The Student Room Group

Dundee Uni Application

I applied to do English this year at Dundee University and was set a task, with the deadline being the sixth of February, although I'm unsure about what they are asking for. The question is below and if anyone can help or provide any advice, I'd appreciate it a lot. Thank you!

Read Jim Stewart’s “Oystercatchers” and list 3 themes that you find interesting about the poem. Write a 300 word creative piece, in whatever form you choose, in relation to one of your chosen themes and in response to the original poem.
Reply 1
From what I can make of it.

1. Read the poem "Oystercatchers" by Jim Stewart.
2. Write down three themes about the poem. EG: The theme of nature and bird-watching, as shown by the subject of the poem, and detailed insights into the mannerisms of the bird. Probably link these ideas with quotes from the poem, and see if there is any context to Jim Stewarts life to see if there is reasoning.
3. Choose one such theme, and create something as a response to the poem. For example, I could write a poem about a woodpecker, based on the birdwatching theme, and talk about their specific mannerisms and habitat in a similar way to Stewart. It doesn't have to be a poem. It would be a short story, or something like that, but it has to be 300 words.

Disclaimer: I'm not an English student, but this seems to be what it's going for.
Reply 2
Original post by znedd1
From what I can make of it.

1. Read the poem "Oystercatchers" by Jim Stewart.
2. Write down three themes about the poem. EG: The theme of nature and bird-watching, as shown by the subject of the poem, and detailed insights into the mannerisms of the bird. Probably link these ideas with quotes from the poem, and see if there is any context to Jim Stewarts life to see if there is reasoning.
3. Choose one such theme, and create something as a response to the poem. For example, I could write a poem about a woodpecker, based on the birdwatching theme, and talk about their specific mannerisms and habitat in a similar way to Stewart. It doesn't have to be a poem. It would be a short story, or something like that, but it has to be 300 words.

Disclaimer: I'm not an English student, but this seems to be what it's going for.

Hey! Thank you so much for this suggestion, it's much appreciated! I've noted that you've said you aren't an English student, but it's always cool to get someone else's opinion. Would you say the 300 word covers the creative piece AND the identification of the three themes/supporting evidence?
Reply 3
Original post by winonaholic
Hey! Thank you so much for this suggestion, it's much appreciated! I've noted that you've said you aren't an English student, but it's always cool to get someone else's opinion. Would you say the 300 word covers the creative piece AND the identification of the three themes/supporting evidence?

I'd say just the creative piece.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending