The Student Room Group

How has Trump done at the half-way point in his presidency?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zhog
The problem with that logic is that, according to it, nobody would have locks on their front doors. Or even have them at all, why bother when intruders can go round the back or through a window?

In a rational, logical world this reply would put an end to the discussion but sadly we do not live in a rational, logical world. No, we live in a world full of people who blindly follow certain beliefs that are unwilling to bend to the truth.
The Democrats and the left in the US only care about the wall because it will work.
If they thought for a minute that it wouldn't work they wouldn't be running around by the hairs on fire.
But let's be honest here, it's all about demographics and future numbers of democrat voters.
If it was hundreds of thousands of assumed
future Republican voters streaming across the border everybody on the left, the Democrats including Nancy and Chuckie would be down there now building it Brick by Brick with their own bare hands.

Original post by Andrew97
Doesn’t matter what he does, he will always be criticised. I bet some would find a way to criticise him if he saved a disabled baby from a burning building.

Let's be honest, right now Trump could find the cure for cancer and the first thing most on the left would say is "See, he is racist!
Why hasn't he found a cure for sickle cell anemia?"
Reply 62
Is it not the case that the vast majority of illegals are visa overstayers that flew or drove in... legally? I'm sure I read something about that the other week. You will know better than I!
Reply 63
I thought that something like this was the case! One of my mates is always posting about it (he's in Atlanta), and he is usually fastidious in checking his sources.
Methinks that you're a busy lad and have not had the time to consult what the experts think, so how do you know that they think a wall would be ineffective? Might it be that the WSJ and NYT have parroted this line and you've gobbled it up like a hungry boy?

The wall might be daft, but I am deeply cynical and this whole debate is coloured by the anti-Trump and pro-Democrat silly rhetoric which fills American public life and now this board.
You fall for it too easily, perhaps because of that derangement syndrome and Trump. All that stuff you mention is no more than a front and I couldn't care less whether you disagree or not. Yeah, a lot more counselling will go a long way to deter illegal immigration.

You and yours are simply advocating the preservation of the state of affairs on the border, if not increasing it. You all want it to be that way.
Original post by Palmyra
See a doctor.

Good to hear, what time is your appointment? :biggrin:
1.2 million legal immgirants entered the US in 2016. In 2017 the number of illegal immgirants entering the US from Mexico alone was roughly 7 million.

You and your friend claim that the majority of immigrants coming into the US are of legal origin, people who overstay their visa, when the stats show that they do not make up 1/7th of the population of illegal immigrants coming from Mexico alone...

With all due respect you are a great example for what I mentioned in my previous comment. You are a blind follower of a beleif that is unwilling to bend to the truth. Your statements are as far from being factual and rational as possible.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by StrawberryDreams
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38663043

How has Trump performed in his first two years as president? This article looks at some of his campaign promises, and how he has actually delivered on them. He seems to be delivering on some aspects of his promises by using a variety of techniques, but others are proving more difficult and are now causing issues - such as the unprecedentedly long shut down of the US government over the wall bordering Mexico and the US.

What do you think of Trump's delivery of policies over the last two years? How do you think the next two years will go? Let us know what you think below!

That question really stumped me, until I realised it said presidency instead of pregnancy. Still, I can't say pretend I know what Im talking about when giving my opinion because I don't.
Original post by Notoriety
We also have a summit with leaders of the Taliban coming up, which could see a ceasefire in Afghanistan. Who knows.

After spending trillions of dollars and the blood of thousands of US soldiers to remove the Taliban in Afghanistan, the Taliban now control 70% of Afghanistan and Trump is reduced to negotiating with - thus legitimising - that same Taliban.

I hope your standard for success is higher as a lawyer than it is for Trump (i.e. not wistfully predicated on a "[w]ho knows").
Reply 70
Original post by hello_shawn
It's funny how the MSM keep shouting down achievements by conservative parties in office yet do not see the failures of their liberal idols as such

You do realise that the media is dominated by right of centre and right wing broadcasts and papers don’t you?
Original post by gjd800
Is it not the case that the vast majority of illegals are visa overstayers that flew or drove in... legally? I'm sure I read something about that the other week. You will know better than I!

This is the case in most developed countries, including the US.

The wall is a huge load of bunk. It's designed to appeal to the Christian Right voters who put Trump in (after his very late and inexplicable conversion to some kind of, er, Christian thingy, whatever) and it's based on Netanyahu's Israel Great Wall, which of course also feeds into the Christian Right manias. Illegal immigration from Mexico has in fact been falling in recent years as the Mexican economy (despite the drug wars) steadily expands, not least with all the US businesses relocating there, another trend that Trump has completely failed to halt.

Building a continuous concrete barrier that goes deep into the subsurface as well would be hugely damaging to the ecology of whole regions and would halt important animal migrations.

It would also be a sign of the US drawing in on itself and of collapse, much as the Roman mania for wall building along the frontiers in the 2nd century AD presaged the collapse of that empire.
I know you have not read the journal articles, so why pretend?
Original post by Dez
Hungary is over 100 times smaller than the US, a border wall there is clearly a far less ambitious project than it would be for the states.

Luckily the GDP of the USA is over 130x bigger than Hungary. So its not terribly more ambitious in terms of scale.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
This is the case in most developed countries, including the US.

The wall is a huge load of bunk. It's designed to appeal to the Christian Right voters who put Trump in (after his very late and inexplicable conversion to some kind of, er, Christian thingy, whatever) and it's based on Netanyahu's Israel Great Wall, which of course also feeds into the Christian Right manias. Illegal immigration from Mexico has in fact been falling in recent years as the Mexican economy (despite the drug wars) steadily expands, not least with all the US businesses relocating there, another trend that Trump has completely failed to halt.

Building a continuous concrete barrier that goes deep into the subsurface as well would be hugely damaging to the ecology of whole regions and would halt important animal migrations.

It would also be a sign of the US drawing in on itself and of collapse, much as the Roman mania for wall building along the frontiers in the 2nd century AD presaged the collapse of that empire.

Let's hope it does kill off the eco-system in the waterways around the border. At least that will stop them turning the frogs gay.
The dems didnt win because of opposition to the wall. They won because they mobilised their " Get em to the polls" voting machine. This is where they get a voter registration card into hands of. every wino, homeless person, and anyone who will trade their vote for a cup coffee and then send buses out to pick them up on voting day to get them to the polls in time to vote. They have to do this every election. because the party has moved so far to the left that maany mainstream dems have gone independent. Most Americans give a fig about the wall but do want border security.
It will be the moment you tell us what measures you would be willing to take to curb illegal immigration over the south border. If you can't provide a single one, the accusation stands. I'd start by asking Border patrol for their opinion.

As for this, best laugh of the day. Thanks for that.
(1) Walls don't work because:
(a) They negatively impact net migration. People are less likely to return to their home countries if there is a wall in place. A professor from Princeton has released his research on this area.

The first sentence is good but the rest is just, well... laughable to the point of making it impossible to take anything that follows seriously. Are you sure your Princeton professor isn't a bit of a Trumpophobe? is there a CNN or WP link to this?
(edited 5 years ago)
Even msnbc doesnt use that 7mil. figure. Border Patrol figures that roughly 60thousand a month cross illegaly at the southwest border. You are only counting Mexicans. A lot of Mex. sneek in and work a months than go back. The ones Im concerned about are from further south and cant come over and work a few than go back. they are here to stay. Total number of permanent illegals is probanly around 20mil.
the ones who overstay are not the ones creating the problems. at least they used the system to enter. The wall will help keep out the ones who are the problem. These are ones who cant use the system because of criminal histories or gang afilliation or whatever..
Original post by Fullofsurprises

:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending