The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2018-19

Scroll to see replies

i sat my modies prelim today and it went ok hopfully i will atleast past but im not too sure becasue i have been failing all of my essays recently I was panicking all over the holidays tho because i didnt know half the content so a few days ago i went panicking to my teacher and he told me secretly what was in the prelim and then i just learned the essays which were in it. If he didnt tell me omg i would definatly fail 100%
Original post by guesswho34
i sat my modies prelim today and it went ok hopfully i will atleast past but im not too sure becasue i have been failing all of my essays recently I was panicking all over the holidays tho because i didnt know half the content so a few days ago i went panicking to my teacher and he told me secretly what was in the prelim and then i just learned the essays which were in it. If he didnt tell me omg i would definatly fail 100%

What essays came up? We say ours back in December
so for usa we got a 12 marker on social - economic inequalties. I didnt have time to learn this so i made all the facts up
for democracy i got a 20 marker on how the parliament is effective in holding the gov to account
and for social inequalites weve only learned about health so we got a 20 marker on that
so for usa we got a 12 marker on social - economic inequalties. I didnt have time to learn this so i made all the facts up
for democracy i got a 20 marker on how the parliament is effective in holding the gov to account
and for social inequalites weve only learned about health so we got a 20 marker on that

Yeah for democracy we got holding the government to account or participation
How r u finding the essays so far r ur results good? Mine r awful I’ve done 7 essays and only passed 3
Reply 65
How r u finding the essays so far r ur results good? Mine r awful I’ve done 7 essays and only passed 3

If it makes you feel any better, my class have done no essays so I have no idea if I’m any good at them 😁😁😁😁
Oh god lol that’s bad 😬 guess were all failing aha x
Wow I wish my teacher would do that everyone is complaining how bad he is lol, I’m just hoping he’s been nice and given us good essay topics cos I’ll die if it’s something I haven’t been studying for
Reply 68
Anybody doing their assignment on the House of Lords?
Tbh he only told me because I was panicking so much and I was on the verge of tears and a mental breakdown aha
I have a modern studies prelim tomorrow, teacher is a bit of a mongo n hasn’t told us what we need to know. I’m really freaking out because there’s so much he hasn’t even taught us and has left school for a bit so now we get random teachers. Can anyone give me examples of what’s going to be in it so I can do some research please. Thank uu
Nobody asked but I’m gonna say it anyway 😂. Mods essays are more of about structure and repetition, basically say a fact, say a statement about that fact and then say a statement about that statement. (KU > A > E) for a 12 mark essay, repeat at least for times. For a twenty mark essay, repeat five times but have an intro (couple KU and back ground sentences) and a conclusion (a series of small statements summarising your paragraphs / points plus an analysis and then final judgement).

E.g.

One example of a petition is the petition for banning uniform requirements at work reached over one million signatories (KU), this means that petitions are effective as they allow for the public to show strong support for a particular issue (A), HOWEVER, this petition failed to reach debate in parliament as it was deemed unnecessary by the backbench petitions committee thus making petitions an ineffective method of etc (E).

(A really rough example)

Hope this helps!
Original post by Imtihicknthatsit
I have a modern studies prelim tomorrow, teacher is a bit of a mongo n hasn’t told us what we need to know. I’m really freaking out because there’s so much he hasn’t even taught us and has left school for a bit so now we get random teachers. Can anyone give me examples of what’s going to be in it so I can do some research please. Thank uu

:wavey: Hope that your prelim went well yesterday. I've moved this into the main Higher Modern Studies thread for you- there's lots of other people here who are doing it :smile:
Anyone started there modern Studies Assignment?
Original post by sabahcw
I'm really far behind in Modern Studies, it being probably my least favourite subject! I don't mind the content, I just find the essays and the repetition extremely draining! I was wondering if anyone has any essays or essay plans from last year that they can give me!! So far I'm doing World Powers - The USA, and inequality within the USA, and Crime and The Law in the UK. Any help would be fab!!!!

:wavey: I've merged this into the main Higher Modern Studies thread- hopefully someone here can help you out :smile:
Hey, I am in thinking about crashing Modern Studies next year. (currently in S4) Would you reccomend? and Whats in the course?

Also I have never taken any Social Subject so this might be completely new to me. But I am good at english
Reply 76
I am currently crashing higher Modern Studies and I am struggling. However if you are good at English that will definitely help you and you should be fine.
Original post by agirlcalledtheo
Hey, I am in thinking about crashing Modern Studies next year. (currently in S4) Would you reccomend? and Whats in the course?

Also I have never taken any Social Subject so this might be completely new to me. But I am good at english

Honestly if you thinking about crashing a social subject I would say history is the easiest one to crash, modern studies for me involves a lot of background knowledge from nat5 and some teachers are not great at explaining things again, I’m currently crashing higher history after doing most social subjects last year and I’m getting better marks in that than in modern studies despite me taking mods last year
I take currently take national 5 modern studies and find its not a particularly hard number but there is ALOT to remmember so i think it would be quite hard to crash higher. RMPS would be quite easy to higher (or so i have heard)
Original post by SQAstudent
Honestly if you thinking about crashing a social subject I would say history is the easiest one to crash, modern studies for me involves a lot of background knowledge from nat5 and some teachers are not great at explaining things again, I’m currently crashing higher history after doing most social subjects last year and I’m getting better marks in that than in modern studies despite me taking mods last year

Original post by rachel_jeffy
I take currently take national 5 modern studies and find its not a particularly hard number but there is ALOT to remmember so i think it would be quite hard to crash higher. RMPS would be quite easy to higher (or so i have heard)

Original post by meson
I am currently crashing higher Modern Studies and I am struggling. However if you are good at English that will definitely help you and you should be fine.

THANK YOU for the advice. Despite you saying that its a hard subject to crash I like taking risks and It seems to be something I am interessted in and you never know until you try. Hopefully I will be allowed to crash. I also have lots of friends who take Modern Studies that can help me so hopefully I won't be a lost cause.
Good Luck on your Prelims!!1!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending