or is there a practical part? Sorry if these are stupid questions honestly I have no idea what a dissertation for CS/SE would even look like never mind where to begin 😂

Hi Anon,

Just in case you don't get replies to this as it's a really old thread, I believe you do more of a final year project rather than a regular dissertation. However, I'm not completely sure so I'd message [email protected] to ask:smile: Sorry I can't be more help, I don't know anyone who does SE and there's nobody who does it on our chat to students function:frown: Could you talk to one of your previous module coordinators/head of the course about it?

Thanks,
Emily, Team Queen's
Original post by Queen's University Belfast Student Reps
Hi Anon,

Just in case you don't get replies to this as it's a really old thread, I believe you do more of a final year project rather than a regular dissertation. However, I'm not completely sure so I'd message [email protected] to ask:smile: Sorry I can't be more help, I don't know anyone who does SE and there's nobody who does it on our chat to students function:frown: Could you talk to one of your previous module coordinators/head of the course about it?

Thanks,
Emily, Team Queen's

Thanks Emily, I'll do that, thanks for the reply!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending