The Student Room Group

National 5 choices for 4th year

My son is taking English, Maths, Geography, Modern studies and chemistry in 4th year. He has to pick another subject but not sure which one. He finds Physics hard but thinks he might need it to have a variety as still doesn't know what he wants to do later. He likes Science engineering and did better in the last test. Im not sure what to advise
Original post by ravenshill
My son is taking English, Maths, Geography, Modern studies and chemistry in 4th year. He has to pick another subject but not sure which one. He finds Physics hard but thinks he might need it to have a variety as still doesn't know what he wants to do later. He likes Science engineering and did better in the last test. Im not sure what to advise

The first question here would probably be whether there is another subject in that column that he would prefer to take?
If he's considering engineering as a career, physics is a really important subject to have, and is generally a required subject for engineering courses. With or without physics, he'd still have a good range of options open to him, and remember that subjects can always be picked back up as crash highers, usually in 6th year, if he changes his mind. Physics is one that definitely comes with practice, using mainly questions, and past papers in particular, so if he goes for it, it's definitely something he can improve on if he works at it.
Reply 2
my sons other choices are physics, engineering science or P.E as they were only allowed to take 8 subjects in 3rd year and drop to 6 subjects in 4th year
Reply 3
Since this was 4 weeks ago I don’t know if I’m to late replying but I would highly recommend he takes a language other than English.
It’s so helpful to have a modern language at any level. I personally hated Spanish when I was doing it but I now realise just how good it is to have it. Even just a Nat 5 will look good on a CV for any future employer.
Modern languages are also a lot easier than most people think. This is what you do at Nat 5 level (French German and Spanish all do this) -
Speaking - you prepare a presentation which then gets recorded, you are allowed to take in a certain number of words to prompt you with and the talk only has to last for one minute. Your teacher will then ask you a few questions which you will already have practiced in clas.
Reading and listening - these are pretty self explanatory, in the reading you read a passage and answer some questions and in the listening you listen to people speaking and answer some questions.
Coursework - this is the easiest bit and it’s worth 10% of your final grade, this year for example we have to write about tourism where we live. The coursework is not written under exam conditions, you’re allowed to get help and you don’t have to memorise it and rewrite it under exam conditions.
Writing - this is like the coursework but slightly harder as you have to memorise it. For the writing you have to write a short piece for example this year you had to write a job application (it was easy though because you included random things that you know but you would never include in a job application for example what it’s like where you live) It only has to be 100 words and you can take a dictionary into the exam with you. It’s easier than everyone thinks though because I completely blanked in my prelim and could barely remember the first paragraph and I still got half marks.
Overall modern language exams are so much easier than everyone thinks and so much more valuable that everyone thinks so if I’m not to late replying please consider taking a modern language.
I wouldn't really agree with the above- a Nat 5 language still leaves you very much as a beginner...Don't pick it because you've been told it will look good to an employer- if it's not a relevant core subject for whatever you want to do (in OP's son's case, engineering), it won't make any difference what the subject is.
If you want to pursue the language further, then absolutely it would be a good choice. If not, and you have a column where you need to pick subjects that have equal (ir)relevance to what you want to do, then choosing the one you enjoy most/are best at and getting the best grade is a more sensible option.
Reply 5
Yes but a language is a lot more than just a word on a CV I can think of other reasons it's a good choice.
Even if your son wants to do engineering he will never know where life will take him. A language is good because if he ever happens to move away from the UK he will have a second language and all the skills that comes with the language - even if he takes french and ends up going to spain his language will still help because french and spanish are very similar. Even if your son goes to germany or somewhere a second language will still help as he will have a more acquired ear to languages other than English.
A second language can also help even if he just stays in the UK, your son is highly likely to get a student job in his life. These jobs for the most part involve working with the public and you never know who's going to walk in - I worked as a waitress for 3 years and I used my Nat 5 level spanish many times for tourist who came in and they loved the fact I could properly communicate with them.
You never know where life will take you and who you'll meet on the way. Maybe your son hates languages or finds them hard but it's only a year out of his life and he will get amazing life skills out of this subject.
Of course it's entirely up to you and your son but if you can't decide what subject to do these are the reasons I would recommend a language. My school force everyone to do a modern foreign language and for good reason too.
Reply 6
Thanks for replying. My son doesn’t have a language in his choice form due to limited teachers. He has decided that if he can, he will take engineering science along with physics and will take geography the following year. Thanks for everyone’s advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending