The Student Room Group

Failing third year of university, what should I do?

Currently studying maths at the university of nottingham and I know i'm going to fail these January exams, I've already done one and could only answer 1 question out of 4. I barely managed to get through year 2, I got a 43% grade after resits. I don't learn anything from the lectures which gets me down to the point where I don't bother attempting the exercise sheets because I don't have a clue. I also have anxiety so I've only gone to see lecturers twice about questions I have and I only know one other person on my course so its hard for me to make progress. I also have sleep problems so find it hard to wake up for morning lectures or just turn up exhausted. University has completely destroyed my confidence and ruined my passion for a subject I got 2A*s in at a level.

I want to give up but I've been told to stick it out since I only have one more term to go. Is a degree with a pass even worth anything? So i'm thinking about reading lecture notes myself for next term and powering through my anxiety to ask lecturers any questions I have. I'm convinced that the work is just too confusing for me to ever understand.

I've been looking at IT apprenticeships since this is a field I enjoy a lot but i'm not sure what level to apply for. Would a degree apprenticeship have the same workload as my current degree and would another university have a lighter workload than nottingham?

Also any other recommendations as to what I should do would be great? Should I quit uni now and what should I do instead?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by BinaryJava
Currently studying maths at the university of nottingham and I know i'm going to fail these January exams, I've already done one and could only answer 1 question out of 4. I barely managed to get through year 2, I got a 43% grade after resits. I don't learn anything from the lectures which gets me down to the point where I don't bother attempting the exercise sheets because I don't have a clue. I also have anxiety so I've only gone to see lecturers twice about questions I have and I only know one other person on my course so its hard for me to make progress. I also have sleep problems so find it hard to wake up for morning lectures or just turn up exhausted. University has completely destroyed my confidence and ruined my passion for a subject I got 2A*s in at a level.

I want to give up but I've been told to stick it out since I only have one more term to go. Is a degree with a pass even worth anything? So i'm thinking about reading lecture notes myself for next term and powering through my anxiety to ask lecturers any questions I have. I'm convinced that the work is just too confusing for me to ever understand.

I've been looking at IT apprenticeships since this is a field I enjoy a lot but i'm not sure what level to apply for. Would a degree apprenticeship have the same workload as my current degree and would another university have a lighter workload than nottingham?

Also any other recommendations as to what I should do would be great? Should I quit uni now and what should I do instead?

Your first priority should be discussing with someone at university to take a year out of uni, due to mental health issues (either course coordinator, student support officer, tutor). You're eligible to apply to the highes level apprenticeships schemes (level 4/5), as well as school leaver schemes for example Cyber Security at GSK or Software Developer at CGI. You can search scheme using talentpool, or rate my placement.

Besides that, try to do as much research as to what schemes are available, and try to narrow down which particualr jobs in IT you want to do.
Luke??? Is this you hahahahhaha
oh damn you are not, one of my close mates is also 3rd year maths at Notts and is also failing. Good luck!!
If it makes you feel better I’m in my first year at notts and have an exam in 12 hours that I’ve done no revision for. Currently on my 4th cup of coffee.
Reply 5
Original post by TheJohnM
If it makes you feel better I’m in my first year at notts and have an exam in 12 hours that I’ve done no revision for. Currently on my 4th cup of coffee.

What module is it? Could probably help (I'm in 3rd yr). Best way to tackle it is to go over your assignments along with answers, and memorise the methods.
do u suck at it cos it is basically more advanced level of stuff you couldnt do or barely could before. ive been in that situation. youre basically gonna have to put everything youve got into it even if the best ur gonna get is a third. maybe that means 16 hours days, seeing lecturer (dont be giving it the all too anxious bs ur just being a pussy) getting help from other tutors, maybe even external ones, asking ur friends to help. in my experience ppl on youtube explaining stuff way better than a lectuers ever did. i dont think u could play the mental health card on this one. wouldnt be good thing anyway cos youll probably quit and wont ever return. in regard to what do next means nothing now focus on degree. focus on that chit when ur done with it. last thing youll want to do is jump into another degree anyway
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by TheJohnM

Quick, change your degree now while you still can!!!! But seriously though if you get your calculus skills in prime shape you should be able to get a 2:1 in year 1. It’s all similar to a level apart from FPM that **** isn’t real.
Reply 8

A pass degree in this day and age is almost worthless. For those unacquainted, a pass degree is one where you failed to meet the requirements to obtain an honours degree, such as failing to achieve 40%+ in each exam. Note: it is possible to obtain an honours degree with failed modules. You need at least a third class honours degree, so I would recommend fulfilling that, or resitting the year if you can.

You could attempt to submit a mitigating circumstances form to your department, which would enable you to get a first-attempt resit next year, at all the exams that you fail to achieve 40% in the third year. A first-attempt resit means you won't be capped at 40% when you resit the exam. You can try submitting it for the first semester exams, but its possible it may be too late. That would mean its possible for you to obtain a 2.1/2.2 if you do really good in your first semester and second semester exams

Regarding your difficulties, the first thing I would recommend would be to speak to your lecturer, and if possible, send him emails every few days with lots of questions that you're confused about. You really need to get a book out, and nail down the topics. I find that lecture notes are the most confusing part, and best explained by recommended books/YouTube videos regarding that topic.

However, as a person working in the IT industry, there is some good news: your next action depends on what field you want to work in the IT industry. E.g. do you want to work as a data analyst, web developer, database developer, etc. The difficulty is, with having a third class will make it difficult to employ you for IT related industries, as that requires a 2.2 bare-minimum for most

Here's what I would do: submit a mitigating circumstances form for the first semester, then, if you feel that you cannot take your second semester exams as well, then you should suspend your studies, and study those modules during your suspension, then come back the following year. Then, if your mitigating circumstance claim is accepted, you will have first-attempt resit at both semester exams, allowing you to potentially gain a 2.1/2.2 instead of a pass degree that you're aiming for now.

Alternatively, build yourself a portfolio. Learn a new language: PhP, Javascript, whatever. Then, build yourself a few online programs, then use those programs as a portfolio. I don't know specifically what you want to do, but being in the IT industry is an excellent opportunity to build a portfolio, so it's difficult to recommend you what to do unless I know what you want to do in the IT industry
(edited 5 years ago)
Quick, change your degree now while you still can!!!! But seriously though if you get your calculus skills in prime shape you should be able to get a 2:1 in year 1. It’s all similar to a level apart from FPM that **** isn’t real.

I didn’t do alevels. I did an access course in business and I’m studying politics. lol. I enjoy it but my anxiety/borderline depression makes me leave everything to last minute ...like I need the stress of the last minute to actually do the work.
Original post by kkboyk
What module is it? Could probably help (I'm in 3rd yr). Best way to tackle it is to go over your assignments along with answers, and memorise the methods.

Politics. It’s a seen exam(9 questions and 2 will come up). The plan? Do 6 of them and then memorise. I’m not going to sleep and it’s just a 1 hour exam.
Original post by Baleroc
A pass degree in this day and age is almost worthless. For those unacquainted, a pass degree is one where you failed to meet the requirements to obtain an honours degree, such as failing to achieve 40%+ in each exam. You fail at most 4 modules (or 60 credits) maximum You need at least a third class honours degree, so I would recommend fulfilling that, or resitting the year if you can.

Its difficult to recommend anything because you should have made your issues clear at the start of the first year, or the second year at the latest. Leaving it to the last semester of the third year is the worst possible thing you could have done, because now its almost too late to change anything.

You could attempt to submit a mitigating circumstances form to your department, which would enable you to get a first-attempt resit next year, at all the exams that you fail to achieve 40% in the third year. A first-attempt resit means you won't be capped at 40% when you resit the exam. You can try submitting it for the first semester exams, but its possible it may be too late.

Regarding your difficulties, the first thing I would recommend would be to speak to your lecturer, and if possible, send him emails every few days with lots of questions that you're confused about. You really need to get a book out, and nail down the topics. I find that lecture notes are the most confusing part, and best explained by recommended books/YouTube videos regarding that topic.

However, as a person working in the IT industry, there is some good news: your next action depends on what field you want to work in the IT industry. E.g. do you want to work as a data analyst, web developer, database developer, etc. The difficulty is, with having a third class will make it difficult to employ you for IT related industries, as that requires a 2.2 bare-minimum for most

Here's what you can do: apply for the apprenticeships that you want, if thats what you want to go down. In the meantime, build yourself a portfolio. So, learn a new language: PhP, Javascript, whatever. Then, build yourself a few online programs, then use those programs as a portfolio. I don't know specifically what you want to do, but being in the IT industry is an excellent opportunity to build a portfolio, so it's difficult to recommend you what to do unless I know what you want to do in the IT industry

If I managed to get 40+% in all my modules would I get a third because that’s what I’m aiming for. First year I found the exams easy but the lectures hard so I didn’t try in second year. When third year rolled around I realised it was hard and no longer just a level with epsilons but thought I could power through it. I tried books but they end up using different notation and methods and it’s hard to find what’s relevant for my exam.

In terms of apprenticeships I’m looking down the infrastructure technician route since I enjoy that kind of thing in my spare time. I would be up for learning to code more, that’s something university gave me.
If I managed to get 40+% in all my modules would I get a third because that’s what I’m aiming for. First year I found the exams easy but the lectures hard so I didn’t try in second year. When third year rolled around I realised it was hard and no longer just a level with epsilons but thought I could power through it. I tried books but they end up using different notation and methods and it’s hard to find what’s relevant for my exam.

In terms of apprenticeships I’m looking down the infrastructure technician route since I enjoy that kind of thing in my spare time. I would be up for learning to code more, that’s something university gave me.

If you get 40%+ in all your modules in the third year, you should get a third (as detailed here: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/academicservices/qualitymanual/assessmentandawards/degree-classification.aspx)

However, it gets a lot more complicated if you fail an exam. It's best you speak to your department about this, because its possible to graduate with an honours degree with failed modules, but I don't know what the requirements for that is. So I'm not sure how best to advise you on anything but passed modules.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Baleroc
If you get 40%+ in all your modules in the third year, you should get a third (as detailed here: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/academicservices/qualitymanual/assessmentandawards/degree-classification.aspx)

However, it gets a lot more complicated if you fail an exam. It's best you speak to your department about this, because its possible to graduate with an honours degree with failed modules, but I don't know what the requirements for that is. So I'm not sure how best to advise you on anything but passed modules.

Spoke to my tutor and resitting modules in year three is not a thing so I will need my next modules to boost my average up. He didn't say anything about failed modules affecting my degree classification just that I need to get my average up. He also encouraged me to stay on so that I would have something at the end of three years. I'm seeing a GP to see about how to make this final term a positive experience.
soz not really relevant, but do u enjoy general life at nottingham, cause im thinking of transferring there from edinburgh
Original post by kkboyk

I am first year maths student and find that I can do questions to assignments and never bother with the proofs and what not. Will this hinder me in the long run? Are the proofs in the notes just there for the nerds to orgasm over, but not actually needed?
You've made it to the third year. Don't quit now. Resit the exams (or repeat the year if necessary - look into whether transfering to another university is an option if the university/city is not to your liking). Having something to show for the time you invested will be worth it.
Original post by yoink
I am first year maths student and find that I can do questions to assignments and never bother with the proofs and what not. Will this hinder me in the long run? Are the proofs in the notes just there for the nerds to orgasm over, but not actually needed?

I'm a first year too @ York. It's good to be able to derive the theorems with proofs as it gives you a deeper understanding of the topic.

I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. Some maths degrees can be tough and you are certainly not the only one to feel like this. Please go and talk to a tutor and get help. You clearly have ability so I think you can get through this - any degree is worthwhile.
Are there any postgrads that would help you? Sometimes they are better at explaining than the lecturers are and there is always youtube or people on here who will try and help.

All the best :smile:.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ben288888
soz not really relevant, but do u enjoy general life at nottingham, cause im thinking of transferring there from edinburgh

I’m really anti social so I haven’t personally experienced much here at Nottingham but if you are looking for nightlife everyone I have spoken to loves it. There’s also lots to do in Nottingham if your not into all that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending