The Student Room Group

Manchester Metropolitan, London Southbank or Birmingham City for law

Hi, I have received and unconditional offer from LSBU and unconditional (if firm) from MMU and BCU to study law. I currently study A level Literature, English language and History and was predicted ABB. I honestly can’t decide which uni to firm. I know you can’t always trust legume tables, but LSBU ranks 13th for law on the guardian league table whereas BCU and MMU rank around 50th so that’s quite a difference. However LSBU seems to have less students my age and I wasn’t too keen on it when I looked round. I loved BCU and I honestly don’t know why it has its bad reputation. I learned so much just from one mock lecture and the accommodation is stunning, they seem to have put a lot of money into it. MMU didn’t seem too bad either. I know Law is very elitist and none of these unis really cut it but which one out of the three would people advise me to pick?
(edited 5 years ago)
What about your other 2?

The reason you got unconditionals as an exceptional candidate is because those unis attract students with BBC-BBC-BCC predictions. I'd not really waste my time going to any of 'em.
Original post by Notoriety
What about your other 2?

The reason you got unconditionals as an exceptional candidate is because those unis attract students with BBC-BBC-BCC predictions. I'd not really waste my time going to any of 'em.

I’m not an exceptional candidate though, my teachers were wrong to predict me ABB and I’m the kind of student who will only get BBC so my other two unis are too high. I’d just like to know which is the best out of those three. LSBU was originally quite aspirational for me as it was asking for ABB
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by anonONE1
I’m not an exceptional candidate though, my teachers were wrong to predict me ABB and I’m the kind of student who will only get BBC so my other two unis are too high. I’d just like to know which is the best out of those three. LSBU was originally quite aspirational for me as it was asking for ABB

They're all various shades of shite.

(EDIT: You can still get into law (barring a lot of firms have ABB A-Level reqs), just likely to be a bit harder. I am talking about shite from an academic POV, relative to the ABB+ courses you're considering.)

All students have doubt. Your ABB unis will no doubt take less than ABB on results day, anyway. If you don't want to give us the full picture, we cannot give you full or comprehensive advice.
(edited 5 years ago)
They're all various shades of shite.

All students have doubt. Your ABB unis will no doubt take less than ABB on results day, anyway. If you don't want to give us the full picture, we cannot give you full or comprehensive advice.

What do you want to know and I’ll give you the full picture? My other two unis were Liverpool who gave me an offer of ABB and UWE for BCC. UWE are similar to those other three. I’m not asking if they’re good, I’m not asking what shade of shite, I would just like to know out of BCU, LSBU and MMU which is the best option. I’m really struggling with my A levels and don’t feel I can achieve ABB for Liverpool, and i can’t be 100% sure that they’d accept me with BBC. If you don’t know which is better then that’s fine.
(edited 5 years ago)
What do you want to know and I’ll give you the full picture? My other two unis were Liverpool who gave me an offer of ABB and UWE for BCC. UWE are similar to those other three. I’m not asking if they’re good, I’m not asking what shade of shite, I would just like to know out of BCU, LSBU and MMU which is the best option. I’m really struggling with my A levels and don’t feel I can achieve ABB for Liverpool, and i can’t be 100% sure that they’d accept me with BBC.

Liverpool doesn't really require ABB. 21.1% of their enrolments in 2017 had BBB (according to their response to my freedom of information request). My request was standard across QMUL and below, so unfortunately I didn't ask Liverpool about sub-BBB grades. I imagine there were some with BBC and so on.

But bear in mind, you do have Adjustment should you take MMU, LSBU or BCU and exceed their conditional offers (I don't believe it is available for unconditionals).

(EDIT: A bit of advice. Leave the UWE, BCUs and so on for clearing; be a bit more aspirational with your initial 5.)
Liverpool doesn't really require ABB. 21.1% of their enrolments in 2017 had BBB (according to their response to my freedom of information request). My request was standard across QMUL and below, so unfortunately I didn't ask Liverpool about sub-BBB grades. I imagine there were some with BBC and so on.

But bear in mind, you do have Adjustment should you take MMU, LSBU or BCU and exceed their conditional offers (I don't believe it is available for unconditionals).

Oh that sounds a bit more promising then. Even if I did firm Liverpool I’d still need to know which to put as my insurance, as it likely that I’ll end up with my second choice.
Oh that sounds a bit more promising then. Even if I did firm Liverpool I’d still need to know which to put as my insurance, as it likely that I’ll end up with my second choice.

I would probably base it on where you wanna live, as I don't believe there is a huge difference in resources.
Hi, I have received and unconditional offer from LSBU and unconditional (if firm) from MMU and BCU to study law. I currently study A level Literature, English language and History and was predicted ABB. I honestly can’t decide which uni to firm. I know you can’t always trust legume tables, but LSBU ranks 13th for law on the guardian league table whereas BCU and MMU rank around 50th so that’s quite a difference. However LSBU seems to have less students my age and I wasn’t too keen on it when I looked round. I loved BCU and I honestly don’t know why it has its bad reputation. I learned so much just from one mock lecture and the accommodation is stunning, they seem to have put a lot of money into it. MMU didn’t seem too bad either. I know Law is very elitist and none of these unis really cut it but which one out of the three would people advise me to pick?

Hi, I agree with Notoriety that with Law being so elitist, you really need to aim as high as you possibly can, so I would Firm Liverpool and work my hardest to achieve BBB (it is possible they would still take you with BBC but no guarantee).

Of the other 4, I would put Manchester Met as my Insurance because it's a higher rated Institution for Law than BCU. Or another option would be to not have an Insurance, and take your chances in Clearing because there may be better places with vacancies. That would be a bit of a gamble - your choice :smile:
can i ask how long it took you to receive an offer from MMU?
Original post by lauren2451
can i ask how long it took you to receive an offer from MMU?

UCAS processed my application on the 7th December and I got my offer on 3rd January. They were the last uni to get back to me though most got to me within a week

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending